Quick spec questions & app silent crash

I compiled a script that sends a file to a richedit the file content but the app simply exites silently when my file was just a few MB large.

So I have a few questions about the things invoved that I used

• FileOpen Any mem/disk size limit?
  • FileRead Same, Size limit? how about the variable that holds it? 2GB?
  • local $txt =FileRead($hfile) - local $txt: Size limit for 32bit? Size limit for 64 bit?
  • global $gtxt =FileRead($hfile) - local $gtxt: Size limit for 32bit? Size limit for 64 bit?
  • richedit Size limit to add, to set, to insert, to whole content?
  • local $arr[N] - N limit? arr[] limit (mem)?
  • global $garr[N] - N limit? garr[] limit (mem)?
  • Can Compile Script to exe compile to 64 bits? even if the compiler is 32 bits?
To fix the crash I read the file line by line. but I cannot keep the whole file in memory, $filebuff += ReadLine()... crash at about 1.5 megs

Thanks!

#include <GuiRichEdit.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Main()

Func Main()
Local $hGui, $hRichEdit, $iMsg
$hGui = GUICreate("Example (" & StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4) & ")", 320, 350, -1, -1)
$hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, "This is a test.", 10, 10, 300, 220, _
BitOR($ES_MULTILINE, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL))
_GUICtrlRichEdit_AppendText($hRichEdit, FileRead("test.txt"))
GUISetState()

While True
$iMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Select
Case $iMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
_GUICtrlRichEdit_Destroy($hRichEdit) ; needed unless script crashes
;~ GUIDelete() ; is OK too
Exit
EndSelect
WEnd
EndFunc ;==>Main

Change FileRead("test.txt"): "test.txt" to your file name

Not sure if this is exactly what you want

Edited by GordonFreeman

Thanks for the code. which I have. My query is about memory limits of AutoIT for

FileRead("test.txt")

as per the help

A file can be read as binary (byte) data by using FileOpen with the binary flag - in this case count is in bytes rather than characters. A count value that is too large can lead to AutoIt stopping with a memory allocation failure.

I want to know if I'm going to cap my file reading, Which I did, but what size is the size cap size???

How much can I allocate if I decided to hold records in memory? couljd I hold 100000 text messages in an array? 100000*256 bytes. In an array? Or even in the rtf richedit box? what are the limits? does anyone know?

Each instances ov the program running would need 24MB allocated in a records[100000] array..

• Moderators

icuurd12b42,

Look in the Help file <AutoIt - FAQ> for the technical limits. :)

But if you are really looking for 24MB arrays, I suggest you go and look at some form of database as trying to manipulate any data array that size is never going to work. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

25 Megs is still perfectly reasonable in some cases. I was just wondering if AutiIT had a limit of it's own for arrays. I'll check the faq.

I changed my method to be more streamlined. I am paging by recordset right now, I would rather not to have to page the rtf document data (the record layout).

• 2 weeks later...

My final implementation loads the record sets in a global string one (256byte) record at a time, bypassing the fileread maximum. I also have 8 arrays of 1000 in size to keep the records in memory (name, text, date, etc). Then I pass the string to the Rich Edit, making sure to re-adjust the rich edit data size maximum (default 32k) to match the final string size. I did limit the number of records to 1000 items (* 256 for size), as showing more than that in the rich edit is really not needed (too large a document), the rich edit formats the records in a click-able list fashion.

I can safely load 1000 records of 256 byte in arrays, stuff the array in a formatted rtf buffer and send it to the rich edit. total memory size ~1000k (arrays + buffer+copy of buffer in rich edit)