seeking AutoIt coder for small project

timmy2

I wrote a batch file that opens a couple programs, asks a "choice" question and runs the appropriate shortcut based on that, and then displays a series of png and animated gif images at a specific window position that provide instructions to the user.

I'd prefer a nicer looking Windows GUI for the "choice" question and better control over displaying the images (having trouble with irfanview in this regard). There are some other small refinements that I suspect could easily be handled by autoit (e.g., I must use Zmover to position the program windows).

Please PM me.

If you got that far using just batch scripting, it wouldn't be much harder to port the code to AutoIT. realistically, you could use the ShellExecute command to funnel all your batch calls into it (although it'd be easier to just script out some of the calls)

Also, the help file that comes with AutoIT, I've found, is INCREDIBLY well documented. My main language of choice was C++, and I had little GUI experience outside of Windows Forms (which auto-creates the GUI for you) and I felt their description in the GUI reference portion of the man-page was more than adequate.

Check out the GUI Concepts and GUI MessageLoop Mode tutorials, That's basically all you need. The GUI Management section of Function Reference also covers all the non-UDF GUI functions provided in Auto IT.

• Moderators

Hi, Timmy2, welcome to the forum. We do not support requests for coding-for-hire. If you would like something like that, please check out vWorker, where you can request apss coded in AutoIt.

The members on this forum take the "teach a man to fish" motto when it comes to scripting. I would sugges, as Kevinsyel does above, to start with the help file. Try some code on your own. If you run into a problem and get stuck, feel free to post your code here and we'll do our best to assist :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

If you got that far using just batch scripting, it wouldn't be much harder to port the code to AutoIT. realistically, you could use the ShellExecute command to funnel all your batch calls into it (although it'd be easier to just script out some of the calls)

Also, the help file that comes with AutoIT, I've found, is INCREDIBLY well documented. My main language of choice was C++, and I had little GUI experience outside of Windows Forms (which auto-creates the GUI for you) and I felt their description in the GUI reference portion of the man-page was more than adequate.

Check out the GUI Concepts and GUI MessageLoop Mode tutorials, That's basically all you need. The GUI Management section of Function Reference also covers all the non-UDF GUI functions provided in Auto IT.

Thank you for the encouragement, Seeker. I'd like to learn AutoIt but at the moment I just want to get this "done". Am suffering from battle fatigue trying to overcome surprises and software inconsistencies during this project (e.g., Irfanview's window positioning command not working with animated gifs AND their forum moderator not activating my account so I could post questions, ZMover's idiosyncrasies, Windows XP batch file command "Start" not working exactly per the docs, etc.) You probably know about the "up-hill slog" one goes through overcoming disconnects between software, its documentation, and manufacturer promises vs reality. It's been this way since Microsoft issued their first language manual.

What the heck... maybe I'll post more details in this forum just to see if AutoIt can even accomplish what I need. The Devil's always in the details!

Hi, Timmy2, welcome to the forum. We do not support requests for coding-for-hire. If you would like something like that, please check out vWorker, where you can request apss coded in AutoIt.

The members on this forum take the "teach a man to fish" motto when it comes to scripting. I would sugges, as Kevinsyel does above, to start with the help file. Try some code on your own. If you run into a problem and get stuck, feel free to post your code here and we'll do our best to assist :)

Thank you for the kindly worded admonishment. I didn't know. AND, thank you for referring me to vworker.

• Moderators

Thank you for the kindly worded admonishment. I didn't know. AND, thank you for referring me to vworker.

We've all been at "Day 1" :) If you decide to give this a go yourself, be aware you have a community that is very willing to assist and support your efforts.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Thank you for the encouragement, Seeker.

Just FYI, "Seeker" is a title. ;)

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Just FYI, "Seeker" is a title. ;)

I once had my title as "I'm Scotts-Korean" and someone said "Thanks Scott" =/

Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”