Speaking Clock

forever

[expecting 0.3 for Sunday/Monday]

I just wanted to know what you think of my speaking clock, and if you got any ideas to make it better.

Works only under Windows XP.

If you have no extra-voices installed you can still use Microsoft Sam (sounds very ugly).

Change Voice at:

TrayIcon, rightclick, configure.

Hear time with "Windows+T"

Thanks in advance for any responses

° You are ingame (fullmode) and don't know the time?

° You need the place in the systray?

° You got a taskbar which automaticly hides and you want to know the time ?

+ The answer is: Hear it!

Download Speaking Clock (compiled) (v.0.2c)

Download Speaking Clock Source (v.0.2c)

oversee of free downloadable voices

requirements

Windows XP + any installed voice (if there is none, it'll try to use Microsoft Sam)

Todo List

° Countdown function (last 5 secs it counts down)

° Alarm function

° perhaps: compatibilty for other systems

° perhaps: sound files to work without voice api

° german voice (perhaps more languages, if anyone wants one)

° any suggestions for more?

Known bugs

none

version 0.2c (bugfix)

FIXED:

if your username is written in cap. letters, e.g. FOREVER, you'll hear each letter pronounced. (fixed in 0.3)

version 0.2b (critical bugfix)

FIXED:

Win+T does not speak the time when it is e.g. 9PM or 10PM on the hour

version 0.2

till x:29 it says for example it's 19 minutes after x am/pm

after 30 it says for example it's 5 minutes to <the next hour> am/pm

removed the zero infront of the first 9 minutes (it said zero one minute, not one minute)

Edited by forever

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks nice.

and how can you prefere an exe that can steal passwords & delete your files ?

maby you could use some of the build in macro styles for like the time.

Edited by w0uter

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

Nice one foRever!

One small glitch I found -- pressing Windows+T on the hour did not give me a spoken time. Maybe doing this in your code might help:

if (@MIN >= 01) Then
    _TalkOBJ('It is ' & @MIN & ' minutes after ' & $HOUR & $zone, $speaker)
else
    _TalkOBJ('It is ' & $HOUR & $zone, $speaker)
endIf

:whistle: How about having your script say 'it is xx minutes to (the next hour)' when it's later than half past, e.g. 'it is 20 minutes to 11'?

How about having your script say 'it is xx minutes to (the next hour)' when it's later than half past, e.g. 'it is 20 minutes to 11'?

I'll come up with a new version today. Could we first speak about your problem please? So i could integrate a solution for that, too (if it is my fault)

pressing Windows+T on the hour did not give me a spoken time.

It doesn't say the time?

Does it speak any other thing? (Like Greeting, Startupmsg, Credits)?

have you tried to change the hotkey? Perhaps it's already in use(grabbed) by another program?

have you set up a voice in the configuration?

(press the "searchvoices" button, then click on the dropdown and chose one)

--

I'd really like to get a bit more feedback, ..if there people trying this (but they are there.. i see it at the download rates :whistle:)

Also i'd be happy about new ideas i could integrate, or about mistakes i should change.

Edited by forever

It doesn't say the time?

Does it speak any other thing? (Like Greeting, Startupmsg, Credits)?

have you tried to change the hotkey? Perhaps it's already in use(grabbed) by another program?

have you set up a voice in the configuration?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just not talking in that one minute of the hour.

Everything was working as expected both before and after that one minute, but for some reason the Win+T shortcut didn't appear to do anything in that minute.

If I can remember to try again on the next hour, I will. :whistle:

In what minute?

x:30? u got the new version?

(to try you can also set your system-clock to the time u want.)

beerman: nice idea, but it "speaks" the username, so how can i make this ? :whistle: it says "good morning, <username>" for example "good morning, forever" ...thats not that easy without the voice api

I can confirm that Win+T does not speak the time when it is e.g. 9PM or 10PM on the hour. This is because you do not set the $Min variable in your Switch @MIN block when @MIN = 0.

If you place MsgBox(0, "$Hour & $Min =", $Hour & $Min) after this switch block and restart the script with the system clock at ××.00, you will receive a variable used without being declared error.

Fixed (0.2b)

It seems that nobody is really interested in this (yea.. i know .. what a pointless tool... i was just bored).

Thats why i'm gonna stop the work on it.

Only bugfixes if anybody find bugs!

Thanks for your help LxP.

now i'm bored again...

anyone got an idea for a tool which uses voices (voice api or voice files), please post here or pm me ... i want to do something! =D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I edited Config.ini to remove Microsoft Sam executed speakingclock.exe. No speech.

Not surprised. Select Configure , select Search for voices, Did not find any voices, not even Microsoft Sam. The reason I did this, I downloaded other voices, and search did not find them, so I wanted to see if search would find Microsoft Sam. It didn't.

A bug?

Also, tried to compile source. I am using lastest beta but my compiler doesn't know what a SWITCH is. Select?

Lee Cole

Talking Clockhttp://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20751Talking Headlineshttp://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20655Sometimes, I sits and thinkssometimes, I just sits

I am using lastest beta but my compiler doesn't know what a SWITCH is.  Select?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhh... maybe not? Switch..EndSwitch has been available since v3.1.1.65 from July... :whistle:

Uhh... maybe not? Switch..EndSwitch has been available since v3.1.1.65 from July... :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, but my version of the compiler claims not to know nor does Beta Help. In any case, it was trivial to recode as select statements. The more serious issue was that the search doesn't seem to find ANY voices if I remove "MicroSoft Sam" from the initial config.ini. Oviously "Microsoft Sam" is there since it plays OK with it specified, so if the search works, why wouldn't it find that one at least? Just trying to learn.....

Lee Cole

Edited by leecole

Talking Clockhttp://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20751Talking Headlineshttp://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20655Sometimes, I sits and thinkssometimes, I just sits

Even after completely deleting the INI file, on my system the script successfully detects 'Microsoft Sam' after clicking Search Voices.

Also, my help file contains documentation on the Switch..EndSwitch construct. Do you have the beta and release versions installed alongside eachother? I believe that special steps are needed to run components of the beta in that case (extra Start menu level perhaps -- I just unzipped beta files over my release files).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK. just got the latest beta and Switch is there. Still search never returns anything. Since Microsoft Sam works, it seems that it should at least be able to find it.

Lee Cole

Hey leecole, could you give me some Informations, what you r doing.

I'll try to helpyou.

Give me some Information about your Software Setup and say me if you'r doing it this way:

start speakingclock.exe

press configure

press search voices

the drop down turns blank

open thedrop down

...see if it found microsoft sam!

anyone wants more features in this?