Is AutoIt what I need to enter data

Hello all, forgive me for the generic title but.. I need to enter in 1700 pieces of information into a form (not a website but an application). This will require pulling data from a txt file or excel file (list of names) and enter that data into a form, hit enter and repeat.

Now I have worked with TypeItin and vbscript scripting but I am curious if AutoIt can assist with this task? Now, I am not asking for someone to write it for me but merely if Autoit can do this function, maybe some help in a direction so I can start learning.

I can see how awesome AutoIt is and I want to learn more but before I bury my head into it I would like to know if this is language I should pursue for now. Have to start on this project soon and want to get something coded.

Thank you for your time.

SeanWhitney,

I would like to know if this is language I should pursue for now

Depends on your alternatives. 1st a couple questions.

1 - Does the app have a batch interface / update utility?

2 - Can the app accept command line args for what you want to update?

3 - Does the app use standard Windows controls?

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Well, this app is called Meditech. It accepts commands like {TAB} and {Enter} but as far as any other commands it does not. Everyone has said it can't be done but I am sure there is a way to do it through some form of keystroking with variables from a text file.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Oh, thank you for replying. I know my post is very NOOB and most likely is quite annoying.

SeanWhitney,

Not annoying at all! What do you mean by "accepts commands"?

kylomas

Well, when ever I want to try and do something with automation I see how I can do it manually. Unfortunately this software is a UI only interface. By commands I should have said keystrokes. I can enter in data by typing it (like: mynameismud) and then hit TAB to go to the next field, then enter in more data (like: mysistersnameispie) and hit ENTER. This ENTER is what saves the data into the program.

I have 1700 + entries to put in and will suck do type manually. As far as field identifiers I am not sure if it has any. Like I was reading about hos autoit can specify which fields to enter data into (like a website). I have not researched to much into that because not sure if it will work for my case.

Yes kinda.. The software is a EMR system but I will be entering in IT data. I must declare PC names that is on the network. I already have my device in a list but that list must be put into the system. There is a way to automate this from the manufacture but that is a whole nether software package that I am unable to get.

A google search for "meditech batch" turned up several interesting sites. Cursory examination shows that there is a "language" associated with the product. I don't know whether it is a cost item or not. There are also 3RD party tools that reference "script" solutions, these are definitly a cost item. However, the fact that they use the term "script" suggests that interface with the UI is scriptable (for lack of a better term).

All of that notwithstanding, this is not like adding 100 printers. There is a certain risk, both liability and safety associated with medical records. It may be that there is zero risk with your task, I don't know enough about this EMR system to say. I do know that if I was was going to do anything outside of the confines of the Meditech software I would get approval for it.

You may want to have one of your DB people take a look at this also. This thing uses a DB and supports an SQL interface (again, don't know if this is a cost item).

I apologize, in advance, if my answer seems evasive. Perhaps one of the "heavy hitters" on this forum has an opinion.

Good Luck,

kylomas

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Worst case scenario, you can always use send() commands...but those are not the best way to go about it. That's sending tab, and sending keys to type in the values you need.

One way to find out if you may automate in a more fail-proof method. Download the software, launch your application, and use the AutoIT windows info tool. You will see a 'Finder Tool'. Drag that onto one of the inputs on the application's ui. Go to the Summary tab, and paste it back in here. Someone will then let you know what you can do with it. (remove sensitive info first)

Edit: Or the db inserts would be a good route too, but you need the access rights for that (db connection string)...that's another possibility with autoit

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Thank you for the responses, I tried to reply back but i hit my max 5 posts.. I am still looking into a AutoIt solution to pass keyboard strokes. I need to learn how to get a text file or excel file into a split array so I don't have to code every entry..

I will look at the "finder tool" you suggested, I just need to learn how to get that data into memory so I can use it.

Once you find out if the input fields in your application have identifiers (via the AutoIt window info tool), throw up an example of what your data file will look like and we can start to sculpt something out and lead you in the right direction.

Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

• Developers

Thank you for the responses, I tried to reply back but i hit my max 5 posts..

You only have that one time the first day to avoid spammers to flood our forums.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Sean,

I also work in the medical field and I can tell you with 100% confidence that AutoIt is what you are looking for. I can’t tell you how many thousands (that’s right thousands) of man hours AutoIt has saved my hospital by doing exactly what you are talking about.

Primarily I use the excel UDF to extract data into an array than I use a combination of tabs or control clicks. I would suggest opening up Au3Info.exe (in your autoit folder) and moving your mouse to the different fields. If it is an executable that is ran locally (ie not Citrix or something) there is a very good chance you will be able to pull and call several fields from Meditech itself. If it is published via a thin client I would suggest installing it on your PC.

I have done some very, very complicated logic with this (it can do far more than simply copy and paste into your form) and though your first app will take a really long time to get working correctly it will pay incredible dividends in the long run.

Another thing to look out for... be very, VERY careful of your app and run it with you behind the screen (I usually put a 500 MS pause before each patient/doctor/whatever is saved). It is far too easy to walk away and come back with 50,000 improperly created records that now have to be purged… or worse when patient info is concerned.

Many people in the forum are extremely helpful but just remember that many don’t use this for sensitive data so be especially careful when copying code because you can’t have even 1 record missed/written wrong (oops that HIV result should have been positive? My bad guess that translation should have been switched).

Good luck!

Edited by boogieoompa

SeanWhitney,

Please heed boogieoompa's advice. One way to protect yourself and patients is to have a fall back environment that can be rolled into place with a couple of file renames and possibly restarting some software.

Good Luck,

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill