CompInfo UDF crash on some systems

Kingpix

Hello everyone, it's my first topic on these awesome forums.

I'm writing an installer for a program of mine that at the beginning checks the graphics card model.

To do so I'm using the CompInfo UDF.

While in my system it works just great, during the betatesting some other user had problems (the crash message says "The requested action with this object has failed").

This is the code that causes the crash:

$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $cI_Compname & "\root\CIMV2")

If IsObj($objWMIService) = 1 Then
$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)

If IsObj($colItems) Then
For $objItem In $colItems
ReDim $aVideoInfo[UBound($aVideoInfo) + 1][59]

I already tweaked the CompInfo UDF to solve a crash for the users that didn't have the WMI service running so the problem is another. During many test I concluded that the error comes from this specific line:

$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)

The users that had problem were running vary O.S. (Win XP, Win7 and even Win8). One of them told me that he was running a system with two separate videocards (Intel integrated and nVidia dedicated chip). Could that cause the problem?

Add a COM error handler to your script. It will tell you the error code and error message. This will make debugging a lot easier.

Example code can be founf in the help file for ObjEvent.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki