Sudoku Solution Calculator Gone MAD!

Decipher

I've been working on this fun project for a few hours as it turns out its not so fun anymore. LOL but I'm determined. Does anyone got ideas why this isn't working? I know that there is a rule missing, I didn't get that far. Thanks for your help :)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

; My idea is that of a graph with x,y cordinates. One array points to the edit control handles the other their values while they wait to put inside the GUI.

Dim $aSudoku[9][9], $aSudoku_Value[9][9][2] ; The reason this array was created is for two very goods reason, one to prevent unnecessary processing and two I need a fool proof way to distinguish between fixed values.
Dim $iDemension = 0, $iIndex = 0 ;;;The first index numbers for the control array. ;$Sudoku_Solved = False
; $iDemension is just a variable name. The $aSudoku array is only 2D name value pairs
AdlibRegister("_Populate_Sudoku", 250) ; This function reads numbers from the $aSudoku_Value 3D array and puts them inside the edit controls

#region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Sudoku = GUICreate("Sudoku Solution Calculator", 335, 340) ; Create Sudoku GUI
Dim $iLeft = 10, $iTop = 10 ; Intial cordinates for the first edit control - box.
For $i = 1 To 81 Step 1 ; The games calls for a graph that consists of 81 squares = 9x9
$aSudoku[$iDemension][$iIndex] = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", $iLeft, $iTop, 35, 35, BitOR("", $ES_CENTER))
GUICtrlSetState(-1, @SW_LOCK)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 16, 700, "Arial Black")
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFFFFFF)
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 000000)
$iLeft += 35 ; for each iteration step or move the new box 35 px to the right.
$iIndex += 1 ; $iIndex is only from 0 to 8 until $i reaches a multiple of 9
For $iAdjust = 1 To 9 Step 1
If $iAdjust * 9 = $i Then
$iIndex = 0 ; reset the index to 0 for enumerating another row through columns I think...lmao, it works
$iDemension += 1 ; changes to the next row
$iLeft = 10 ; reset the pos for another row.
$iTop += 35 ; bring the position on the new row down a notch as necessary.
EndIf
Next
Next

_Create_Fixed_Value(0, 2, 4) ; Param1 = x cord, Param2 = y cord, Param3 = fixed number who's value should not change during execution.
_Create_Fixed_Value(0, 3, 2)
_Create_Fixed_Value(0, 4, 6)
_Create_Fixed_Value(0, 6, 1)
_Create_Fixed_Value(1, 6, 2)
_Create_Fixed_Value(1, 7, 6)
_Create_Fixed_Value(2, 0, 5)
_Create_Fixed_Value(2, 3, 1)
_Create_Fixed_Value(2, 5, 3)
_Create_Fixed_Value(2, 6, 8)
_Create_Fixed_Value(2, 8, 9)
_Create_Fixed_Value(3, 1, 5)
_Create_Fixed_Value(3, 2, 6)
_Create_Fixed_Value(3, 3, 8)
_Create_Fixed_Value(3, 7, 2)
_Create_Fixed_Value(3, 8, 7)
_Create_Fixed_Value(4, 3, 7)
_Create_Fixed_Value(4, 5, 5)
_Create_Fixed_Value(5, 0, 9)
_Create_Fixed_Value(5, 1, 7)
_Create_Fixed_Value(5, 5, 4)
_Create_Fixed_Value(5, 6, 5)
_Create_Fixed_Value(5, 7, 3)
_Create_Fixed_Value(6, 0, 6)
_Create_Fixed_Value(6, 2, 5)
_Create_Fixed_Value(6, 3, 9)
_Create_Fixed_Value(6, 5, 2)
_Create_Fixed_Value(6, 8, 8)
_Create_Fixed_Value(7, 1, 2)
_Create_Fixed_Value(7, 2, 7)
_Create_Fixed_Value(8, 2, 1)
_Create_Fixed_Value(8, 4, 5)
_Create_Fixed_Value(8, 5, 6)
_Create_Fixed_Value(8, 6, 7)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; show the GUI
#endregion ### END Koda GUI section ###

GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "_Exit_Sudoku") ; register the exit function

While 1
If Not IsComplete() Then _Random_Evalulation() ; randomly populate squares with numbers that do not conflict.
Sleep(50)
WEnd

Func _Exit_Sudoku()
Exit
EndFunc ;==>_Exit_Sudoku

; obviously there is a problem with randomizing instead of a programmatic educated quess.

Func _TryDigit($aSquare, $iDigit) ; Generate random digit and check for duplication - as to follow the instructions on solving the puzzle.
If $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][1] = False Then ; this line checks to see if the index contains a fixed number if not than set the value to the random digit.
$aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][0] = $iDigit
EndIf
Local $iHorizontal = _Horizontal_Valid($aSquare, $iDigit) ; this function will return the one of the indexes to the array contain a handle to a duplicate upon failure.
Local $iVertical = _Vertical_Valid($aSquare, $iDigit)
If $iHorizontal = "" And $iVertical = "" Then
Return True
ElseIf $iHorizontal <> "" Then
$aSquare[1] = $iHorizontal
For $iDigit = 1 To 9
If _Horizontal_Valid($aSquare, $iDigit) = "" Then ExitLoop
If $iDigit = 9 Then $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][0] = ""
Next
ElseIf $iVertical <> "" Then
$aSquare[0] = $iVertical
For $iDigit = 1 To 9
If _Vertical_Valid($aSquare, $iDigit) = "" Then ExitLoop
Next
EndIf
EndFunc ;==>_TryDigit

Func _Empty_Sudoku() ; empty the contents of the value array except for the fixed numbers.
For $iCtrl = 0 To 8 Step 1
For $iCtrl_Index = 0 To 8 Step 1
If $aSudoku_Value[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index][1] = False Then
$aSudoku_Value[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index][0] = ""
EndIf
Next
Next
EndFunc ;==>_Empty_Sudoku

Func IsComplete()
Local $aSquare[2]
For $aSquare[0] = 0 To 8 Step 1
For $aSquare[1] = 0 To 8 Step 1
If $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][1] = False Then
If _Horizontal_Valid($aSquare, $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][0]) <> "" Or _Vertical_Valid($aSquare, $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][0]) <> "" Then Return False
EndIf
Next
Next
EndFunc ;==>IsComplete

