Read determined value of .INF file

Hi there,

So I got this .INF file, example:

// Some text
// Another text
Version=1.0

And I'm trying to get only the value 1.0 in my script.

I tried:

IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\myapp\version.inf", "", "version", "NULL")

I guess it didn't work because it doesn't have sections like an .INI .

I'm also trying FileSetPos but no luck with it. :(

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by LuisMartins

The thing is, the .INF file may be updated and I'd rather not have to edit it everytime to add a Section.

And IniRead would be perfect, because it has this thing that when the value isn't found is assumes the defined default value, in my case "NULL".

The closer I can get is with FileReadLine, which as the name says, gives me the line I want, but I still need just the value after Version=

Edited by LuisMartins

Unfortunately your INF file isn't in the correct format to be used with the INI* functions. In fact, it doesn't appear to be in the correct format for an INF file either, seeing as how the INF and INI formats are the same. You're going to have to do some parsing of the file, perhaps with FileRead and StringRegExp to determine if the version line is in there or not.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

LuisMartins,

Here is a technique that you can build on (this is one of many ways to do this):

#include <array.au3>

; create a test file to simulate your .INF file

local $str = '// Some text' & @crlf & '// Another text' & @crlf & 'Version=1.0' & @crlf & 'more data of any kind'
local $hfl = fileopen(@scriptdir & 'tmp010.inf',2)
filewrite($hfl,$str)
fileclose($hfl)
$hfl = 0

; read inf file to string

local $str = fileread(@scriptdir & 'tmp010.inf')

; search for your string

local $srch = stringregexp($str,'(?i)version.*',3)
if @error = 1 then
    ConsoleWrite('String not found' & @LF)
    Exit
endif

; display results

_arraydisplay($srch)

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Thank you, both answers were useful.

But still, my bad, forgot to mention, there's still one problem.

I have another string before "Version=1.0", which is "firstversion=0.1", example:

// Some text
// Another text
firstversion=0.1
Version=1.0

So, assuming that its value may also get updated, I don't think I can really rely on StringRegExp, I guess.

Edited by LuisMartins

Maybe you should post a sanitized version of the complete file, this way we know what we're dealing with, and not having you move the goal posts whenever something is posted.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

// NetworkVersion is the version in the wire protcol between client<->server,
// its not used for matchmaking, PatchVersion is used for that to ensure
// we don't get cross connecting to different releases.  Only bump this if
// you know an incompatible change has happened to the network protocol in
// game and old demos will not work.
NetworkVersion=2.0.4.2
PatchVersion=2.1.1.8
ProductName=left4dead2
appID=550

My goal is to get the number 2.1.1.8 and only that number. Considering the versions may change with updates I want my application to always stay up to date whenever they change without having to do it manually myself.

This is why you should have posted what you're actually looking at instead of being so obtuse in the first posts. This is only slightly like what you were asking for in the first place. The word version appears in that file several times. If we had known that before we could have come up with a much better answer for you earlier.

local $str = fileread(@scriptdir & 'test.ini'); change this to your file name 

; search for your string

local $srch = stringregexp($str,'(?i)PatchVersion=(.*)',3)
if @error = 1 then
    ConsoleWrite('String not found' & @LF)
    Exit
endif
_ArrayDisplay($srch)

It returns an array, you'd need to write it like this.

If $srch[0] = "2.1.1.7" Then
     MsgBox("", "Error", "Your version is not up-to-date.")
EndIf

Just out of curiosity is the version number always a single digit e.g. d.d.d.d?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

may want to also add a boundry:

#include <Array.au3>
$str = "NetworkVersion=2.0.4.2" & @CRLF & _
"PatchVersion=2.1.1.8" & @CRLF & _
"LastPatchVersion=2.1.1.7" & @CRLF & _
"ProductName=left4dead2" & @CRLF & _
"appID=550"

local $srch = stringregexp($str,'(?i)bPatchVersion=(.*)',3)
_ArrayDisplay($srch) ; returns one result
local $srch = stringregexp($str,'(?i)PatchVersion=(.*)',3)
_ArrayDisplay($srch) ; returns two results
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Can't hurt, although not necessary if they don't use "PatchVersion=" anywhere else in the file. But better to play it safe.

Just out of curiosity is the version number always a single digit e.g. d.d.d.d?

Yes, it is.

#include $str = "NetworkVersion=2.0.4.2" & @CRLF & _ "PatchVersion=2.1.1.8" & @CRLF & _ "LastPatchVersion=2.1.1.7" & @CRLF & _ "ProductName=left4dead2" & @CRLF & _ "appID=550" local $srch = stringregexp($str,'(?i)\bPatchVersion=(.*)',3) _ArrayDisplay($srch) ; returns one result local $srch = stringregexp($str,'(?i)PatchVersion=(.*)',3) _ArrayDisplay($srch) ; returns two results
Well like I said, those versions will much probably get updated and therefere I can't rely setting them manually... :(

$MyFile = "./~tempfile.inf"
;
; generate testfile
;
FileWrite($MyFile, _
"// NetworkVersion is the version in the wire protcol between client<->server," & @CRLF & _
"// its not used for matchmaking, PatchVersion is used for that to ensure" & @CRLF & _
"// we don't get cross connecting to different releases.  Only bump this if" & @CRLF & _
"// you know an incompatible change has happened to the network protocol in" & @CRLF & _
"// game and old demos will not work." & @CRLF & _
"NetworkVersion=2.0.4.2" & @CRLF & _
"PatchVersion=2.1.1.8" & @CRLF & _
"LastPatchVersion=2.1.1.7" & @CRLF & _
"ProductName=left4dead2" & @CRLF & _
"appID=550")
;
; here the working code
;
IniWriteSection($MyFile&".tmp.ini","MyData",FileRead($MyFile))
$result=IniRead($MyFile&".tmp.ini","MyData","PatchVersion","0.0.0.0")
FileDelete($MyFile&".tmp.ini")
MsgBox(262144," ",$result,0)
;
; cleanup testfile
;
FileDelete($MyFile)
;

Edited by Exit

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()