Script Recording?

OBloodyHell

AU3Recorder (Alt+F6) in SciTE.

Recorded scripts are not very reliable because they rely on screen positions which change depending on the screen size and resolution.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

AU3Recorder (Alt+F6) in SciTE.

Recorded scripts are not very reliable because they rely on screen positions which change depending on the screen size and resolution.

Ya, is why I would alter it to make it more generic. But the basic function is pretty trivial, so it's silly to have to code that part by hand when it's so straightforward.

Why the hell is Au3recorder not a menu function under tools? That seems ridiculously obvious.

Note: It's not doing a damned thing when I hit alt-F6. Not a thing. Another reason something like this should be a MENU option.

SciTE

Version 3.2.0

Jun 9 2012 00:35:28

Edited by OBloodyHell

Recorder probably doesn't work with un-named files.

edit: It doesn't. I created a blank file, and alt-f6 did nothing. I named the file something, and the Recorder script started with alt-f6.

Edited by somdcomputerguy

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

• Developers

Why the hell is Au3recorder not a menu function under tools? That seems ridiculously obvious.

Note: It's not doing a damned thing when I hit alt-F6. Not a thing. Another reason something like this should be a MENU option.

Showing some attitude here or having problems to control your emotions?

As long as you have the full version of SciTE installed, it IS a menu option with a shortcut as long as you have a file with an .au3 extension loaded and active.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Showing some attitude here or having problems to control your emotions?

As long as you have the full version of SciTE installed, it IS a menu option with a shortcut as long as you have a file with an .au3 extension loaded and active.

No, I've got an issue with bad interface design. Supposedly, I do have the full version installed. I can't tell, since there's no sign of any difference between the two, if it is, and it didn't produce any error message on the install, if it isn't.

There is, in the autoit menu directory, a program named

SciTE Script Editor

and an SciTE menu directory in which there is a program named

SciTE

The "about" of the former says:

SciTE

Version 3.2.0

The "about" of the latter says:

SciTE

Version 3.2.0

Maybe they're both the same thing, but I'm pretty sure the former was there before I installed it, and the latter was there after... but either the "small" version was replaced by the install or the two have the same "about"... if it's the latter, that's rather obvious bad design.

This:

it IS a menu option with a shortcut as long as you have a file with an .au3 extension loaded and active.

is egregiously bad interface design. It should be GREYED OUT, "disabled" as a menu option, it shouldn't be "disappeared".

And yes, that was at least partly the source of the problem. Once named, a whole host of options formerly nonexistant became visible...

And yes, I maintain that is seriously BAD design. Menus should be consistently displayed. If an option is not available, it should be disabled/greyed, not disappeared so someone has no idea what it is or where it is when they are learning the program.

I just spent an hour of my time utterly wasted trying to find out where something was, that I knew had to exist, because of this misfeature.

Now, as a secondary consideration, it's really ridiculous to require the file be named before you have access to half the functions of the program. If you want to exercise that kind of control, just insist that files be named up front before you even open an edit window. Start with "closed" program entry. It's very atypical behavior for pretty much any program. Either "new" should require you to enter a file name to proceed, or it shouldn't be requiring restrictive function except on execution itself... which should be greyed out, not "disappeared" as an option. And "record" certainly has no reason to be excluded, if you aren't going to do that, it's installing/writing code, not executing it.

P.S., I've been programming and coding interfaces for 30+ years, so I've got my programming chops to make comments on interface design weaknesses. If there are reasons for doing some things this way (i.e., don't do things unless there is a name to the script) then just NAME the script in the first place, and don't allow unnamed scripts to even exist.

:gathering:

Now, as a secondary consideration, it's really ridiculous to require the file be named before you have access to half the functions of the program.

I have been coding for +30 years too and have used numerous interfaces. I can tell you: You are wrong.

SciTE is a general purpose editor (Scintilla) written by people not related to the AutoIt project. Jos and others have modified the editor so it works nicely with AutoIt.

Before a text file is named the editor has no way to know in which language you try to code and which tools to offer. Scintilla supports Perl, C++, Pascal, SQL ...

So the design isn't bad, it just works different to what you got used to.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers

@OBloodyHell: Please do not use SciTE anymore or at least keep your BS to yourselves when you don't have the foggiest idea what you are on about.

If you would have spent a little time to read, you would have known that SciTE is a general editor we use and not written specifically for AutoIt3.

Either way: Do us and yourself a favor and simply go away when you don't like what we have to offer.

Over and out

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)