Func _Horizontal_Valid($aSquare, $iDigit)
For $iSquare = 0 To 8
If $aSquare[1] <> $iSquare Then
If $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$iSquare][0] = $iDigit Then
If $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$iSquare][1] = False Then Return $iSquare
Return $aSquare[1]
EndIf
EndIf
Next
Return ""
EndFunc ;==>_Horizontal_Valid

Func _Vertical_Valid($aSquare, $iDigit)
For $iSquare = 0 To 8
If $aSquare[0] <> $iSquare Then
If $aSudoku_Value[$iSquare][$aSquare[1]][0] = $iDigit Then
If $aSudoku_Value[$iSquare][$aSquare[1]][1] = False Then Return $iSquare
Return $aSquare[0]
EndIf
EndIf
Next
Return ""
EndFunc ;==>_Vertical_Valid

Func _Random_Evalulation()
_Empty_Sudoku()
For $i = 1 To 100 Step 1
While 1
$aSquare = _Random_Square()
If Not IsPopulated($aSquare) Then ExitLoop
WEnd
For $iDigit = 1 To 9
If _TryDigit($aSquare, $iDigit) Then ExitLoop
Next
Next
EndFunc ;==>_Random_Evalulation

Func _Random_Square() ; take note of what this function is doing and is pretty straight forward as to whats being done.
Local $aCord[2] = [Int(Random(0, 9)), Int(Random(0, 9))]
Return $aCord
EndFunc ;==>_Random_Square

Func _Populate_Sudoku()
For $iCtrl = 0 To 8 Step 1
For $iCtrl_Index = 0 To 8 Step 1
If $aSudoku_Value[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index][0] <> "" And $aSudoku_Value[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index][1] = False Then
If $aSudoku_Value[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index][0] <> GUICtrlRead($aSudoku[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index]) Then
GUICtrlSetData($aSudoku[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index], $aSudoku_Value[$iCtrl][$iCtrl_Index][0])
EndIf
EndIf
Next
Next
EndFunc ;==>_Populate_Sudoku

Func _Create_Fixed_Value($X, $Y, $iValue)
$aSudoku_Value[$X][$Y][0] = $iValue ; the 0 index contains the number values
$aSudoku_Value[$X][$Y][1] = True ; is this last index is set to true then its a fixed value otherwise the value is automatically false.
GUICtrlSetData($aSudoku[$X][$Y], $aSudoku_Value[$X][$Y][0])
GUICtrlSetColor($aSudoku[$X][$Y], 0xFF0000) ; paint them red.
;$sFixed_Values += "{" & $X & "," & $Y & "}" ; this line is redundant; I should have removed this when I converted to a 3d array for distinguishing between them.
EndFunc ;==>_Create_Fixed_Value

Func IsPopulated($aSquare) ; I don't think this works but run this thing and see what happens. I have successfully generated a correct answering following the row and column rules only once but the harder I try the worst it runs.
;I think I need to change tactics. Thanks for reading and suggestion.
If $aSudoku_Value[$aSquare[0]][$aSquare[1]][0] <> "" Then Return True
EndFunc ;==>IsPopulated

Sorry, I couldn't get the tidied code inserted properly. But uh this isn't that complicated... ;)

Edited by Decipher
Spoiler

censored.jpg

why this isn't working?

General suggestion: Be a bit more specific in what it is doing wrong, and what it is your expecting it to do instead.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Sudoku rules

- Sudoku is played over a 9x9 grid, divided to 3x3 sub grids called "regions":

Posted Image

- Sudoku begins with some of the grid cells already filled with numbers:

- The object of Sudoku is to fill the other empty cells with numbers between 1 and 9 (1 number only in each cell) according the following guidelines:

1. Number can appear only once on each row

2. Number can appear only once on each column: Allowed

Not allowed

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

3. Number can appear only once on each region: Allowed

Not allowed

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

- A summary of these guidelines would be, that a number should appear only once on each row, column and a region.

I can edit the initial post with code comments if necessary.

I have attempted to populate a box with fixed numbers that followed the rules with exception to the 3x3 region rule.

It does not work. I question my methods. I'm hoping that someone can offer some helpful advice.

Thanks

Spoiler

censored.jpg

First there is syntax error, second change

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "_Exit_Sudoku") ; register the exit function

To

GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "_Exit_Sudoku") ; register the exit function

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't hit the "X". Lol I should've caught that.

The problem is that my script is not coming close to solving the puzzle with just the first two rules in places.

Edited by Decipher
Spoiler

censored.jpg

If you leave it running for 1 billion years or 3 it might solve, because it is entirely random.

It's like the monkies writing a shakespear novel cliche.

For a starting point, look at what numbers are being tried in 1 row and colum

for example row 1 colum 1, do you see a number being tried that is already a fixed number

in both the row and the colum? because I do.

You might want to check for that.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

I'll tell you what is wrong - your AI is totally random (that's the problem - which John identified as I was writing this). Start by identifying candidate values for each available square. Perhaps you could start with a 9x9x7 cube and fill the third dimension with candidate values, then take it from there.

Edited by czardas

Also, you might want to think about whether your fixed numbers are actually solvable.

For an exercise, first try to create a filled valid sudoku grid from scratch which is started with a random seed in one square.

EDIT: which I think is what czardas just said.

Edited by JohnOne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku_algorithms

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

Knock Knock ...

You might get a few ideas from that Mat posted a few years ago for a Sudoku solver script. Or even this batch file that supposedly solves the puzzles.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

My idea may not be the best approach but it's interesting to consider. I now see that my 9x9x7 cube (based on the above puzzle) would have to be 9x9x10 (after looking at the variety of examples). The first grid would hold the puzzle and the remaining 9 grids would hold all possible missing values. Any field intersected by a completely empty row and (empty) column would have 9 possible candidate values (with entries through grids 1 to 9). Next I would look for an empty field with the least number of candidate solutions and start to build a tree of possible solutions. The branches that lead nowhere may need to be cleared from memory as you go. It could take a long time.

Edited by czardas

Thanks for all the useful information m8s. This is absolutely an exercise in logic. While working an 12 hour grave-yard shift I've decided on a new system for generating the solutions. The code above is illogical as it is generates and attempts to validate digits at random this only adds to the number of possibilities and as JohnOne Stated it could take a tremendous amount of time and never once come close to solving the puzzle.

