Create your own user function?

Aarstad

How do you create your own function like Controlsend?

Controlsend ("title", "text", controlid, "string") etc.

I am trying to create a function that does the following:

Controlsendconfirm ("mywindow", "mytext", controlid, "mystring")

Func controlsendconfirm ()
    Do
        Controlsend ("hiswindow", "histext", hiscontrolid, "{end}+{home}{backspace}
        Controlsend ("hiswindow", "histext", hiscontrolid, "hisstring")
        Sleep (5)
    Until Controlgettext ("hiswindow", "histext", hiscontrolid) = "hisstring"
Endfunc

I might be trying to do something I have no knowledge over, but I just can't seem to grasp it. Is there a thread that shows me the proper way to do this? The help file didn't get me on the right track.

Thanks!

Firstly Sleep(5) is irrelevant since the minimum is 10 anyway. Secondly, did you look in the help file under Func?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Use the WindowInfo tool on your control, so we can ID it, and post it back to us.

Then you can use ControlSetText(), since that clears out text prior to adding in your new text.

Edit some of the UDF's to see samples of functions, as well.

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Firstly Sleep(5) is irrelevant since the minimum is 10 anyway. Secondly, did you look in the help file under Func?

I did not know that 10 is the minimum, thanks. Can you give me a link? I have been looking at some functions, but they are not like example controlsend, send, mousemove, controlgettext. Basically a function that you created yourself that works just like any of the existing would do.

Use the WindowInfo tool on your control, so we can ID it, and post it back to us.

Then you can use ControlSetText(), since that clears out text prior to adding in your new text.

Edit some of the UDF's to see samples of functions, as well.

Does controlsettext completely ignore the user keyboard?

select

case if it does then i love you!

I have no access to a computer that allows me to test scripts at the moment.

Edited by Aarstad

Controlsendconfirm ("mywindow", "mytext", "controlid", "hisstring")

Func controlsendconfirm ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid, $hisstring)
    Do
        Controlsend ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid, "{end}+{home}{backspace}")
        Sleep (10) ; just my opinion
        Controlsend ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid, $hisstring)
        Sleep (10)
    Until Controlgettext ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid) = $hisstring
Endfunc

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

JohnOne,

You have an additional quote which is messing up the syntax highlight.

Aarstad,

Best to wait until you're at the computer which has AutoIt installed. You will find it more gratifying by doing it yourself than someone else.

Sleep(10) ; Click on Sleep to see the help file.
Func Example() ; Click on Func to see the help file which contains an array of examples.

EndFunc

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Controlsendconfirm ("mywindow", "mytext", "controlid", "hisstring")

Func controlsendconfirm ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid, $hisstring)
Do
Controlsend ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid, "{end}+{home}{backspace}")
Sleep (10) ; just my opinion
Controlsend ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid, $hisstring)
Sleep (10)
Until Controlgettext ($hiswindow, $histext, $hiscontrolid) = $hisstring
Endfunc

Thanks a bunch for this. Is there a reason for sleep (10)?

JohnOne,

You have an additional quote which is messing up the syntax highlight.

Aarstad,

Best to wait until you're at the computer which has AutoIt installed. You will find it more gratifying by doing it yourself than someone else.

Sleep(10) ; Click on Sleep to see the help file.
Func Example() ; Click on Func to see the help file which contains an array of examples.

EndFunc

Yeah. I know. But I also get the gratifying mania feel whenever I locate code that is relevant to what I am trying to achieve. Just like JohnOnes code. It's great and allows me to dissect the code for learning.

Also you might want to have a look at timerinit and timerdiff to add a timeout

for functions like that.

In case of what? If the function freeze?

Same reason as your own sleep, 20 milliseconds is nothing really in a function such as that.

In case a function is failing, It's standard practice to have an escape route, set @error if it times out.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Yeah. I know. But I also get the gratifying mania feel whenever I locate code that is relevant to what I am trying to achieve. Just like JohnOnes code. It's great and allows me to dissect the code for learning.

But you didn't, JohnOne created it to meet your requirements.

UDF List:

I'm not sure about that. Notice that in some loops with no sleep in it, the CPU usage goes up. Now if you put a sleep(1) in there the CPU usage goes to 0. So it means that sleep in loops, even less than 10 are useful.

Maybe you mean that it's pointless to write sleep(5) since it's going to be considered as a sleep(10) ?

I'm not sure about that. Notice that in some loops with no sleep in it, the CPU usage goes up. Now if you put a sleep(1) in there the CPU usage goes to 0. So it means that sleep in loops, even less than 10 are useful.

Maybe you mean that it's pointless to write sleep(5) since it's going to be considered as a sleep(10) ?

As I said it's irrelevant to write Sleep(1) or Sleep(5) as the minimum is Sleep(10) anyway.

UDF List:

The thing is, you knew what you wanted, had a general Idea how to

do it, and put a little effort in to accomplish it.

That's a big deal around here these days, you done good.

Keep it up.

• Moderators

JohnOne,

Be careful with Sleep(0) - that just gives up the next timeslice and if the processor is otherwise idle it can mean you looping pretty fast and using a lot of CPU time. Best to stick with Sleep(10) as a minimum. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

it can mean you looping pretty fast and using a lot of CPU time. Best to stick with Sleep(10) as a minimum.

I'm pretty sure he was kidding about it for suggesting to sleep under 10ms.

Because I don't see the purpose of using it then.