Help with the 123 guide

Hello,

Completely new to everything computer techy related. :)

Found this autoit and forums and have been wanting to learn programming as a hobby to eventually be proficient at editing things, pluggins for games like minecraft, create custom things etc. maybe one day develop, but not my goal.

I am doing the tutorial and have been able to do all the steps on my end. The hello world msg box, my own stuff though, played with the box and options etc.

Problem: Now I was able to use "run" to get notepad open, but I canot get it to open a particular saved notepad. I copied title from teh tool, and nothing. what am I doing wrong?

the code I have is as follows

Run("notepad.exe")

WinWaitActive("asdfasdfasdf - Notepad")

it will open notepad, but a new untitled one, not the one I named. idk if I gave enough info for someone to tell me whats wrong?

sorry am completely new to this.

Look in the help file for Opt and "WinTitleMatchMode". Try using a part of the title of the Notepad window so that it can match the one you want. Also, the Run command runs the program you tell it to, so it will naturally open a new Notepad window.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BenjaminAlvarado,

If you want to open an existing ".txt"file then name the file as a parameter of the run command, something like

run(notepad.exe asdfasdfasdf.txt)

Not sure of the syntax.

kylomas

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

BenjaminAlverado,

Here is the correct syntax

run ("notepad.exe C:UsersADMIN010Desktopasdfasdfasdf.txt")

You can also use "shellexecute" on the file name and let windows use the default program for that extention.

kylomas

edit: change the file name to the fully qualified name...my example happens to be on the desktop

Edited by kylomas

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

BenjaminAlvarado,

The winwaitactive command with the file name

Just to be clear...

The winwait command waits for a window based on the title, not file name. It just happens that notepad uses the file name for it's window title.

Good Luck,

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

thanks so much! it opened it now.

ONly thing that confuses me is how I could not and still do not see your answer anywhere in teh guide nor can I find it in the help thing. . . but whatevs. it works. :)

I dont know what the shellexecute thing is? but I"m sure I"ll come across it in the guide or help. thanks again!

. . .

MsgBox(0, "reply to kylomas", "Thank you sir!" 3)

If you used shellexecute it will open a file with its default application.

So

ShellExecute("C:UsersADMIN010Desktopasdfasdfasdf.txt")

Will do the same job as above

To save more typing, and if the file really is on the desktop

ShellExecute(@DesktopDir & "asdfasdfasdf.txt")

@DesktopDir is just MACRO

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Ooohhh thanks john!

I think I get it. shellexecute and this macro thing are shortcuts you all use to save typing. when you really undestand the concept of what yorue doing. kk thanks!

this is so exciting and interesting! very intriguing Indeed.

Now I am trying to use the wait and send thing to write a text, and save it. I can write the text, (though it only writes half for some reason , its a repeat, "the monkeys are coming the monkeys are coming" but only puts it once in teh file). and I am having trouble getting it to do the alt-y to save. not sure why but I'll figur eit! thanks again!

• Moderators

BenjaminAlvarado,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

As you have been told, if you make some effort you will get lots of help here, but you did say earlier.....

"to learn programming as a hobby to eventually be proficient at editing things, pluggins for games like minecraft"

Please make sure you read the Forum Rules before you post again - we would not want you to get off on the wrong foot. ;)

M23

Edit: And if you come back early, I have lifted the restriction so you can post again immediately. ;)

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hello Melba23,

Thanks for your time! and for allowing me to post again :) I have spent like 6 hours already going over the guide. and messed around with opening files and stuff. ITs probably kid stuff, but I am really diggin it :)

IN regards to my earlier post, I read the rules now, and believe that you do not want anything related to violating ToS of games/servers or editing their functionality intended by the creator?

Very good. I did not intend it to sound like that and shall refrain from any game-related comunication.

I do wish to learn programming in general, and only for personal enrichment to stay on top of the modern world, and stuff :)

• Moderators

BenjaminAlvarado,

and shall refrain from any game-related comunication

Excellent news. :thumbsup:

I am delighted you are using the tutorial to learn - so many people do not even bother and then wonder why they have problems. There is another good basic guide here and a good FAQ in the Wiki - so you have plenty of reading to keep you interested! :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Yup! Glad youre here :)

I'll finish this tutorial then I'll check the one you posted as well. I already went to teh wiki as well.

Atm I am starting Loops. but honestly, started getting lost (and I think the author started speeding up) around arrays, branches, and such. the last part I knew decent was variables.

Also, I"m still unsure of a lot of things, but is this a good place to start as well for learning other thigns in teh future like java and other programming/developing stuff? like, are the concepts or foundational principles the same?

• Moderators

BenjaminAlvarado,

Learning how to code in AutoIt will teach you many things which will be useful regardless of the language you use: logic, rigour, attention to detail. However, standard AutoIt code follows the procedural paradigm - structured code which flows logically. As such it will not prepare you for languages which use the object-oriented paradigm - although there is an OO AutoIt UDF that does a pretty good job of doing that too. ;)

Autoit is also not that fast (in computer, not human terms) as it is interpreted and not truly compiled (even though we use that term when converting a script to an executable file). And it is not really suited to really low-level kernel work - which is true of almost all high-level languages - yet I am constantly amazed at what people can do with it. :o

Overall I would suggest that AutoIt is as good a place to start coding as anywhere else - and a lot better than many. You have an excellent Help file, good tutorials and a very supportive forum (as long as you make some effort as well - we do not like people who just ask for code). So keep at it and do not be afraid to ask even simple questions - we were all beginners once and are always happy to help those who want to learn. :)

M23

P.S. The words in bold]/b] should offer some more bedtime reading if you are interested. :D

Spoiler

Thankyou soo much! Sounds good. sounds like AutoIt is like a hobby/toy for programmers? either way, if it is a start into the world, good start wiht good habits, then sounds good.

;in some random notepad file. . . .

AutoItSendOption("SendKeyDelay", 100)
Send("Those words sound complicated! {enter} but I will add them to my list! along with the guide you mentioned also." & @CRLF & "Thanks for the support!")

I was kinda shying away from asking a question, but I will now :)

IF I understood the guide correctly, a variable $whatever is to store lines of code or strings into it so that next I can just use the variable and it will execute the code I put into it without writing it all over again or copy/pasting?

So I would use teh following line of code

Assign("varname", "data" [, flag] )

and on the "data" area I would put the code? or am I gravely missing something? cause its not wokring :(

• Moderators

BenjaminAlvarado,

You do not need Assign - just a simple "=":

; Assign data to a variable
$sData = "Those words sound complicated! {enter} but I will add them to my list! along with the guide you mentioned also." & @CRLF & "Thanks for the support!"
; Use the variable
Send($sData)

All clear? :)

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

Speaking only to your question about AutoIt being a hobby/toy, I would say definitely not. I use AutoIt almost exclusively for all my business customers, and do everything from managing their networks to creating full blown customer-facing applications (one in particular is now in use in a hospital by ~5500 caregivers). As Melba stated, if you take the time to learn AutoIt, you will be astounded at the power of the language. I think most would agree there is very little you can't do with it. In addition, and one of the reasons I think AutoIt rises above the rest, you have a large community that is dedicated to helping like-minded folks who have a love for the language. Can't ask for much more than that :)

Edit: corrected horrid grammar

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

]@jlogan thanks! that sounds good, like knowing it can be put practically into a business etc is really good. I am starting to dabble into programming (more like obsessively dabble) as something I am liking, but also want it to have a practical application in the future should I choose to use it.

You ppretty much testifiy to that :)

@m23 I see clearly how to assign it now :)

this is correct as it works :)

BlockInput(1)
Run("notepad.exe C:UsersBenjyDesktopfff.txt")
WinWaitActive("fff - Notepad")
AutoItSetOption("SendKeyDelay", 100)
Send("ummm so this is supposed to be on a different line {enter} not sure what that means though." & @CRLF & "This should be on a new line!")
WinClose("fff - Notepad")
WinWaitActive("Notepad")
Send("!s")
$sData = MsgBox(0, "To Commander Atg", "Everything has been done as ordered Sir!", 4)
BlockInput(0)

that should end with the message box. so I assigned into the variable $sData the command of the "msgBox etc". is it possible to assign a second line of code (for example, the entire code I just put) into one variable? would I just separate the functions with commas or end each line with the () and then "msgbox(etc), Send(newtext)" etc?

ps, sorry fixed the code, was overzealos and didn't test it before posting :(

pps: i tried adding more than one line of code into a variable and it wont let me.

Edited by BenjaminAlvarado