I'm now going to use a Fixed System:

Requiring two more 2D arrays - one horizontal and the other vertical where the structure is outlined below:

Global $Fixed_Horizontal[9][4]

Horizontal 9x4 should contain each rows information or if you will its probabillity - this is what the count is for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

|Rows 0 to 8|Fixed Digits|Possible Digits|Available Count|

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For ex. lets say row 5 which would be in my array system index 4 because of the zero based arrays, contains the fixed digits

"456987" then the Possible digits in

Global $Fixed_Horizontal[4][2]

would contain "123" and the available count is 3.

Knowing the available count is in my logic is the same as the knowing probability of finding what I call a Fixed number.

Using min/max functions I can determine the row or column to be analyzed firstly. Then the digit to be checked against the other digits must be an available digit. I would then iterate through all of the available sectors counting the conflicts storing the last non conflict coordinate in a variable. If the (duplicate)conflict counter is one less than the available count then I know the number is a valid addiction to the Fixed number set and should be treated as such making is value permanent. Removing the digit from the Possible and Available indexes and adding it to the Digits in a Row. If the difference is not valid meaning more than one then it will not be placed and It will then continue to check the next available digit in the available set otherwise the probability check will run again selecting a new row or column to analyze, more likely it will be the same row or column selected because there is once less possibility and therefore greater chance of determining a Fixed number.

What should be done when a row or column that is select for analyzes based on probability does not have a valid addition to make to the Fixed Number set? Suggestions?

Then that would be the completion of the first check the second which will be executed when there are no possible valid additions to be made and should make educated guesses on probability. I have ideas for this but offer your own if you wish.

Concerning the first two rules I think this system will in most cases succeed if there are enough starting fixed numbers.

The third rule would work in the same way with a third array.

I will post code when its written. I note that Mat has allegedly already succeeded in making a similar script. This is for fun so I will not be viewing or asking anyone for code but suggestions and other helpful information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Spoiler

censored.jpg

Mmm, looked around for some Sudoku strings (as solver input cases). But they seem not that common (probably using wrong search parameters).

Anyway, did found this one: http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/patterns-game-results-t6291.html

Might be of some use. (don't forget to browse that forum, as its a Sudoku forum ... like anyone might miss that. ;) )

Edited by MvGulik

Knock Knock ...

I created this, it can solve the easy puzzles...i'll add additional functions within the loop to recursivly guess (when out of known answers)...the file that is created on the fly includes an easy puzzle, that will be solved

UPDATE:: added logic to attempt guesses, but only one at a time, so if the guess (all possible single attempt guesses) fails, then script fails...real fun to watch it try though :)...(will add logic for a second guess later...need to make that dynamic to allow infinite, valid guesses)

The gauntlet was thrown, beat in fewer lines if you can :)

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
Global $sDifficulty_Easy = "Easy"
Global $sDifficulty_Med = "Med"
Global $sDifficulty_Hard = "Hard"
Global $sDifficulty_Default = $sDifficulty_Hard
Global $gsFILE_Puzzle = @ScriptDir & "Puzzle_" & $sDifficulty_Default & ".txt"

Global Enum $giPuzzle_Y1D_0 = 0, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_1, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_2, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_3, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_4, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_5, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_6, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_7, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_8, _
   $giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound
Global Enum $giPuzzle_X2D_0 = 0, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_1, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_2, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_3, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_4, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_5, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_6, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_7, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_8, _
   $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound
Global Enum $giPuzzle_3D_Known = 0, _
   $giPuzzle_3D_aPossible, _
   $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess, _
   $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible, _
   $giPuzzle_3D_Control, _
   $giPuzzle_3D_UBound
Global $gaPuzzle[$giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound][$giPuzzle_X2D_UBound][$giPuzzle_3D_UBound]
Global $gaPossible[9]=[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]
; Add possible to all cells
For $y1D = 0 To $giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound - 1
 For $x2D = 0 To $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound - 1
  $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aPossible] = $gaPossible
 Next
Next
$bExists = FileExists ($gsFILE_Puzzle)
If $bExists Then
 $gaPuzzle = GenerateFILEPuzzle($gaPuzzle)
Else
 $gaPuzzle = GenerateRandomPuzzle($gaPuzzle) ; Currently, creating a fixed puzzle
EndIf
If GuiCreateCurrent() Then
 MsgBox (1,1,"SOVLED!")
Else
 MsgBox (1,1,"Failed!")
EndIf
While True
 $msg = GUIGetMsg()
 If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then Exit
WEnd
Func GenerateRandomPuzzle($aCallersArray)
 _FileCreate ( $gsFILE_Puzzle )
 $hFile = FileOpen ( $gsFILE_Puzzle, 2 )
 Switch $sDifficulty_Default
  Case $sDifficulty_Easy, $sDifficulty_Med
   FileWrite ( $hFile, "2,9,,,,,8,," & @CRLF & _
    "8,5,,4,,1,3,7," & @CRLF & _
    ",,,,3,,,," & @CRLF & _
    ",3,,,,2,,5,6" & @CRLF & _
    ",4,,3,9,7,,1," & @CRLF & _
    "1,2,,5,,,,3," & @CRLF & _
    ",,,,1,,,," & @CRLF & _
    ",6,4,9,,8,,2,3" & @CRLF & _
    ",,7,,,,,8,5" )
  Case $sDifficulty_Hard
   FileWrite ( $hFile, ",6,,,9,8,,1," & @CRLF & _
    "2,,,1,,,,5," & @CRLF & _
    ",,,,4,,,," & @CRLF & _
    "6,,,,,5,,9," & @CRLF & _
    ",,3,8,,9,7,," & @CRLF & _
    ",1,,2,,,,,8" & @CRLF & _
    ",,,,,4,,," & @CRLF & _
    ",2,,,,3,,,9" & @CRLF & _
    ",3,,9,2,,,6," )
 EndSwitch
 FileClose ( $hFile )
 Local $aTemp[1]
 _FileReadToArray ( $gsFILE_Puzzle, $aTemp )
 _ArrayDelete ( $aTemp, 0 )
 For $y1D = 0 To UBound ( $aTemp ) - 1
  $aTemp2 = StringSplit ( $aTemp[$y1D], "," )
  _ArrayDelete ( $aTemp2, 0 )
  For $x2D = 0 To UBound ( $aTemp2 ) - 1
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known] = $aTemp2[$x2D]
  Next
 Next
 ; Clear out possible array
  For $x2d = 0 To $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound - 1
   If $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known] > 0 Then $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aPossible] = ""
  Next
 Next
 Return $gaPuzzle
EndFunc
Func GenerateFILEPuzzle($aCallersArray)
 Local $aTemp[1]
 _FileReadToArray ( $gsFILE_Puzzle, $aTemp )
 _ArrayDelete ( $aTemp, 0 )
 For $y1D = 0 To UBound ( $aTemp ) - 1
  $aTemp2 = StringSplit ( $aTemp[$y1D], "," )
  _ArrayDelete ( $aTemp2, 0 )
  For $x2D = 0 To UBound ( $aTemp2 ) - 1
  Next
 Next
   If $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known] > 0 Then $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aPossible] = ""
  Next
 Next
 Return $gaPuzzle
EndFunc
Func GuiCreateCurrent ()
 $iControlHeight = 15
 $iControlWidth = 15
 $iControlBuffer = 10
 $iGuiWidth = $iControlBuffer+(($iControlWidth+$iControlBuffer)*$giPuzzle_X2D_UBound)
 $iGuiHeight = $iControlBuffer+(($iControlWidth+$iControlBuffer)*$giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound)
 Global $hGui = GUICreate ( @ScriptName, $iGuiWidth, $iGuiHeight )
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Control] = GUICtrlCreateLabel ( $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known], $iControlBuffer+(($x2D)*($iControlWidth+$iControlBuffer)), $iControlBuffer+(($y1D)*($iControlWidth+$iControlBuffer)), $iControlWidth, $iControlHeight, BitOR($SS_SUNKEN,$SS_CENTER) )
   Switch $y1D
    Case 0 To 2, 6 To 8
     If $x2D < 3 Or $x2D > 5 Then GUICtrlSetBkColor ( -1, 0x00ff00 )
    Case 3 To 5
     If $x2D > 2 And $x2D < 6 Then GUICtrlSetBkColor ( -1, 0x00ff00 )
   EndSwitch
  Next
 Next
 GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
 $bReturn_GuiCreateCurrent = False
 MsgBox ( 1,1,"Solve on close of this msgbox")
 Global $iGuessCounter = 0
 While True
  $msg = GUIGetMsg()
  While FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown()
  WEnd
  ; Check if number is only available in a section once...that is by default, correct
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber() Then ContinueLoop
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX() Then ContinueLoop
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY() Then ContinueLoop
  ; Last resort...guess, and attempt to fill all in based on the guess
  ; Guess fills in known values to KnownGuess, and checks if all are filled to return true
  While Not Guess()
   $iGuessCounter += 1
  Wend
  If CheckIfWon() Then
   $bReturn_GuiCreateCurrent = True
   ExitLoop
  EndIf
 WEnd
 Return $bReturn_GuiCreateCurrent
EndFunc
Func FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown ($bGuess=False)
 If $bGuess Then
  $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess
  $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible
 Else
  $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_Known
  $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aPossible
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown = False
 ; Clear out possible array of row and column
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known]) > 0 Then
    RemoveYRowPossibility($y1D, $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown],$bGuess)
    RemoveXColPossibility($x2D, $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown],$bGuess)
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
 ; Clear out possiblity of section
   ; Only enter if known
   $iTempKnown = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]
   If StringLen ($iTempKnown) = 0 Then ContinueLoop
   Switch $y1D
    Case 0 To 2
     $yStart = 0
    Case 3 To 5
     $yStart = 3
    Case 6 To 8
     $yStart = 6
   EndSwitch
   Switch $x2D
    Case 0 To 2
     $xStart = 0
    Case 3 To 5
     $xStart = 3
    Case 6 To 8
     $xStart = 6
   EndSwitch
   For $y = $yStart To $yStart+2
    For $x = $xStart To $xStart+2
     ; Skip current case
     If $y = $y1D And $x = $x2D Then ContinueLoop
     RemoveCellPossibility($y,$x,$iTempKnown,$bGuess)
    Next
   Next
  Next
 Next
 ; Loop through all, and find where possible ubound = 1...that is now known...if found, return true...if none found, return false
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown])=0 Then
    $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible]
    If UBound ( $aTemp ) = 1 Then
     UpdateGuiWithKnownValue($y1D,$x2D,$aTemp[0],$bGuess)
     Return True
    EndIf
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown
EndFunc
Func RemoveYRowPossibility ($iCallersYValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess=False)
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 For $i = 0 To $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound - 1
  $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$i][$iaPossible]
  $iDeleteValue = _ArraySearch ( $aTemp, $iCallersKnownValue )
  If $iDeleteValue >= 0 Then _ArrayDelete ( $aTemp, $iDeleteValue )
  $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$i][$iaPossible] = $aTemp
 Next
EndFunc
Func RemoveXColPossibility ($iCallersXValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False)
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 For $i = 0 To $giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound - 1
  $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$i][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible]
  $gaPuzzle[$i][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible] = $aTemp
 Next
EndFunc
Func RemoveCellPossibility ($iCallersYValue, $iCallersXValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False )
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible]
 $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible] = $aTemp
EndFunc
Func UpdateGuiWithKnownValue ($iCallersYValue, $iCallersXValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False)
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iKnown] = $iCallersKnownValue
 $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible] = ""
 GUICtrlSetData ( $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$giPuzzle_3D_Control], $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iKnown] )
EndFunc
Func FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber ($bGuess=False)
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber = False
 ; loop through number until a section returns only 1 possibility for that number...return true after setting
 For $iNumber = 1 To 9
  ; Reset counter

; Loops to allow increasing conditional bounds
  $iYMin = 0
  $iYMax = 2
  For $y = 0 To 2
   $iXMin = 0
   $iXMax = 2
   For $x = 0 To 2
    $iTempSectionCounter = 9
    ; decided to go section by section...too tird to logically do in one loop
    $bContinueLoop = True
    For $y1D = $iYMin To $iYMax
     For $x2D = $iXMin To $iXMax
      If $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]=$iNumber Then
       $bContinueLoop = False
       $iTempSectionCounter = 0
      Else
       If StringLen ($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) > 0 Or _ArraySearch ( $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible], $iNumber ) < 0 Then
        $iTempSectionCounter-=1
       EndIf
      EndIf
      If Not $bContinueLoop Then ExitLoop
     Next
    Next
    If $iTempSectionCounter = 1 Then
       If _ArraySearch ( $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible], $iNumber ) >= 0 Then
        UpdateGuiWithKnownValue($y1D,$x2D,$iNumber,$bGuess)
        Return True
       EndIf
      Next
     Next
    EndIf
    ; Current section didn't include any
    $iXMin += 3
    $iXMax += 3
   Next
   $iYMin += 3
   $iYMax += 3
  Next
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber
EndFunc
Func FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX ($bGuess=False)
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX = False
 For $iNumber = 1 To 9
   $bContinueLoop = True
   $iTempColumnCounter = 9
    If StringLen ($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) > 0 Or _ArraySearch ( $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible], $iNumber ) < 0 Then
     $iTempColumnCounter-=1
    EndIf
   Next
   If $iTempColumnCounter = 1 Then ExitLoop
  Next
  If $iTempColumnCounter = 1 Then
   For $x2D = $x2D To $x2D
      Return True
     EndIf
    Next
   Next
  EndIf
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX
EndFunc
Func FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY ($bGuess=False)
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY = False
 For $iNumber = 1 To 9
   $bContinueLoop = True
   $iTempRowCounter = 9
     $iTempRowCounter-=1
    EndIf
   Next
   If $iTempRowCounter = 1 Then ExitLoop
  Next
  If $iTempRowCounter = 1 Then
   For $y1D = $y1D To $y1D
      Return True
     EndIf
    Next
   Next
  EndIf
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY
EndFunc
Func Guess()
 ; Blindly use the first avail array possibility that matches $iGuessCounter...attempt to solve...if not, false (outside function the guess counter increments, and attempts again)
 Local $iTempGuessCounter = $iGuessCounter
 If CheckIfWon (False) Then Return True
 ConsoleWrite ( "GuessCounter=[" & $iGuessCounter & "]" )
 ; Clear out all known guesses, and reset availguess array to possible array
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess])>0 And StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known])=0 Then
    GUICtrlSetData ( $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Control], "" )
   EndIf
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess] = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known]
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible] = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aPossible]
  Next
 Next
 ; Check if already won
 If CheckIfWon (True) Then Return True
 ; Loop Through until an element is found matching the current $iGuessCounter
 $bGuessFound = False
   $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aPossible]
   If UBound ($aTemp) - 1 < $iTempGuessCounter Then
    If IsArray ( $aTemp ) Then
     $iTempGuessCounter -= (UBound ($aTemp) - 1)
    EndIf
   Else
    $iGuessNumber = $aTemp[$iTempGuessCounter]
    $bGuessFound = True
    UpdateGuiWithKnownValue ($y1D,$x2D,$iGuessNumber,True)
     ConsoleWrite ( "; Start with Number=[" & $iGuessNumber & "] x|y=[" & $x2D & "|" & $y1D & "]" & @CRLF )
    ; Need to remove the guess number from guess possible array
    Switch $y1D
     Case 0 To 2
      $iYStart = 0
     Case 3 To 5
      $iYStart = 3
     Case 6 To 8
      $iYStart = 6
    EndSwitch
    Switch $x2D
     Case 0 To 2
      $iXStart = 0
     Case 3 To 5
      $iXStart = 3
     Case 6 To 8
      $iXStart = 6
    EndSwitch
    For $iY = $iYStart To $iYStart+2
     For $iX = $iXStart To $iXStart+2
      $aTemp2 = $gaPuzzle[$iY][$iX][$giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible]
      $iDeleteValue = _ArraySearch ( $aTemp2, $iGuessNumber )
      If $iDeleteValue >= 0 Then _ArrayDelete ( $aTemp2, $iDeleteValue )
      $gaPuzzle[$iY][$iX][$giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible] = $aTemp2
     Next
    Next
   EndIf
   If $bGuessFound Then ExitLoop
  Next
 Next
 If Not $bGuessFound Then
  MsgBox (1,1,"All Single attempt guesses tried, and failed")
  Exit
 EndIf
 ; Perform same loops to check for guess fits
 While True
  $msg = GUIGetMsg()
  While FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown(True)
  WEnd
  ; Check if number is only available in a section once...that is by default, correct
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber(True) Then ContinueLoop
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX(True) Then ContinueLoop
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY(True) Then ContinueLoop
;~   ; Currently only doing one guess at a time, or resetting
;~   ; Last resort...guess, and attempt to fill all in based on the guess
;~   ; Guess fills in known values to KnownGuess, and checks if all are filled to return true
;~   While Not Guess()
;~    $iGuessCounter += 1
;~   Wend
  If CheckIfWon(True) Then
   Return True
  Else
   Return False
  EndIf
 WEnd
EndFunc
Func CheckIfWon ($bGuess=False)
 $bReturn_CheckIfWon = True
 If $bGuess Then
 Else
 EndIf
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown])=0 Then
    $bReturn_CheckIfWon = False
    Return $bReturn_CheckIfWon
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
EndFunc

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

BrewManNH beat you to it. :)

Knock Knock ...

I created this, it can solve the easy puzzles...i'll add additional functions within the loop to recursivly guess (when out of known answers)...the file that is created on the fly includes an easy puzzle, that will be solved

UPDATE:: added logic to attempt guesses, but only one at a time, so if the guess (all possible single attempt guesses) fails, then script fails...real fun to watch it try though :)...(will add logic for a second guess later...need to make that dynamic to allow infinite, valid guesses)

The gauntlet was thrown, beat in fewer lines if you can :)

As if I didn't have enough competition.. lol

Spoiler

censored.jpg

All done...this should solve any solveable puzzle:

