Questions about networking

Khryus

Hi there, I'm here to ask what do you think about my idea:

So there's this game (if you're about to stop reading and link me to the rules page, please don't and keep reading), Dustforce, which has multiplayer on a single client but doesn't have online multiplayer.

In order to play it with my friends, I had the idea of making a script which would allow us to. The script would consist in a server and a client. The server would take a screenshot every x seconds (20 to 60?) and either upload it to a VPS (via ftp) or directly to the client(s) (p2p). These images would then be downloaded (if uploaded to a VPS) and displayed on the clients. In order to interact (moving the character, attacking and such), the clients would be able to send only the keys they were supposed to use (4 for movement and 3 for attacks if I'm correct) to the server, which would then send them to the game window, causing their respective character to move/attack whatever.

I hope I explained it well enough. Now, here are the questions:

What kind of problems can I come across by using the FTP method (which is to me the easier one)? (I realize that the hoster's upload speed and the client's download speed + the VPS's up/down speed are one of the biggest problems)

Would you suggest using FTP or P2P?

If P2P, would the hoster and the clients require port forwarding?

Improvements?

Any kind of help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

"The story of a blade is linked in Blood." 

―Yasuo

which would then send them to the game window, causing their respective character to move/attack whatever.

I think you just said that you'll interact with a game window. muttley

Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to use FTP for this.

When the words fail... music speaks.

Yeah, I am interacting with a game window, but it's not like this is cheating/hacking or illegal stuff.

Simply other people are controlling their characters on my machine remotely :D

"The story of a blade is linked in Blood." 

―Yasuo

• Developers

Please read the Forum Rules - particularly the bit about not discussing games or game servers, regardless of the game - before you post again.

Thread locked.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)