My easy Autoit scripting Video tutorials

Morthawt

Someone I know wanted me to show them how to get started with scripting. Instead of giving him a one to one I decided to make recordings so that anyone can get the help. I know there are other tutorials out there on youtube but sometimes one type of video style or person's personality may be more acceptable than another, so feel free to check them out and tell me what you think. I am not done yet by a mile but I made what I have so far public. I will be making a lot more videos both on the basics and then more task orientated videos like how to write and read to files, how to make GUI's etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNpExbvcyUkOJvgxtCPcKsuMTk9XwoWum&feature=view_all

That play list link will be updated with more videos as and when I record them.

Edited by Morthawt

Applaudable efforts, regardless, there is still something missing (i believe), for instance in the 'Conditional Statements' video, perhaps you could just use a bigger font in Scite as to let anyone see what you are typing.

See you with more awesome work.

With Best regards,

MKISH

----------------------------------------

:bye: Hey there, was I helpful?

My Current OS: Win8 PRO (64-bit); Current AutoIt Version: v3.3.8.1

Thanks. I could do that in future videos if I remember, however if you enable 720P HD quality it is very readable, especially if you full screen it. My goals are to make these videos as easy to understand as possible so I will try and remember to increase the size slightly next time.

I believe you could compromise with the quality here (360-480p would be nice, plus it has less buffering sort of thing). Just increase the font of your editor while typing...

:bye: Hey there, was I helpful?

My Current OS: Win8 PRO (64-bit); Current AutoIt Version: v3.3.8.1

I listened to your introduction video. You have a very good speaking voice and you are very clear with your messages. I recently made a few tutorials for a program I made at my workplace and was stunned how many times it takes to record yourself without stumbling. I wish I had such a good speaking voice...

I will watch your other videos. Maybe they might help me out with my programming challenges. Cheers to you!

I believe you could compromise with the quality here (360-480p would be nice, plus it has less buffering sort of thing). Just increase the font of your editor while typing...

Yes I could, however the issue with dynamic zooming is its hard to see the big picture when you can only focus on small pieces of code at one time. Kind of like using a magnifying glass to look at an oil painting from close range, you would have to scan all over the image and try and make sense of it compared to just being able to see the whole picture. That is my main motivation for recording in 720p.

I listened to your introduction video. You have a very good speaking voice and you are very clear with your messages. I recently made a few tutorials for a program I made at my workplace and was stunned how many times it takes to record yourself without stumbling. I wish I had such a good speaking voice...

I will watch your other videos. Maybe they might help me out with my programming challenges. Cheers to you!

Thank you! Yes, I have had to record, re-record, ditch that and re-record lol. It its not one thing its another. RSS feeds popping up into view, someone coming online on skype, firewall wanting to update and being in the recording view, someone ringing me on my phone either that or one of the numerous times I stumbled, as you put it lol. However I do my best to convey the concepts in as clear and precise way as possible to really help completely new people to get a solid grasp on the principles and methodologies. That is why I am going in small chunks so I do not overwhelm people with information overload. I also gradually get into more details that build on previous videos. For example I have planned to talk about arrays once I have covered "Loops" so that I can build understanding for why arrays are useful, because people may not realize how arrays could possibly be any different since they appear just to be the exact same as variables etc. So I am trying to do this in a logical order and in very small steps.

Edited by Morthawt

Ok, I just uploaded a new longer video covering math orientated operators such as / * - + = < > ==

I am going to bed now. Tomorrow I will try and get one recorded which will be about loops, which will most likely include math operators, conditional statements etc.

btw I did add the new video to the same playlist link so it is easily accessible.

Very nice keep them coming

Its perfectly fine in 720

Will do! I just uploaded one covering the basics of how loops work. At this point I am still at the basic level in these videos. Once people get the concepts understood and know how things like loops actually work, then I will get into actually "using" them so it builds on their previous understandings so it does not overwhelm them.

I think my next vid will be about arrays, so that I can put them into context by showcasing their ability to be cycled through based on an incrementing number associated with the "name" part. However I am going to take a break for a bit I have had to re-record this loops video about 6 times lol. Coffee time!

I love your enthusiasm Morthawt. Would you welcome suggestions of topics and/or advice?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections() • _AlwaysRun() • _AppMon() • _AppMonEx() • _ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce • _BinaryBin() • _CheckMsgBox() • _CmdLineRaw() • _ContextMenu() • _ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor() • _DesktopDimensions() • _DisplayPassword() • _DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload() • _Fibonacci() • _FileCompare() • _FileCompareContents() • _FileNameByHandle() • _FilePrefix/SRE() • _FindInFile() • _GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor() • _GetConrolID() • _GetCtrlClass() • _GetDirectoryFormat() • _GetDriveMediaType() • _GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt() • _GetHardwareID() • _GetIP() • _GetIP_Country() • _GetOSLanguage() • _GetSavedSource() • _GetStringSize() • _GetSystemPaths() • _GetURLImage() • _GIFImage() • _GoogleWeather() • _GUICtrlCreateGroup() • _GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveXML() • _GUICtrlMenu_Recent() • _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage() • _GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray() • _GUIDisable() • _GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle() • _GUIRegisterMsg() • _GUISetIcon() • _Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set() • _IdleTime() • _InetGet() • _InetGetGUI() • _InetGetProgress() • _IPDetails() • _IsFileOlder() • _IsGUID() • _IsHex() • _IsPalindrome() • _IsRegKey() • _IsStringRegExp() • _IsSystemDrive() • _IsUPX() • _IsValidType() • _IsWebColor() • _Language() • _Log() • _MicrosoftInternetConnectivity() • _MSDNDataType() • _PathFull/GetRelative/Split() • _PathSplitEx() • _PrintFromArray() • _ProgressSetMarquee() • _ReDim() • _RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock() • _ScrollingCredits • _SelfDelete() • _SelfRename() • _SelfUpdate() • _SendTo() • _ShellAll() • _ShellFile() • _ShellFolder() • _SingletonHWID() • _SingletonPID() • _Startup() • _StringCompact() • _StringIsValid() • _StringRegExpMetaCharacters() • _StringReplaceWholeWord() • _StringStripChars() • _Temperature() • _TrialPeriod() • _UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate() • _WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE() • _WinAPI_CreateGUID() • _WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString() • Au3 script parsing • AutoIt Search • AutoIt3 Portable • AutoIt3WrapperToPragma • AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle() • Coding • DirToHTML5 • FileInstallr • FileReadLastChars() • GeoIP database • GUI - Only Close Button • GUI Examples • GUICtrlDeleteImage() • GUICtrlGetBkColor() • GUICtrlGetStyle() • GUIEvents • GUIGetBkColor() • Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse() • IsISBN() • LockFile() • Mapping CtrlIDs • OOP in AutoIt • ParseHeadersToSciTE() • PasswordValid • PasteBin • Posts Per Day • PreExpand • Protect Globals • Queue() • Resource Update • ResourcesEx • SciTE Jump • Settings INI • SHELLHOOK • Shunting-Yard • Signature Creator • Stack() • Stopwatch() • StringAddLF()/StringStripLF() • StringEOLToCRLF() • VSCROLL • WM_COPYDATA • More Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I love your enthusiasm Morthawt. Would you welcome suggestions of topics and/or advice?

Sure, always open to advice etc. I always do what ever feels right to me, so having any extra outside opinions gives me more things to choose from so I make it the best I can.

Whats on your mind?

Whats on your mind?

Alot! But I would look at variable deceleration and the format of variables too e.g. $iNumber would be an integer whereas $sNumber would be a string. Though this isn't an AutoIt requirement, it just gets the user into an appropriate way to create clear code.

Source: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/udfs/UDF_Standards.htm