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
Global $sDifficulty_Easy = "Easy"
Global $sDifficulty_Med = "Med"
Global $sDifficulty_Hard = "Hard"
Global $sDifficulty_Default = $sDifficulty_Hard
Global $gsFILE_Puzzle = @ScriptDir & "Puzzle_" & $sDifficulty_Default & ".txt"
$iMaxRecurssionCounter = 2
Global Enum $giPuzzle_Y1D_0 = 0, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_1, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_2, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_3, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_4, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_5, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_6, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_7, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_8, _
  $giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound
Global Enum $giPuzzle_X2D_0 = 0, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_1, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_2, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_3, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_4, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_5, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_6, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_7, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_8, _
  $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound
Global Enum $giPuzzle_3D_Control = 0, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_Known, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aPossible, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess2, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible2, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess3, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible3, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess4, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible4, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess5, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible5, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess6, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible6, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess7, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible7, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess8, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible8, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess9, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible9, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess10, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible10, _
  $giPuzzle_3D_UBound
Global $gaPuzzle[$giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound][$giPuzzle_X2D_UBound][$giPuzzle_3D_UBound]
Global $gaPossible[9] = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]
; Add possible to all cells
  $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_aPossible] = $gaPossible
 Next
Next
$bExists = FileExists($gsFILE_Puzzle)
If $bExists Then
 $gaPuzzle = GenerateFILEPuzzle($gaPuzzle)
Else
 $gaPuzzle = GenerateRandomPuzzle($gaPuzzle) ; Currently, creating a fixed puzzle
EndIf
If GuiCreateCurrent() Then
 MsgBox(1, 1, "SOVLED!")
Else
 MsgBox(1, 1, "Failed!")
EndIf
While True
 $msg = GUIGetMsg()
WEnd
Func GenerateRandomPuzzle($aCallersArray)
 _FileCreate($gsFILE_Puzzle)
 $hFile = FileOpen($gsFILE_Puzzle, 2)
 Switch $sDifficulty_Default
  Case $sDifficulty_Easy, $sDifficulty_Med
   FileWrite($hFile, "2,9,,,,,8,," & @CRLF & _
     "8,5,,4,,1,3,7," & @CRLF & _
     ",,,,3,,,," & @CRLF & _
     ",3,,,,2,,5,6" & @CRLF & _
     ",4,,3,9,7,,1," & @CRLF & _
     "1,2,,5,,,,3," & @CRLF & _
     ",,,,1,,,," & @CRLF & _
     ",6,4,9,,8,,2,3" & @CRLF & _
     ",,7,,,,,8,5")
  Case $sDifficulty_Hard
   FileWrite($hFile,",,,,,,,8,4" & @CRLF & _
   ",9,,,5,,,,7" & @CRLF & _
   ",,,,,9,1,," & @CRLF & _
   ",,9,5,,,,7," & @CRLF & _
   ",7,,3,,2,,6," & @CRLF & _
   ",6,,,,1,8,," & @CRLF & _
   ",,6,7,,,,," & @CRLF & _
   "1,,,,3,,,4," & @CRLF & _
   "3,2,,,,,,,")
 EndSwitch
 FileClose($hFile)
 Local $aTemp[1]
 _FileReadToArray($gsFILE_Puzzle, $aTemp)
 _ArrayDelete($aTemp, 0)
 For $y1D = 0 To UBound($aTemp) - 1
  $aTemp2 = StringSplit($aTemp[$y1D], ",")
  _ArrayDelete($aTemp2, 0)
  For $x2D = 0 To UBound($aTemp2) - 1
  Next
 Next
  Next
 Next
 Return $gaPuzzle
EndFunc   ;==>GenerateRandomPuzzle
Func GenerateFILEPuzzle($aCallersArray)
 Local $aTemp[1]
 _FileReadToArray($gsFILE_Puzzle, $aTemp)
 _ArrayDelete($aTemp, 0)
 For $y1D = 0 To UBound($aTemp) - 1
  $aTemp2 = StringSplit($aTemp[$y1D], ",")
  _ArrayDelete($aTemp2, 0)
  For $x2D = 0 To UBound($aTemp2) - 1
  Next
 Next
  Next
 Next
 Return $gaPuzzle
EndFunc   ;==>GenerateFILEPuzzle
Func GuiCreateCurrent()
 $iControlHeight = 15
 $iControlWidth = 15
 $iControlBuffer = 10
 $iGuiWidth = $iControlBuffer + (($iControlWidth + $iControlBuffer) * $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound)
 $iGuiHeight = $iControlBuffer + (($iControlWidth + $iControlBuffer) * $giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound)
 Global $hGui = GUICreate(@ScriptName, $iGuiWidth, $iGuiHeight)
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Control] = GUICtrlCreateLabel($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Known], $iControlBuffer + (($x2D) * ($iControlWidth + $iControlBuffer)), $iControlBuffer + (($y1D) * ($iControlWidth + $iControlBuffer)), $iControlWidth, $iControlHeight, BitOR($SS_SUNKEN, $SS_CENTER))
   Switch $y1D
    Case 0 To 2, 6 To 8
     If $x2D < 3 Or $x2D > 5 Then GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00ff00)
    Case 3 To 5
     If $x2D > 2 And $x2D < 6 Then GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00ff00)
   EndSwitch
  Next
 Next
 GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
 $bReturn_GuiCreateCurrent = False
 MsgBox(1, 1, "Solve on close of this msgbox")
 Local $iGuessCounter = 0
 Local $iRecurssionCounter = 0
 While True
  $msg = GUIGetMsg()
  While FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown()
   ;MsgBox (1,1,"FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown")
  WEnd
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber() Then
   ;MsgBox (1,1,"FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber")
   ContinueLoop
  EndIf

If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX() Then
   ;MsgBox (1,1,"FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX")
   ContinueLoop
  EndIf
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY() Then
   ;MsgBox (1,1,"FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY")
   ContinueLoop
  EndIf
  ; Last resort...guess, and attempt to fill all in based on the guess
  ; Guess fills in known values to KnownGuess, and checks if all are filled to return true
  ;MsgBox (1,1,"done")
  While True
   Switch Guess($iGuessCounter, 0)
    Case 0
     $iGuessCounter2 = 0
     While True
      Switch Guess($iGuessCounter2, 1)
       Case 0
        $iGuessCounter3 = 0
        While True
         Switch Guess($iGuessCounter3, 2)
          Case 0
           $iGuessCounter4 = 0
           While True
            Switch Guess($iGuessCounter4, 3)
             Case 0
              $iGuessCounter5 = 0
              While True
               Switch Guess($iGuessCounter5, 4)
                Case 0
                 $iGuessCounter6 = 0
                 While True
                  Switch Guess($iGuessCounter6, 5)
                   Case 0
                    $iGuessCounter7 = 0
                    While True
                     Switch Guess($iGuessCounter7, 6)
                      Case 0
                       $iGuessCounter8 = 0
                       While True
                        Switch Guess($iGuessCounter8, 7)
                         Case 0
                          $iGuessCounter9 = 0
                          While True
                           Switch Guess($iGuessCounter9, 8)
                            Case 0
                             $iGuessCounter10 = 0
                             While True
                              Switch Guess($iGuessCounter10, 9)
                               Case 1
                                Return True
                               Case 2
                                ExitLoop
                              EndSwitch
                              $iGuessCounter10+=1
                             WEnd
                            Case 1
                             Return True
                            Case 2
                             ExitLoop
                           EndSwitch
                           $iGuessCounter9+=1
                          WEnd
                         Case 1
                          Return True
                         Case 2
                          ExitLoop
                        EndSwitch
                        $iGuessCounter8+=1
                       WEnd
                      Case 1
                       Return True
                      Case 2
                       ExitLoop
                     EndSwitch
                     $iGuessCounter7+=1
                    WEnd
                   Case 1
                    Return True
                   Case 2
                    ExitLoop
                  EndSwitch
                  $iGuessCounter6+=1
                 WEnd

Case 1
                 Return True
                Case 2
                 ExitLoop
               EndSwitch
               $iGuessCounter5+=1
              WEnd
             Case 1
              Return True
             Case 2
              ExitLoop
            EndSwitch
            $iGuessCounter4+=1
           WEnd
          Case 1
           Return True
          Case 2
           ExitLoop
         EndSwitch
         $iGuessCounter3+=1
        WEnd
       Case 1
        Return True
       Case 2
        ExitLoop
      EndSwitch
      $iGuessCounter2+=1
     WEnd
    Case 1
     Return True
    Case 2
     Return False
   EndSwitch
   $iGuessCounter+=1
   $iRecurssionCounter = 0
  WEnd
;~   If CheckIfWon() Then
;~    $bReturn_GuiCreateCurrent = True
;~    ExitLoop
;~   EndIf
 WEnd
 Return $bReturn_GuiCreateCurrent
EndFunc   ;==>GuiCreateCurrent
Func FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown($bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  If $iRecurssionCounter = 0 Then
  Else
   MsgBox (1,1,@ScriptLineNumber)
  EndIf
 Else
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 1 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess2
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible2
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 2 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess3
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible3
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 3 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess4
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible4
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 4 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess5
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible5
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 5 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess6
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible6
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 6 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess7
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible7
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 7 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess8
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible8
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 8 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess9
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible9
  ElseIf $iRecurssionCounter = 9 Then
   $iKnown = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess10
   $iaPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible10
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown = False
 ; Clear out possible array of row and column
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) > 0 Then
    RemoveYRowPossibility($y1D, $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown], $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
    RemoveXColPossibility($x2D, $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown], $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
 ; Clear out possiblity of section
   ; Only enter if known
   $iTempKnown = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]
   If StringLen($iTempKnown) = 0 Then ContinueLoop
   Switch $y1D
    Case 0 To 2
     $yStart = 0
    Case 3 To 5
     $yStart = 3
    Case 6 To 8
     $yStart = 6
   EndSwitch
   Switch $x2D
    Case 0 To 2
     $xStart = 0
    Case 3 To 5
     $xStart = 3
    Case 6 To 8
     $xStart = 6
   EndSwitch
   For $y = $yStart To $yStart + 2
    For $x = $xStart To $xStart + 2
     ; Skip current case
     If $y = $y1D And $x = $x2D Then ContinueLoop
     RemoveCellPossibility($y, $x, $iTempKnown, $bGuess,$iRecurssionCounter)
    Next
   Next
  Next
 Next
 ; Loop through all, and find where possible ubound = 1...that is now known...if found, return true...if none found, return false
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) = 0 Then
    If UBound($aTemp) = 1 Then
     UpdateGuiWithKnownValue($y1D, $x2D, $aTemp[0], $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
     RemoveYRowPossibility($y1D, $aTemp[0], $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
     RemoveXColPossibility($x2D, $aTemp[0], $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
     Return True
    EndIf
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown
EndFunc   ;==>FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown
Func RemoveYRowPossibility($iCallersYValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 For $i = 0 To $giPuzzle_X2D_UBound - 1
  $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$i][$iaPossible]
  $iDeleteValue = _ArraySearch($aTemp, $iCallersKnownValue)
  If $iDeleteValue >= 0 Then _ArrayDelete($aTemp, $iDeleteValue)
  $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$i][$iaPossible] = $aTemp
 Next
EndFunc   ;==>RemoveYRowPossibility
Func RemoveXColPossibility($iCallersXValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 For $i = 0 To $giPuzzle_Y1D_UBound - 1
  $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$i][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible]
  $gaPuzzle[$i][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible] = $aTemp
 Next
EndFunc   ;==>RemoveXColPossibility
Func RemoveCellPossibility($iCallersYValue, $iCallersXValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 $aTemp = $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible]
 $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible] = $aTemp
EndFunc   ;==>RemoveCellPossibility
Func UpdateGuiWithKnownValue($iCallersYValue, $iCallersXValue, $iCallersKnownValue, $bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iKnown] = $iCallersKnownValue
 $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iaPossible] = ""
 GUICtrlSetData($gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$giPuzzle_3D_Control], $gaPuzzle[$iCallersYValue][$iCallersXValue][$iKnown])
EndFunc   ;==>UpdateGuiWithKnownValue
Func FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber($bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber = False
 ; loop through number until a section returns only 1 possibility for that number...return true after setting
 For $iNumber = 1 To 9
  ; Reset counter
  ; Loops to allow increasing conditional bounds
  $iYMin = 0
  $iYMax = 2
  For $y = 0 To 2
   $iXMin = 0
   $iXMax = 2
   For $x = 0 To 2
    $iTempSectionCounter = 9
    ; decided to go section by section...too tird to logically do in one loop
    $bContinueLoop = True
      If $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown] = $iNumber Then
       $bContinueLoop = False
       $iTempSectionCounter = 0
      Else
       If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) > 0 Or _ArraySearch($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible], $iNumber) < 0 Then
        $iTempSectionCounter -= 1
       EndIf
      EndIf
     Next
    Next
    If $iTempSectionCounter = 1 Then
       If _ArraySearch($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible], $iNumber) >= 0 Then
        UpdateGuiWithKnownValue($y1D, $x2D, $iNumber, $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
        RemoveYRowPossibility($y1D, $iNumber, $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
