Find Installed Torrent Clients?

ken82m

I know their are and endless number of these clients and I will never find them all...

But does anyone know of a descent list of torrent client executables and default install directories?

Or perhaps an existing tool or script to detect installed bit torrent clients on a windows machine? Primarily Windows 7.

Thanks guys,

Kenny

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

• Moderators

Hi, ken82m. As you mentioned, there are a ton of different torrent clients out there. You might be better off just returning a list of what is installed on the machine (minus any windows update), and then go from there. I provided a script in the link below that will allow you to return a list of applications on a remote PC. That may get you started.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

There are portable apps for torrents as well and I suspect those who use torrents, and are malicious enough to use it on someone else's network are aware of them. The only way to really prevent it is to control what processes do run and monitoring traffic for abnormal usage. Policies can be applied to windows 7 for this level of control.

Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

Thanks guys. One more question, Any idea how to pull the username or SID that installed an app?

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,4475.0/

The above has some tips.

Also if you find some sample files in explorer, the "Owner" field metadata may show who installed it.

Here is an AI script for the metadata. I don't know who the OP is.

$path = FileOpenDialog("Select a file to read attributes",@ScriptDir,"All (*.*)")
$prop = _GetExtProperty($path,-1)
_ArrayDisplay($prop,"Property Array")

;===============================================================================
; Function Name:    GetExtProperty($sPath,$iProp)
; Description:      Returns an extended property of a given file.
; Parameter(s):     $sPath - The path to the file you are attempting to retrieve an extended property from.
;                   $iProp - The numerical value for the property you want returned. If $iProp is is set
;                             to -1 then all properties will be returned in a 1 dimensional array in their corresponding order.
;                           The properties are as follows:
;                           Name = 0
;                           Size = 1
;                           Type = 2
;                           DateModified = 3
;                           DateCreated = 4
;                           DateAccessed = 5
;                           Attributes = 6
;                           Status = 7
;                           Owner = 8
;                           Author = 9
;                           Title = 10
;                           Subject = 11
;                           Category = 12
;                           Pages = 13
;                           Comments = 14
;                           Copyright = 15
;                           Artist = 16
;                           AlbumTitle = 17
;                           Year = 18
;                           TrackNumber = 19
;                           Genre = 20
;                           Duration = 21
;                           BitRate = 22
;                           Protected = 23
;                           CameraModel = 24
;                           DatePictureTaken = 25
;                           Dimensions = 26
;                           Width = 27
;                           Height = 28
;                           Company = 30
;                           Description = 31
;                           FileVersion = 32
;                           ProductName = 33
;                           ProductVersion = 34
; Requirement(s):   File specified in $spath must exist.
; Return Value(s):  On Success - The extended file property, or if $iProp = -1 then an array with all properties
;                   On Failure - 0, @Error - 1 (If file does not exist)
; Author(s):        Simucal (Simucal@gmail.com)
; Note(s):
;
;===============================================================================
Func _GetExtProperty($sPath, $iProp)
    Local $iExist, $sFile, $sDir, $oShellApp, $oDir, $oFile, $aProperty, $sProperty
    $iExist = FileExists($sPath)
    If $iExist = 0 Then
        SetError(1)
        Return 0
    Else
        $sFile = StringTrimLeft($sPath, StringInStr($sPath, "", 0, -1))
        $sDir = StringTrimRight($sPath, (StringLen($sPath) - StringInStr($sPath, "", 0, -1)))
        $oShellApp = ObjCreate("shell.application")
        $oDir = $oShellApp.NameSpace ($sDir)
        $oFile = $oDir.Parsename ($sFile)
        If $iProp = -1 Then
            Local $aProperty[35]
            For $i = 0 To 34
                $aProperty[$i] = $oDir.GetDetailsOf ($oFile, $i)
            Next
            Return $aProperty
        Else
            $sProperty = $oDir.GetDetailsOf ($oFile, $iProp)
            If $sProperty = "" Then
                Return 0
            Else
                Return $sProperty
            EndIf
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_GetExtProperty
Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,4475.0/

The above has some tips.

Also if you find some sample files in explorer, the "Owner" field metadata may show who installed it.

Here is an AI script for the metadata. I don't know who the OP is.

That script, unfortunately, only works well on XP because it doesn't show all properties of the file that Windows knows about under Vista/7/8. Plus the numbers for the properties only apply to one version of XP and not all the various SP updates.

I have a link in my signature that is basically the same script, but updated to work on OSs other than XP.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator