Wait for a tooltip?

Angel

Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to make AutoIt wait for a tooltip, in the same way as you can make it wait for a window with a certain title or text. Some programs show a tooltip when something happens, and I'd like to make a script that "reacts" to that tooltip.

So is it possible? I could not find any ToolTip related function (other than ToolTip) in the help file! :whistle:

Thanks!

Angel

Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to make AutoIt wait for a tooltip, in the same way as you can make it wait for a window with a certain title or text. Some programs show a tooltip when something happens, and I'd like to make a script that "reacts" to that tooltip.

So is it possible? I could not find any ToolTip related function (other than ToolTip) in the help file! :whistle:

Thanks!

Angel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's a neat idea, i couldn't find anything either, but i'm sure it's possible to make a UDF for that... i will try to take a look at it at home today and will post if i am able to figure anything out...

You're saying an additional parameter?

Like timeout in TrayTip?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, what I mean is that I want my script to sit there waiting for a ToolTip that is shown by a different application (that is, not by my script). Once it detects the tooltip, it would read its contents and act accordingly.

For instance (this is not exactly what I want to do, but it should give you an idea), windows shows a tooltip when the disk space is low. I could make a script that waits for that tooltip and deletes the temp folder, for instance. Of course there are other ways of solving this particular problem with AutoIt but as I said this is just an example.

So what I want is something like "ToolTipWait" or "ToolTipWaitText" and I wonder if this is something that can already be done today with AutoIt.

If not this would be a great addition, I think.

Cheers,

Angel

A tooltip is a window.  AutoIt can find windows.  Therefore, AutoIt can find Tooltips.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so I can just use WinWait and so on? On retrospective I should have thought about that, but I did not know that Tooltips are windows from Windows perspective. And by the way, when I said ToolTips I actually meant TrayTips (the events are shown by tray programs). I guess that this will work too, right? (I will try it, but it'd be nice to have it here for someone else looking for this info).

Actually, I think that it'd be great if this was mentioned somewhere in the help file. Perhaps a section explaining what a window is and what it is not? It is probably evident to the Windows gurus that make AutoIt but that is hardly the majority of AutoIt users! :-)

Thanks Valik!

Angel

...when I said ToolTips I actually meant TrayTips...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I came really close to asking about this difference in terms, because your illustration of low disk space is a "Tray Tip".... but alas, I got caught up in playing with WinList() and a Tray Tip of my own and never got back the the post.

I never saw the Tray Tip in the Winlist. Tool Tips did not show up either - but that is probably because I do not know what I'm doing. Both types of tips were probably there among the "invisible or untitled" windows. It was fun nonetheless.

later....

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Actually, I think that it'd be great if this was mentioned somewhere in the help file. Perhaps a section explaining what a window is and what it is not? It is probably evident to the Windows gurus that make AutoIt but that is hardly the majority of AutoIt users! :-)

Thats a rather simple one as well. Assuming the object is real, meaning its not just a picture which the application defines its own hit region for, then its a "widnow".