        RemoveXColPossibility($x2D, $iNumber, $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
        Return True
       EndIf
      Next
     Next
    EndIf
    ; Current section didn't include any
    $iXMin += 3
    $iXMax += 3
   Next
   $iYMin += 3
   $iYMax += 3
  Next
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber
EndFunc   ;==>FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber
Func FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX($bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX = False
 For $iNumber = 1 To 9
   $bContinueLoop = True
   $iTempColumnCounter = 9
    If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) > 0 Or _ArraySearch($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible], $iNumber) < 0 Then
     $iTempColumnCounter -= 1
    EndIf
   Next
   If $iTempColumnCounter = 1 Then ExitLoop
  Next
  If $iTempColumnCounter = 1 Then
   For $x2D = $x2D To $x2D
      RemoveYRowPossibility($y1D, $iNumber, $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
      Return True
     EndIf
    Next
   Next
  EndIf
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX
EndFunc   ;==>FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX
Func FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY($bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
 $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY = False
 For $iNumber = 1 To 9
   $bContinueLoop = True
   $iTempRowCounter = 9
     $iTempRowCounter -= 1
    EndIf
   Next
   If $iTempRowCounter = 1 Then ExitLoop
  Next
  If $iTempRowCounter = 1 Then
   For $y1D = $y1D To $y1D
      RemoveXColPossibility($x2D, $iNumber, $bGuess, $iRecurssionCounter)
      Return True
     EndIf
    Next
   Next
  EndIf
 Next
 Return $bReturn_FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY
EndFunc   ;==>FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY
Func Guess($iGuessCounter,$iRecurssionCounter)
 ; Blindly use the first avail array possibility that matches $iGuessCounter...attempt to solve...if not, false (outside function the guess counter increments, and attempts again)
 Local $iTempGuessCounter = $iGuessCounter
;~  If CheckIfWon(False) Then Return True
  $sPrefix = ""
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible
  $sPrefix = " "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess2
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible2
  $sPrefix = "  "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess3
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible3
  $sPrefix = "   "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess4
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible4
  $sPrefix = "  "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess5
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible5
  $sPrefix = "   "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess6
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible6
  $sPrefix = "    "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess7
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible7
  $sPrefix = "     "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess8
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible8
  $sPrefix = "      "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess9
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible9
  $sPrefix = "       "
  $iGuess = $giPuzzle_3D_KnownGuess10
  $iaGuessPossible = $giPuzzle_3D_aGuessPossible10
 EndIf
 ConsoleWrite($sPrefix & "Recur=[" & $iRecurssionCounter & "]; GuessCounter=[" & $iGuessCounter & "];" )
 ; Clear out all known guesses, and reset availguess array to possible array
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iGuess]) > 0 And StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) = 0 Then
    GUICtrlSetData($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$giPuzzle_3D_Control], "")
   EndIf
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iGuess] = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]
   $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaGuessPossible] = $gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iaPossible]
  Next
 Next
 ; Check if already won
 If CheckIfWon(True) Then Return True
 ; Loop Through until an element is found matching the current $iGuessCounter
 $bGuessFound = False
   If UBound($aTemp) <= $iTempGuessCounter Then
    If IsArray($aTemp) Then
     $iTempGuessCounter -= UBound($aTemp)
    EndIf
   Else
    $iGuessNumber = $aTemp[$iTempGuessCounter]
    $bGuessFound = True
    UpdateGuiWithKnownValue($y1D, $x2D, $iGuessNumber, True, $iRecurssionCounter)
    RemoveYRowPossibility($y1D, $iGuessNumber, True, $iRecurssionCounter)
    RemoveXColPossibility($x2D, $iGuessNumber, True, $iRecurssionCounter)
    ConsoleWrite("; Start with Number=[" & $iGuessNumber & "] x|y=[" & $x2D & "|" & $y1D & "]" & @CRLF)
    ; Need to remove the guess number from guess possible array
    Switch $y1D
     Case 0 To 2
      $iYStart = 0
     Case 3 To 5
      $iYStart = 3
     Case 6 To 8
      $iYStart = 6
    EndSwitch
    Switch $x2D
     Case 0 To 2
      $iXStart = 0
     Case 3 To 5
      $iXStart = 3
     Case 6 To 8
      $iXStart = 6
    EndSwitch
    For $iY = $iYStart To $iYStart + 2
     For $iX = $iXStart To $iXStart + 2
      $aTemp2 = $gaPuzzle[$iY][$iX][$iaGuessPossible]
      $iDeleteValue = _ArraySearch($aTemp2, $iGuessNumber)
      If $iDeleteValue >= 0 Then _ArrayDelete($aTemp2, $iDeleteValue)
      $gaPuzzle[$iY][$iX][$iaGuessPossible] = $aTemp2
     Next
    Next
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
 If Not $bGuessFound Then
  ConsoleWrite ( "All Single attempt guesses tried, and failed" & @CRLF)
  Return 2
 EndIf
 ; Perform same loops to check for guess fits
 While True
  $msg = GUIGetMsg()
  While FillInEasyAndRemoveKnown(True, $iRecurssionCounter)
  WEnd
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInSectionHasPossibleNumber(True, $iRecurssionCounter) Then ContinueLoop
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInColHasPossibleNumberX(True, $iRecurssionCounter) Then ContinueLoop
  If FillInWhenOnlyOneCellInRowHasPossibleNumberY(True, $iRecurssionCounter) Then ContinueLoop
;~   ; Currently only doing one guess at a time, or resetting
;~   ; Last resort...guess, and attempt to fill all in based on the guess
;~   ; Guess fills in known values to KnownGuess, and checks if all are filled to return true
  If CheckIfWon(True,$iRecurssionCounter) Then
   Return 1
  Else
   Return 0
  EndIf
 WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Guess
Func CheckIfWon($bGuess = False, $iRecurssionCounter = 0)
 $bReturn_CheckIfWon = True
 If Not $bGuess Then
  Else
  EndIf
 Else
  Else
  EndIf
 EndIf
   If StringLen($gaPuzzle[$y1D][$x2D][$iKnown]) = 0 Then
    $bReturn_CheckIfWon = False
   EndIf
  Next
 Next
EndFunc   ;==>CheckIfWon

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Erm,

If MsgBox(1, 1, "Solve on close of this msgbox") <> 1 Then Exit

(edit:

MsgBox(1, 1, "Solve this puzzle?")
)

works a bit better than,

MsgBox(1, 1, "Solve on close of this msgbox")

(especially if SciTE decides to keeps restarting the script after breaking it off. :mellow: )

---

This seems like a hard test puzzle.

Edited by MvGulik

Knock Knock ...