is there a more appropriate forum for beginners?

I've been using autoit for a long time and I've 'played' with scripting and basic since the commodore 64. I've managed to create for myself some VERY useful (can't live without) scripts. I also have so many questions everytime I write a script that it takes me hours, if not days... the helpfile has almost everything I need. when I can't find it with the help and examples I come here and search and then I web search. the absolute last resort is I create a thread and ask. I just did that a few days ago...

But, I'm wondering is there a more appropriate forum somewhere on the web for beginners / people like me? I sometimes completely fail on conception, so i give up instead lol

Just wondering! and thanks for taking a look :)

If you don't mind reading a children's programming book, this is the book that hooked me on programming:

Elementary Basic, as chronicled by John H. Watson (1982)

I found it in a bargain bin for like $2. Since you've already sone some programming it may not work for you. But I had no idea what the purpose of programming really was. Examples like "guess the secret number" didn't do it for me. But in this book the author encounters a problem, describes the approach to a solution(psuedocode) and then implements the solution in Basic. IIRC it's the old gwBasic with the line numbers. But the psuedocode was what really made me grok the concept.

Be warned though. I looked at this book after I had been programming for a few years and it made my skin crawl. It's probably only for someone who has never written a script. But if you can find it in a bargain bin or take it out of the library for free it may be worth a look.

( Edit: Not the question you asked but the answer I gave. Surfng I suppose is an appropriate metaphore. )

Edited by MilesAhead

There are a few tutorials in the wiki, but some are for more advanced users. There is this although I believe that some of the examples need updating. There are many beginners and advanced users use this forum, so it's not specific for any particular level or standard. There is no such thing as a question which is too basic. You'll learn a lot more by asking than by not asking. I think reading posts in the example scripts forum is very useful for furthering your understanding. The more examples you read, the easier it will become to follow the code.

Edited by czardas

• Moderators

you should develop your self to become like me,, now i am expert in autoit... you must try every day

HAAAAAAAAAAhahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahah!!!!! :lol:

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Why not create a wiki page? Or post in the examples section? I'm sure your snippets aren't bad and you might learn something in the process of doing so.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Geez guinness i was kidding :)

However johns idea about a begineer area might go well with the other topic in chat atm

Edited by Chimaera

I can't see a real need for a beginners area, it will just end up those with limited knowledge helping those with limited knowlege.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Np i see your point

I will answer you other question about the array later when i get time

Maybe the wiki might be better to have the beginners stuff

I can't see a real need for a beginners area, it will just end up those with limited knowledge helping those with limited knowlege.

I doubt noobies to the forum would look for a wiki page, but 99% sure they would click on a beginners forum area.

I also think noobs helping noobs is not a bad idea (if thats what you think would happen), in my opinion it breeds learning, a noob looking to try and help another can only mean that noob one at least, is learning.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I also think noobs helping noobs is not a bad idea (if thats what you think would happen), in my opinion it breeds learning, a noob looking to try and help another can only mean that noob one at least, is learning.

Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean new users to the language shouldn't help new users, I encourage that level of helping. My point was aimed at why the need to create a separate & ostracised section, what is wrong with general help & support now?

UDF List:

I evolved a bit, and think this forum helped me much, i started to learn this language, not long ago, and i was a noob, haven-t felt no need for a separate, more-basic section back then, still dont think we need one now. But who cares what i think? lol

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean new users to the language shouldn't help new users, I encourage that level of helping. My point was aimed at why the need to create a separate & ostracised section, what is wrong with general help & support now?

Nothing wrong with GHS, but if a noob looks in a noob section they are more likely to see the other noob questions because that is all that's in there.

I don't feel that strongly that I'd defend the idea, it's just a thought.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I evolved a bit, and think this forum helped me much, i started to learn this language, not long ago, and i was a noob, haven-t felt no need for a separate, more-basic section back then, still dont think we need one now. But who cares what i think? lol

I know I do. Sometimes I (and others) forget what it was like to be a beginner, so the more users that provide constructive criticism (important ) the better the Forum, Help file and Wiki will become, thus eliminating the same questions being asked time and time again.

UDF List:

I'm just trying to learn a bit more here. in the several years I've been using autoit I've learned pretty much nothing but what I came with... I understand the more experienced users have better things to do. so i look for other resources.

I have managed to do a bit on my own, and what I've done I can't live without. why wouldn't I help others? even if my level of understanding isn't as good, it's still accomplishing what I need.

Edited by 00pontiac

I would say the best place for a complete noob area would be the helpfile

At best it will be another folder with some really simple concepts

how to layout your code

how to make funcs for your code

how to title your variables so they make sense

etc etc

Im sure there's a ton of stuff that could be done but just some small hand holding stuff step by step with full explanations might do the trick?

if its in the helpfile at least everyone will have it

if its in the helpfile at least everyone will have it

Though who is willing to put in the effort?

UDF List: