Pictures inside EXE's and hard to close EXE's

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums as a poster but have found a lot of help here before.

I have two issues for you.

I am building a small program for a friend that only allows her kids to have a certain amount of time on the computer before it locks them out, she then has to type in a password and it unlocks the computer, she can grant them more time or exit the program or whatever. So you understand how the lock works, all it does is throw up a GUI that is the exact size of the screen, it runs through a loop that continuously makes sure that the GUI is on top and active and waits for a password.

I have the whole program written and working great but i realized one problem, if the kids know how to access task manager then they can just close desktoplock.exe and they won't get locked out! So I searched the forums for a way to make it hard to close an EXE that's running, but people were accusing other of writing viruses and such so i figured i'd make my own new topic.

So the question is:

Is there an easy way to make it so either they can't see it in task manager, or they need some kind of permission to run task manager, or they need permission to close it, something so the kids can't close the EXE before it locks them out. Can you guys think of any solutions?

Second, the aforementioned desktop lock program has pictures as backgrounds in all of the UI windows. I would really like to be able to compile these pictures into the EXE, that way I can just paste the EXE in her computer and be done with it, instead of making sure the pictures are in the right directory and all that crap. It would just be really nice if there was an easy way to compile the EXE with pictures included.

I realize that there is probably some desktop lock or child lock applications out there, but I am trying to learn how to create more complex GUI's and was talking to this friend and decided to take on a little project to help me learn.

Thanks for the help.

David

• Moderators

DavidStark,

Question 1: Yes, hiding exes from Task Manager can be done, but we are not prepared to have it openly discussed on the forum. :naughty:

Question 2: Look at FileInstall or Zedna's Resource UDF. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Question 1: Yes, hiding exes from Task Manager can be done, but we are not prepared to have it openly discussed on the forum. :naughty:

Mmmk, can you think of a different simple way to keep them from accessing it? Like is there anything in windows that puts restrictions on task manager?

Question 2: Look at FileInstall or Zedna's Resource UDF. :)

Awesome! I'm going to check that out.

Thanks!

David