Window hangs

telmob

My main UI window is hanging and i can't find out why.

I just want the script to do something after i close the window. So i open (show) the window and wait for it to be closed to apply settings, but after i show the window, i can't do anything with it, not even close it.

Why?

Case $t_msg = "Configure"
WinSetState($SRPEGUI,"",@SW_SHOW)
WinWaitClose("SRP Enforcer")
$msg=msgbox(36,"Settings Changed","Activate now?")
if $msg=6 then install("update")
Edited by telmob

I think you need to show a little more code that you have.

My code is very simple, but kind of big. I have a GUI and a tray with several buttons. When i press 'Configure' in the Tray menu it opens the main window. So far so good, but then it hangs when waiting for it to close. It waits for the window to close to apply settings defined in the GUI.

Does it get stuck on your winwaitclose?

Yes, exactly.

Edited by telmob

• Developers

Well, then you will have to explain what you want to do as i falling short in the clairvoyant department.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

You really haven't explained it very well, you need to post some more of the code to allow us to figure out what you've done wrong.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You really haven't explained it very well, you need to post some more of the code to allow us to figure out what you've done wrong.

Thats my problem, my code is sooo long and dispersed..... I'll try to organize a portion of the code so i can reproduce the error and i'll post it here after.

Thank you

If that window ("SRP Enforcer") is your own gui, then you need to do things differently.

If it is not, then you either have to remove that line or wait for the window to close.

I can only assume the user is supposed to close it, otherwise I don't see the point of it.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Yes, its my own gui. Sorry i haven't been able to post nothing very specific but i'm bashing my head against the wall with so many lines of code.

I have a tray icon with a menu. The menu has an option to 'Configure'. When i press 'Configure' the main gui opens with some settings to chose from, and when i close the gui, the tray menu should update. So:

Case $t_msg = "Configure" ; In case i press configure in the tray menu...
GuiSetState(@SW_SHOW) ; ...the GUI shows
Do
    Sleep(10)
Until Not WinExists("SRP Enforcer") ; When the GUI is closed......
$msg=msgbox(36,"Settings Changed","Activate new settings now?") ; ....it shows this message.

But i cannot close the GUI.......! :(

I am going to have to assume one last time that you have more than one gui

and that this particular gui is not being polled by a message loop (GuiGetMsg)

Without code to see, the best that can be offered is advice to look at the wiki

where you will find Melba23's great guide on working with multiple gui's.

Best of luck.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I am going to have to assume one last time that you have more than one gui

and that this particular gui is not being polled by a message loop (GuiGetMsg)

Without code to see, the best that can be offered is advice to look at the wiki

where you will find Melba23's great guide on working with multiple gui's.

Best of luck.

I don't. I only have one GUI and the tray menu.

Edited by telmob

How do you plan on closing the gui if you don't look for the exit message from it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm sorry, i don't understand. What do you mean?

The GUI has an exit button and even a 'minimize to tray' (@SW_HIDE)button, and they work (without the winwaitclose or whatever).

Where does the script check for the exit condition on the GUI? Because you're not checking in the Do loop, so it will never close, unless you're using OnEvent mode, which it doesn't appear that you are.

• Developers

With Event mode you need to ensure that the Fired Func isn't hanging either or else the next event will not fire until it completes.

There are a couple of options:

1 setting a variable in the Fired Event Func and returning and then act in the Variable value in the While-Wend loop.

2.do a mix of Event and Message loop.

This is an example of the second option:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
Local $Button_1, $Button_2, $msg
GUICreate("My GUI Button") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "SpecialEvents")
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_MINIMIZE, "SpecialEvents")
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_RESTORE, "SpecialEvents")

Opt("GUICoordMode", 2)
$Button_1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Wait for window", 10, 30, 100)
$Button_2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Close", 0, -1)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "ClosePressed")

GUISetState() ; will display an dialog box with 2 button

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
While 1
     $msg = GUIGetMsg()
     Select
         Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE or $msg = $Button_2
             MsgBox(0, "MsgLoop-Close Pressed","MsgLoop-Close Pressed")
             ExitLoop
         Case $msg = $Button_1
             Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
             GUICtrlSetData($Button_1,"Waiting-hang")
             Winwait("does exixts") ; hanging func
             GUICtrlSetData($Button_1,"Wait for window")
             Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 0)
     EndSelect
WEnd
EndFunc ;==>Example
;
Func ClosePressed()
MsgBox(0, "Event - Close Pressed", "ID=" & @GUI_CtrlId & " WinHandle=" & @GUI_WinHandle & " CtrlHandle=" & @GUI_CtrlHandle)
Exit
EndFunc ;==>CancelPressed
;
Func SpecialEvents()
Select
     Case @GUI_CtrlId = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
         MsgBox(0, "Event-Close Pressed", "ID=" & @GUI_CtrlId & " WinHandle=" & @GUI_WinHandle)
         Exit
EndSelect
EndFunc ;==>SpecialEvents
Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Where does the script check for the exit condition on the GUI? Because you're not checking in the Do loop, so it will never close, unless you're using OnEvent mode, which it doesn't appear that you are.

I now understand. It is clear to me now that i should place the 'after-exit' settings in the gui itself instruction after closing it.

With Event mode you need to ensure that the Fired Func isn't hanging either or else the next event will not fire until it completes.

There are a couple of options:

1 setting a variable in the Fired Event Func and returning and then act in the Variable value in the While-Wend loop.

2.do a mix of Event and Message loop.

This is an example of the second option:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
Local $Button_1, $Button_2, $msg
GUICreate("My GUI Button") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "SpecialEvents")
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_MINIMIZE, "SpecialEvents")
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_RESTORE, "SpecialEvents")

Opt("GUICoordMode", 2)
$Button_1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Wait for window", 10, 30, 100)
$Button_2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Close", 0, -1)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "ClosePressed")

GUISetState() ; will display an dialog box with 2 button

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
While 1
     $msg = GUIGetMsg()
     Select
         Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE or $msg = $Button_2
             MsgBox(0, "MsgLoop-Close Pressed","MsgLoop-Close Pressed")
             ExitLoop
         Case $msg = $Button_1
             Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
             GUICtrlSetData($Button_1,"Waiting-hang")
             Winwait("does exixts") ; hanging func
             GUICtrlSetData($Button_1,"Wait for window")
             Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 0)
     EndSelect
WEnd
EndFunc ;==>Example
;
Func ClosePressed()
MsgBox(0, "Event - Close Pressed", "ID=" & @GUI_CtrlId & " WinHandle=" & @GUI_WinHandle & " CtrlHandle=" & @GUI_CtrlHandle)
Exit
EndFunc ;==>CancelPressed
;
Func SpecialEvents()
Select
     Case @GUI_CtrlId = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
         MsgBox(0, "Event-Close Pressed", "ID=" & @GUI_CtrlId & " WinHandle=" & @GUI_WinHandle)
         Exit
EndSelect
EndFunc ;==>SpecialEvents

Thank you so much for your help and time spent.

I have solved my problem. It was indeed a placement problem. Sorry i couldn't explain any better, but i already have 7000 lines of code and some of it i took from two scripts i found here on the forum, so it was hard for me to extract the portion i was having trouble with.

Again... thank you and sorry for the trouble.

You guys rock!

Edited by telmob