Report Help File Issues Here

BrewManNH

This quote is from the Help for Dim:

I have found that there is another use for DIm: where a vector may have 0 or >0 elements.

• Let's say it starts with 0 elements. So I code Global $vec = 0.
  • It then acquires 2 elements, so I code Dim $vec[2].
  • It then goes back to 0 elements, so I code $vec = 0
  • It acquires 5 elements, so I code Dim $vec[5]
Case 3 above is covered by the Help for Dim, but the other cases are not covered.

Any thoughts about how to document this?

• $vec = 0
  • $vec is now a 1D array with 2 elements
  • $vec is now a simple variable again, and equals 0, array contents lost
  • $vec is again a 1D array but now with 5 elements
All of this is covered in the help file.

To erase an array (maybe because it is a large global array and you want to free the memory), simply assign a single value to it:

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

What's going on with Dim? All I know is that it's been superceeded. Are there plans to remove it altogether eventually?

This question should be asked in the AutoIt beta thread.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

"Local scope if the variable name doesn't already exist globally (in which case it reuses the global variable!)"

People started using it in lieu of Global or Local, which are preferred as they are more specific, so the "Don't use Dim" warning was given. Nobodies complained, so even old-ish members like Czardas have never seen it used (apart from when used incorrectly). I don't think I've ever seen a case where it was needed.

Don't see the point in removing it really, perhaps it might come in handy some day.

It would not really matter if it were removed from the help file though (which I suspect czardas meant) , if no-one felt like supporting it. Would not be the first undocumented something or other would it?

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

VarGetType

I don't understand that. VarGetType does not distinguish between types?

Try it with a variable you set to 1.0, VarGetType should return Double and IsInt will return true.

Edit: It doesn't seem to attempt any conversion from a string though, IsInt("2") still returns 0.

Edited by Mat

Mat,

Add

for such numbers as 1.0

string

This will help to quickly understand

_WinAPI_PostMessage

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
Global $k = 0
$Gui = GUICreate("WM_COMMAND", 390, 220)
$iButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button", 10, 15, 90, 28, 0)
$hButton = GUICtrlGetHandle(-1)
$Label = GUICtrlCreateEdit('', 115, 5, 270, 210, $ES_MULTILINE)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, -1, -1, 0, 'Courier') ; Крупный шрифт
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xfffbd7)
GUISetState()

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
AdlibRegister("_Test", 1000)

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Func _Test()
    _WinAPI_PostMessage($Gui, $WM_COMMAND, _WinAPI_MakeLong($iButton, $BN_DBLCLK), $hButton)
EndFunc   ;==>_Test

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $Msg, $wParam, $lParam)
    Local $nID = BitAND($wParam, 0xFFFF) ; _WinAPI_LoWord
    Local $nNotifyCode = BitShift($wParam, 16) ; _WinAPI_HiWord

GUICtrlSetData($Label, _
            ' Parameters:' & @CRLF & _
            ' -----------------------------' & @CRLF & _
            ' $hWnd .: ' & $hWnd & @CRLF & _
            ' $Msg ..: ' & Hex(Int($Msg), 4) & @CRLF & _
            ' $wParam: ' & $wParam & @CRLF & _
            ' $lParam: ' & $lParam & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
            ' Info:' & @CRLF & _
            ' -----------------------------' & @CRLF & _
            ' NotifyCode : ' & $nNotifyCode & @CRLF & _
            ' CtrlID ....: ' & $nID & @CRLF & _
            ' CtrlHWnd ..: ' & $lParam)
    $k += 1
    WinSetTitle($Gui, '', 'Count ' & $k)
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND
Edited by AZJIO

_WinAPI_SetWindowText

String to be used as the new title or control te

Fixed. Thanks.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

_WinAPI_PostMessage

Was this for me or Mat?

UDF List:

Ah OK. Well AZJIO would need to tidy the function before I commit it to SVN. Otherwise wait until I have time to do it.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Was this for me or Mat?

This is for someone who can make amendments

That's how many examples do

_WinAPI_GetWindowRect

_WinAPI_ShowCursor

_WinAPI_ShowError

_WinAPI_ShowMsg

_WinAPI_MsgBox

_WinAPI_SetWindowText

_WinAPI_GetWindowHeight

_WinAPI_GetWindowWidth

_WinAPI_MoveWindow

_WinAPI_SetFocus

_WinAPI_InProcess

_WinAPI_FindWindow

_WinAPI_AttachConsole

_WinAPI_AttachThreadInput

_WinAPI_BitBlt

_WinAPI_CallNextHookEx

_WinAPI_CommDlgExtendedError

_WinAPI_CopyIcon

_WinAPI_CreateBitmap

_WinAPI_CreateCompatibleBitmap

_WinAPI_CreateCompatibleDC

_WinAPI_CreateEvent

_WinAPI_CreateFontIndirect

_WinAPI_CreateProcess

_WinAPI_CreateWindowEx

_WinAPI_DefWindowProc

_WinAPI_DeleteDC

_WinAPI_DestroyIcon

_WinAPI_DestroyWindow

_WinAPI_DrawFrameControl

_WinAPI_FatalAppExit

_WinAPI_FillRect

_WinAPI_FlushFileBuffers

_WinAPI_FormatMessage

_WinAPI_GetAsyncKeyState

_WinAPI_GetCurrentProcess

_WinAPI_GetCurrentThread

_WinAPI_GetDeviceCaps

_WinAPI_GetDIBits

_WinAPI_GetGuiResources

_WinAPI_GetLastError

_WinAPI_GetLastErrorMessage

_WinAPI_GetObject

_WinAPI_GetOverlappedResult

_WinAPI_GetParent

_WinAPI_GetProcessAffinityMask

_WinAPI_GetStdHandle

_WinAPI_GetStockObject

_WinAPI_GetSysColorBrush

_WinAPI_GetTextExtentPoint32

_WinAPI_GetWindow

_WinAPI_GetWindowLong

_WinAPI_GetWindowRect

_WinAPI_GetWindowRgn

_WinAPI_GUIDFromString

_WinAPI_GUIDFromStringEx

_WinAPI_InvalidateRect

_WinAPI_IsClassName

_WinAPI_LoadImage

_WinAPI_LocalFree

_WinAPI_MakeLong

_WinAPI_MakeQWord

_WinAPI_Mouse_Event

_WinAPI_MulDiv

_WinAPI_MultiByteToWideCharEx

_WinAPI_OpenProcess

_WinAPI_ReadProcessMemory

_WinAPI_RedrawWindow

_WinAPI_RegisterWindowMessage

_WinAPI_ReleaseCapture

_WinAPI_SetCapture

_WinAPI_SetCursor

_WinAPI_SetDefaultPrinter

_WinAPI_SetDIBits

_WinAPI_SetEvent

_WinAPI_SetFont

_WinAPI_SetHandleInformation

_WinAPI_SetLastError

_WinAPI_SetProcessAffinityMask

_WinAPI_SetWindowLong

_WinAPI_SetWindowPos

_WinAPI_StringFromGUID

_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo

_WinAPI_TwipsPerPixelX

_WinAPI_TwipsPerPixelY

_WinAPI_UpdateLayeredWindow

_WinAPI_UpdateWindow

_WinAPI_WaitForInputIdle

_WinAPI_WaitForMultipleObjects

_WinAPI_WaitForSingleObject

_WinAPI_WriteConsole

_WinAPI_WriteProcessMemory

examples.7z

Edited by AZJIO

OK, thanks AZJIO.

Edit: Looking at some of the examples, my only concern is the structure in which you present the examples, don't forget the help file is there for new users to AutoIt. For example in _WinAPI_ShowCursor you use -3 instead of $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, which to the experienced is well known, but to those of us who have limited knowledge, this isn't so obvious at what it does.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

OK, thanks AZJIO.

Edit: Looking at some of the examples, my only concern is the structure in which you present the examples, don't forget the help file is there for new users to AutoIt. For example in _WinAPI_ShowCursor you use -3 instead of $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, which to the experienced is well known, but to those of us who have limited knowledge, this isn't so obvious at what it does.

Users of magic numbers will be shot. My new years resolution has become the complete abolition of magic numbers in the helpfile, and I'm merging a lot of the changes needed to do that already.

People using MsgBox(0, ...), which is probably everyone, you are going to have to change your ways.

This text:

###ReturnValue###

Success: True

Failure: False

I replaced with it

###ReturnValue###

@@ReturnTable@@

Success: True

Failure: False

@@End@@

By means of regular expression

$test = StringRegExpReplace($test, '(###rn)(Success:.+?rnFailure:.+?rn)(rn)', '1@@ReturnTable@@' & @CRLF & '2@@End@@' & @CRLF & '3')

you use -3 instead of $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

I can correct it at any time for couple of seconds at once in all files (by means of TextReplace). I use the " There are old pieces of code that can be updated. Importantly make examples and then improve. I'm not afraid of the aura of these numbers, because they still have to be used, such as FileOpen. Edited by AZJIO

This text:

I replaced with it

By means of regular exp<b></b>ression

$test = StringRegExpReplace($test, '(###rn)(Success:.+?rnFailure:.+?rn)(rn)', '1@@ReturnTable@@' & @CRLF & '2@@End@@' & @CRLF & '3')
Done.

UDF List: