Quicktime Installation

cgarst

I am trying to develop an AutoIt script that will silently install QuickTime without installing the desktop icon or allowing auto updates and then set file associations for .3gp and .mov only to go to QuickTime. Unfortunately, I keep getting stuck. I can do a silent install but then the desktop icon is there and it can auto update. My code to select the appropriate option is below and it just hangs. I am using just the base installer package from Apple.

Run("QuickTimeInstaller.exe")

WinWaitActive("Open File Security Warning", "&Run")

Send("s")

WinWaitActive("QuickTime for Windows", "Welcome")

Send("n")

WinWaitActive("QuickTime for Windows", "License Agreement")

Send("y")

WinWaitActive("QuickTime for Windows", "Destination Folder")

Send("{TAB}")

Send("{SPACE}")

Send("{TAB}")

Send("{SPACE}")

Send("i")

WinWaitActive("QuickTime for Windows", "QuickTime Installer Completed")

Send("f")

WinClose("QuickTime for Windows")

• Moderators

Hi, cgarst, welcome to the forum. Just out of curiosity, why not use the silent switches, rather than trying to automate the GUI? The installation supports the public property DESKTOP SHORTCUTS, so you would simply need to put that at the end of your install:

ShellExecuteWait("msiexec.exe", '/i "QuickTime.msi" /passive DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO')
Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi, cgarst, welcome to the forum. Just out of curiosity, why not use the silent switches, rather than trying to automate the GUI? The installation supports the public property DESKTOP SHORTCUTS, so you would simply need to put that at the end of your install:

ShellExecuteWait("msiexec.exe", '/i "QuickTime.msi" /passive DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO')

Thank you for responding. I had something very similar to that that worked. Unfortunately, i have to set QuickTime to not receive updates from Apple and the only way I can do that is through the GUI to my knowledge.

• Moderators

Last install I did I used the DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=0 ASUWINSTALLED=0 switches and it seemed to work just fine.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

But when I run it like this it does not install the Apple Application Support program that is required for QuickTime to function. Just a little background. I'm packaging it together becase i have to distribute this to several hundred PCs and this ensures that eeryone gets the same version. The "QuickTimeInstaller.exe" i downloaded directly from Apple.

FileInstall("QuickTimeInstaller.exe", @TempDir & "QuickTimeInstaller.exe")

RunWait(@TempDir & "QuickTimeInstaller.exe /quiet DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=0 ASUWINSTALLED=0")

FileDelete(@TempDir & "QuickTimeInstaller.exe")

• Moderators

Correct. You have to extract the MSIs and run them individually. Notice in post #2, I am calling the MSI, not the executable.

Correct. You have to extract the MSIs and run them individually. Notice in post #2, I am calling the MSI, not the executable.

When you open the .exe file from Apple, ther are 4 files inside.

AppleApplicationSupport.msi

AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi

QuickTime.msi

QuickTimeInstallerAdmin.exe

When i try and just run the QuickTime.msi file by itself it ends with an error. AppleApplicationSupport.msi runs fine by itself and I don't want AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi.

I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but is there a specific order involved (I'm sure this is detailed in QuickTimeInstallerAdmin.exe)? How can I make the QuickTime.msi work?

Just in case you still want to go for the other option...

Run("QuickTimeInstaller.exe")
WinWaitActive("Open File Security Warning", "&Run")
Send("s")
WinWaitActive("QuickTime", "QuickTime 7")
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'QuickTime 7', 1024)
WinWaitActive("QuickTime", "APPLE INC.")
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'APPLE INC.', 1024)
WinWaitActive("QuickTime", "Folder8bpp.ico")
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'Folder8bpp.ico', 1205)
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'Folder8bpp.ico', 1225)
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'Folder8bpp.ico', 1024)
WinWaitActive("QuickTime", "QTLogoBackground.bmp")
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'QTLogoBackground.bmp', 1040)
WinWaitActive("QuickTime", "QTProBanner.bmp")
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'QTProBanner.bmp', 1036)
WinWaitActive("QuickTime", "Warning8bpp.ico")
ControlClick('QuickTime', 'Warning8bpp.ico', 1059)

And before you start to complain about the text i put the script to search,

let me just say that, this way it works for 'all' languages, for instance,

here i don't see any 'Quicktime for windows' title, i get something else,

but including a common word/text, i guarantee it works for more languages.

EDIT: btw, why do you have that open file security warning? dunno how to disable?

Just FYI this is how you disable that message for good.

Create a text file, rename extension to .reg, paste this there, and import/run

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;=============================================================================

;trusted extensions/disable security file messages

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGroup Policy Objects{74AEC010-2B8E-4E31-A646-AE07FE258925}UserSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesAttachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGroup Policy Objects{74AEC010-2B8E-4E31-A646-AE07FE258925}MachineSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSecurity]
"DisableSecuritySettingsCheck"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGroup Policy Objects{74AEC010-2B8E-4E31-A646-AE07FE258925}UserSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesAssociations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".avi;.bat;.bin;.bmp;.com;.cmd;.cue;.exe;.flv;.gif;.htm;.html;.jpg;.jpeg;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.mp4;.msi;.m3u;.pdf;.rar;.reg;.txt;.vbs;.wav;.wmv;.zip;;.wav;.zip;"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesAssociations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".avi;.bat;.bin;.bmp;.com;.cmd;.cue;.exe;.flv;.gif;.htm;.html;.jpg;.jpeg;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.mp4;.msi;.m3u;.pdf;.rar;.reg;.txt;.vbs;.wav;.wmv;.zip;;.wav;.zip;"

EDIT2: just found this on the web:

QuickTimeInstaller.exe /S /V/qn

Or, after /V, put whatever switches you want to be passed to msiexec.exe such as /qb or /a.

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe