Compiled exe speeds etc

I have seen programming languages and its all very similar in terms of the fact that you type commands, use functions, parameters etc. So would it be possible for the developers of autoit to make a compiler for autoit that would take our commands and make an exe that would run as quick as a real "programmed" and compiled exe?

I was thinking about this since I was able to boost the decoding speed of my base64 converter by changing the way I was doing something and was thinking how its all an exe at the end of the day. I would not mind waiting a longer time for a compile if it meant more speed was possible.

AutoIt is what it is.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

AutoIt compiler is similar to other script compilers in that it packages up the interpreter with the script. The target machine does not need to install the interpreter to run it. It does not compile into machine code.

If you want to play around with small fast compiled programs take a look at FreeBASIC. It's compiled to native machine code. The exe files are very small because it's actually converted to assembler then compiled with gcc.

Native machine code compiled languages run faster. But interpreters are more flexible. There are plenty of free compilers for Windows without converting AutoIt into another one. Just google Free Windows Compilers

What do you mean "without converting autoit into another one" another one what? I have looked into programming languages but it is just insane. The reason I got decent with autoit was because there is a helpfile which is just a total GOD at helping you learn exactly what to do. Once I watched a few videos about the basics I was already off making programs with this scripting language. I can't imagine finding a "programming language" out there which would make fast running programs that are as easy to code as autoit is?

So what's the problem? If the language achieves your main objective then speed should be the least of your concerns. AutoIt isn't even that slow compared to us humans.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Morthawt,

Have you looked at FreeBasic (as suggested by MilesAhead)? It has a Helpfile similar to AutoIT, and a forum for developers. However, it does not enjoy the expertise found in the AI forum nor does it have the rich set of UDF's. In fact there is no real code organization beyond the distribution. I used FreeBasic for a while, went to VBS and finally AutoIT.

Freebasic uses calls to the Windows API but they are not packaged so you will need to understand the API itself.

There are two predominant IDE's tailored specifically for Freebasic, neither of which is as functional as Scite.

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Well I am checking out out now on the wiki. I LOVE autoit but if I find something else I can get to grips with quickly than I would like to try that. My thing with autoit is the crazy windows stuff to do with API's or DLL's or what ever I have no time for because trying to find documentation on how to do anything is just way too frustrating. That is why all my autoit programs use intrinsicly accessible things without needing wacky windows things that I don't understand. I will really give a good look at freebasic to see if its viable for my personality to attempt to use.

Morthawt,

As I recall, there is no support for Gui's other than native API calls (this was 5+ years ago).

kylomas

Editorial - As a mainframe systems programmer I also had NO experience with GUI's when I came to the PC arena. GUI's and the concept of message loop processing were easily the hardest changes for me to make from a programming mind set point of view.

It might be worth your while to give yourself time to get comfortable with GUI's and the message processing paradigm. Based on my experience it will pay dividends n the future.

kylomas

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

What do you mean "without converting autoit into another one" another one what? I have looked into programming languages but it is just insane. The reason I got decent with autoit was because there is a helpfile which is just a total GOD at helping you learn exactly what to do. Once I watched a few videos about the basics I was already off making programs with this scripting language. I can't imagine finding a "programming language" out there which would make fast running programs that are as easy to code as autoit is?

Instead of imagining try going out there and learning a few. First language I programmed was gwBasic that came with MSDos. After a few months I thought I could do anything. Then as I got into more languages and became more knowledgable about how the hardware worked I realized gwBasic was just a little sandbox I was playing in.

Try learning yourself before lecturing othews with decades of programming experience.

This is really boring.

Instead of imagining try going out there and learning a few. First language I programmed was gwBasic that came with MSDos. After a few months I thought I could do anything. Then as I got into more languages and became more knowledgable about how the hardware worked I realized gwBasic was just a little sandbox I was playing in.

Try learning yourself before lecturing othews with decades of programming experience.

This is really boring.

Firstly, who is lecturing whom? I was asking information and stating what I did and why. I have looked into freebasic as a side line to autoit as a potential for fast grunt work and it does show some promise in that regard. It is not as easy to work with but there are similarities that don't make me rule it out entirely. I did a basic test of counting and after 1 second posting the number reached to screen on both autoit and freebasic. Autoit was able to do 3% of what freebasic did in the same amount of time. So for things that need a lot of processing I might be able to use FB for that but so far my preference still so far is for Autoit just because I can do so much with it. Edited by Morthawt