Is it possible to create something like this using AutoIt?

timmy2

I'm trying to determine if it's worth learning AutoIt for a project that I'm working on. I've asked a couple questions elsewhere in this forum and received good (albeit succinct) answers, but I figured submitting an example like the one attached will ensure clarity.

In short, I want to make some "Help" windows that pop up after AutoIt runs a few programs and lays them out appropriately on the screen. This much I know AutoIt can do. But then I want the user to have some "getting started" guidance that will guide them through initial steps needed before using the software.

The attached image is an example of one of these "help" windows. The desired result is more than just a static window. It's got an animated GIF in it. There's a button that if clicked on should play an mp3 or wave file (format doesn't matter to me; it depends solely on what AutoIt - or some other GUI-less player can do). There's another button to pop up or spawn a new "help" window with similar multiple elements (e.g. animated gif, text, buttons that do stuff, etc.).

I think I've annotated the attached image clearly enough but should add that I'd also appreciate your advice about whether the title, text and small task tray screen cap in the upper section should be pre-produced in another program and simply placed as a png in the AutoIt-created window, or can I create and place the individual elements when laying it out in AutoIt?

It's probably obvious to you that I don't know what sort of page layout (GUI design) capability is available to AutoIt users. The "devil's in the details" and I don't want to take one more step down the path of learning AutoIt before I know if the program is really designed for accomplishing my goal. If kluges, workarounds, lots of 3rd party tools, trickery (akin to modifying a SmugMug site, where you're undoing the default code)... stuff like that is necessary, then I need to look elsewhere.

And, if you can comment on the level of difficulty you think applies to this sort of thing, that would be great, too.

Thank you to those who reply!

post-76101-0-26906300-1351971414_thumb.p

is for TrayMenuIcon

your rest requirements are very easy to find

try searching the forum

My code:

PredictText: Predict Text of an Edit Control Like Scite. Remote Gmail: Execute your Scripts through Gmail. StringRegExp:Share and learn RegExp.

Run As System: A command line wrapper around PSEXEC.exe to execute your apps scripts as System (LSA). Database: An easier approach for _SQ_LITE beginners.

MathsEx: A UDF for Fractions and LCM, GCF/HCF. FloatingText: An UDF for make your text floating. Clipboard Extendor: A clipboard monitoring tool. 

Custom ScrollBar: Scroll Bar made with GDI+, user can use bitmaps instead. RestrictEdit_SRE: Restrict text in an Edit Control through a Regular Expression.

is for TrayMenuIcon

your rest requirements are very easy to find

try searching the forum

Thank you for replying but I think you misunderstood. The pop-up menu in my example is part of a Camtasia screen capture of an actual program. As an animated gif it demonstrates to the user how to select a specific preset for that program.

TrayMenuIcon that you cite appears to be for creating similar menus, which is not my goal at all.

And as to searching the forums, that would be a waste of time because I would need to understand AutoIt programming before I could tell whether a post is even relevant, much less grasp the code. Also, searching forums is often futile because of the amount of obsolete or incorrect information that gets dredged up during the search. I don't mind putting the time and effort into learning AutoIt but first want to know if accomplishing my goal with AutoIt is even possible. For anyone familiar with the AutoIt, determining this should be a trivial task. Even as a sometimes moron, for the languages and programs I'm skilled in I could look at an example and quickly visualize how to accomplish it -- or dismiss it as the wrong tool for the job. That's all I'm asking.

Someone posted the method to display animated GIFs here:

Also, what you are saying is possible, even in AutoIt!!!

EDIT: Did a very dumb mistake... now, alright!!! Thanks a lot, JScript.

Edited by MKISH

----------------------------------------

:bye: Hey there, was I helpful?

----------------------------------------

My Current OS: Win8 PRO (64-bit); Current AutoIt Version: v3.3.8.1