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections() • _AlwaysRun() • _AppMon() • _AppMonEx() • _ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce • _BinaryBin() • _CheckMsgBox() • _CmdLineRaw() • _ContextMenu() • _ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor() • _DesktopDimensions() • _DisplayPassword() • _DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload() • _Fibonacci() • _FileCompare() • _FileCompareContents() • _FileNameByHandle() • _FilePrefix/SRE() • _FindInFile() • _GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor() • _GetConrolID() • _GetCtrlClass() • _GetDirectoryFormat() • _GetDriveMediaType() • _GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt() • _GetHardwareID() • _GetIP() • _GetIP_Country() • _GetOSLanguage() • _GetSavedSource() • _GetStringSize() • _GetSystemPaths() • _GetURLImage() • _GIFImage() • _GoogleWeather() • _GUICtrlCreateGroup() • _GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveXML() • _GUICtrlMenu_Recent() • _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage() • _GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray() • _GUIDisable() • _GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle() • _GUIRegisterMsg() • _GUISetIcon() • _Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set() • _IdleTime() • _InetGet() • _InetGetGUI() • _InetGetProgress() • _IPDetails() • _IsFileOlder() • _IsGUID() • _IsHex() • _IsPalindrome() • _IsRegKey() • _IsStringRegExp() • _IsSystemDrive() • _IsUPX() • _IsValidType() • _IsWebColor() • _Language() • _Log() • _MicrosoftInternetConnectivity() • _MSDNDataType() • _PathFull/GetRelative/Split() • _PathSplitEx() • _PrintFromArray() • _ProgressSetMarquee() • _ReDim() • _RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock() • _ScrollingCredits • _SelfDelete() • _SelfRename() • _SelfUpdate() • _SendTo() • _ShellAll() • _ShellFile() • _ShellFolder() • _SingletonHWID() • _SingletonPID() • _Startup() • _StringCompact() • _StringIsValid() • _StringRegExpMetaCharacters() • _StringReplaceWholeWord() • _StringStripChars() • _Temperature() • _TrialPeriod() • _UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate() • _WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE() • _WinAPI_CreateGUID() • _WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString() • Au3 script parsing • AutoIt Search • AutoIt3 Portable • AutoIt3WrapperToPragma • AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle() • Coding • DirToHTML5 • FileInstallr • FileReadLastChars() • GeoIP database • GUI - Only Close Button • GUI Examples • GUICtrlDeleteImage() • GUICtrlGetBkColor() • GUICtrlGetStyle() • GUIEvents • GUIGetBkColor() • Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse() • IsISBN() • LockFile() • Mapping CtrlIDs • OOP in AutoIt • ParseHeadersToSciTE() • PasswordValid • PasteBin • Posts Per Day • PreExpand • Protect Globals • Queue() • Resource Update • ResourcesEx • SciTE Jump • Settings INI • SHELLHOOK • Shunting-Yard • Signature Creator • Stack() • Stopwatch() • StringAddLF()/StringStripLF() • StringEOLToCRLF() • VSCROLL • WM_COPYDATA • More Examples...

Alot! But I would look at variable deceleration and the format of variables too e.g. $iNumber would be an integer whereas $sNumber would be a string. Though this isn't an AutoIt requirement, it just gets the user into an appropriate way to create clear code.

Source: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/udfs/UDF_Standards.htm

Yea I may have that in a later video though because my early videos are about getting people up and running. I personally do not follow standards because I am not trying to get a UDF published into Autoit or anything. However I will keep this in mind for some content for a later video in case people want to write UDF's or have their code visually cleaner. That way I don't scare people away early with "Rules and regulations" lol.

Edited by Morthawt

Of course not, I fully understand it may deter people.

But, this is one thing that has been missing from the AutoIt video tutorials, coding 'properly' in AutoIt.

UDF List:

Of course not, I fully understand it may deter people.

But, this is one thing that has been missing from the AutoIt video tutorials, coding 'properly' in AutoIt.

I plan on doing a video with hints/tips etc where I will cover Ctrl + T and commenting etc so I will most likely cover the UDF variable types in that if I remember so that at least people are aware of it and can make the choice to do it or not. As you said, that concept has been missing and I certainly have never seen it anywhere. In fact you giving me that link is only the second time I have seen it PERIOD! So it will be nice to include that information on a vid.

During my first video's covering crucial and frequently used components of Autoit scripting, do you have any recommendations in case I have missed anything?

So far the only notes I have left on my todo list are:

7. Explain arrays and the difference between them and variables and their Array[$a] usages inside loops etc.

8. Explain/demo creating user functions covering also inputs and why user functions are useful.

I am open to other things I have not yet thought of to include in the "heres what you need to know first" kind of section of videos. So far my list is not complete, its just where my noted ideas are up to right now. Edited by Morthawt

• 4 years later...

I finally got around to making a new tutorial on ini files

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cPWYQ6iIs&index=20&list=PL4Jcq5zn02jKpjX0nqI1_fS7mEEb5tw6z

I had several requests to do the video on the additional way to pull multiple unknown things from ini files, so I have now done the video.