open2/popen2

ggg

1. Does AutoItX3 have something analogous to open2 in perl

(or popen2 in Python), that is, a facility that allows one

to control the standard input and output of another process?

Stdoutread in the beta and associated routines seem to be along

these lines but they only seem to be in AutoIt3 and not AutoItX3

or will they be in X3 too?

2. Also will there be a facility to read a line at a time like in

vbscript's readline?

3. Do these new facilities give functionality that will be entirely

new or can this be done already but in a less convenient way?

1). The StdxxxYyy functions (or anything similar to open2/popen2) aren't yet available in AutoItX, I'll defer to one of the "real" developers as to whether they might be added.

2). I haven't planned to make a StdxxxReadLine function, though I've always intended to make a User Defined Function to do so, but I haven't been able to figure out how to determine when you're at the final line without actually reading to EOF.

3). The current workaround involves using output redirection to a file, then reading the content back in from the file with ReadLine...

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

1). The StdxxxYyy functions (or anything similar to open2/popen2) aren't yet available in AutoItX,  I'll defer to one of the "real" developers as to whether they might be added.

2). I haven't planned to make a StdxxxReadLine function, though I've always intended to make a User Defined Function to do so, but I haven't been able to figure out how to determine when you're at the final line without actually reading to EOF.

3). The current workaround involves using output redirection to a file, then reading the content back in from the file with ReadLine...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you're talking about reading a line from the keyboard in number 2, i remember in java when i had to do the same thing, just having a string variable that was concatenated wtih each keypress, truncated if the backspace was received, and the loop terminated if an enter (i want to say Chr(13)) was received... should only be like a 4 or 5 line udf if you count the While and WEnd