Send command does not complete

Hi

I'm new to AutoIt and this is probably a very basic question. I have the following script that I'm playing with.

Run("WINWORD.EXE")

WinWainActive("Document1 - Microsoft Word")

Send("This is my test string")

WinClose("Document1 - Microsoft Word")

WinWaitActive("Microsoft Office Word")

Send("!y")

WinWaitActive("Save As")

Send("c:\temp\test.doc")

Only the word "This" gets send to the document and the rest of it "is my test string" ends up getting sent to the Save dialog box rather than the "C:\temp\test.doc". I'm sure I've missed something but I can't figure out what

Thank you,

Mike

Not tested:

Run("C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12winword.exe")
WinWaitActive("Document1 - Microsoft Word")
sleep(1000) ; test this time
Send("!y")
WinWaitActive("Save As")
Send("c:temptest.doc")

Edit - Tested and appears to work

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• Moderators

If you are specifically using Word, I would do it this way (from the help file):

#include <Word.au3>

$oWordApp = _WordCreate(@DesktopDir & "Test.doc", 0, 0)

Local $oDoc = _WordDocGetCollection($oWordApp, 0)
 $oDoc.Range.insertAfter("This is my text string.")
_WordQuit($oWordApp, -1)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

This might be off topic, but think it might need some attention. There are a few things that appear to not work correctly with the function Send().

1. When using Alt, Shift, Ctrl with Send(), it sometimes locks the keys as described here.

2. When sending a string as above, it appears that the Send() function does not complete before returning to the calling code.

Maybe someone (dev) can revamp the function and fix these?

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

I've had the Send() not complete many times

What I do is find where it stops sending and create a new Send to follow.

For example:

Send("This")

Send(" is my test")

Send(" string.")

Which has always solved my problem

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

You can also unlock them as describe in your link.

I've never seen a send function not complete, perhaps you can provide an example.

OP provided an example - that is why I said that. Also, if it can be unlocked by code, why not just enter that code into the original function, as to not allow it to happen in the first place. I am just saying that it could be all inclusive, ie make sure it sends the complete line of text, and make sure it releases the keys that get stuck down when using it.

EDIT added the code from OP

Run("WINWORD.EXE")
WinWainActive("Document1 - Microsoft Word")
Send("!y")
WinWaitActive("Save As")
Send("c:temptest.doc")
Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Never experienced it.

$MyString = "This is my string"

_Send($MyString)

Func _Send($sString)
    Local $aString = StringSplit($sString,"")
    For $i = 1 To $aString[0]
        Send($aString[$i])
    Next
EndFunc

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

The Send command is prone to problems as it is, and should only be used in very specific cases. Adding more code to an already marginal use command wouldn't make much sense.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The Send command is prone to problems as it is, and should only be used in very specific cases. Adding more code to an already marginal use command wouldn't make much sense.

In my case, I use the Send command to script a type of form (really a script) that puts the same set of text chars everytime a new task is to be performed. Is there something else that could be used instead? Without a lot of extra code and time, filling in a form with tabs and pasted text sent via the Send command is a simple script to write.

I don't know, I'm just above slightly confident that it would

workaround the problem in the first post.

I will test this when I get back to office and see if it fixes the issue - as I got the same results as the OP with their code - I hard coded my path though. The Sleep command I put in did in fact fix the issue. Not sure if the text had been longer, the same Sleep time would have worked. Your code looks like it would make sure each character was sent. That in combination of the link I posted would be what I would think would be easy to code - not saying I could do it, but knowing what needs to be done, I could do it in AutoIt code. But I can understand if not too many people are using it then changing the existing code might not be worth it.

EDIT I just thought of another work around, not tested, but sending the text to the clipboard and then using Send command to paste the text - with ctrl v, but you would still have to deal with the sticky keys.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

ControlSend is more reliable than Send, because you specify the window and the exact control to send the text to. Send relies on the hope that the cursor is in the right place when you send the text, if anyone uses the keyboard or the mouse while Sending then that's not going to be the case. Also, Send requires the window to be the active window and visible, ControlSend can send to a minimized window and even works when the computer is locked which Send can't.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator