Sign in to follow this  
Clark

Opening a file of a particular type

Hi there

I feel confident that this is possible, and I have searched, but am unable to find how to do this.

Brief:

My database contains blobs which represent attachments that users have attached. I have a button "open attachment". This button should then, well, open the attachment using whatever programme is defined in the registry as the default programme to open the attachment.

WHere I have got to:

I can attach the blob. I can then write it out to a temporary directory using the original file name. I can get the file type from the registry using the extension of the filename I write out.

What I can't figure out how to do:

Lookup the registry and get the associated programme based on the filetype to launch the file.

All help appreciated

Clark

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You're welcome, it's a lot easier when you know what to look for it makes me look a lot smarter than I actually am. :-)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rdaneelol
      I have a strange behavior in an Autoit program.  
      The program works perfectly in the original environment I created the program for - for Windows 7 and Office  2010.
      My workplace is migrating to Windows 10 with Office 2016.  When I run this program in that new environment,  the code actually executes without any errors, however, the excel process which was opened to read a spreadsheet/workbook does not close while the program is running.  If you exit the program, the excel process ends at that point...
      I could ignore this behavior - one little excel process hanging out there is not going to kill anything, however - it just bugs me !
      While troubleshooting the issue, I placed a number of error checks after the excel close - and the close actually reports that it is successful. 
      I tried a few varieties of closing the excel process, and none of the methods tried seemed to actually work as well at the one in my code - the only downside being that it has to wait until the program finishes to actually close.
      Any ideas on why an excel close would hang until program exit ?

Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False, False, False, False, True) If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF", "Error creating the Excel application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended) Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sUserRoleMenuXLS, False, true ) If @error Then     MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF", "Error opening workbook '" & $sUserRoleMenuXLS & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)     _Excel_Close($oExcel, False, False)  Exit EndIf ;  this section will find the user id in the first 3 columns of the user/menu spreadsheet, and if it finds it - returns the value stored in the cell 2 locations to the right... With $oExcel.ActiveSheet.Range("A:C").Find (@UserName)     $Match = .Find (@UserName)     If (Not IsObj($Match)) or (stringlen($Match.Offset(0, 2).value) = 0)    Then         MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'UIPLauncher Error', 'No Menu assigned for user - Contact Support.') ; Display a warning if the script isn't compiled or the file doesn't exist.         ;_Excel_BookClose($oWorkbook, False)         _Excel_Close($oExcel, false, false)         Exit     Else         Local  $cResult = $Match.Offset(0, 2).value     EndIf EndWith $oWorkbook.Saved = True _Excel_BookClose($oWorkbook, False) _Excel_Close($oExcel, false, false) ;close does not seem to work on windows 10 and office 2016  
    • By VinMe
      $aTdslist = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook1, Default, "B1:B" & $LastRow) $aTDSLOC = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook1, Default, "H1:H" & $LastRow) MsgBox(0, "TAKSY OUTPUT LAST ROW", $LastRow) _ArrayTrim($aTDSLOC, 1, 1) _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook1, $oWorkbook1.ActiveSheet, $aTDSLOC, "H2") $oWorkbook1.Sheets("DS_List").Activate $mLastRow = $oWorkbook1.ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count $aMdslist = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook1, Default, "B1:B" & $mLastRow) MsgBox(0, "MASTER OUTPUT LAST ROW", $mLastRow) _Excel_RangeReplace($oWorkbook1, Default, "F2:F" & $mLastRow, "N/A", "n/a") ;check the requiremetn $aMLOC = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook1, Default, "F1:F" & $mLastRow) ;LOC NUMBER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED WITH.. _ArrayDisplay($aTDSLOC) _ArrayDisplay($aMLOC) _ArrayDisplay($aMdslist) ;DATA COMPARISION BETWEEN TAKSY LIST WITH LOC FROM SAP TO MASTER LIST WITH LOC. $oWorkbook1.Sheets("OUTPUT").Activate For $i = 1 To $LastRow - 1 For $j = 1 To $mLastRow - 1 If $aTdslist[$i] == $aMdslist[$j] And $aTDSLOC[$i] <> $aMLOC[$j] Then $oExcel.ActiveSheet.Range("H" & $i + 2).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 EndIf If $aTdslist[$i] == $aMdslist[$j] And $aMLOC[$j] == "n/a" And _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook1, Default, "I" & ($i + 2)) == "NO KIT" Then $oExcel.ActiveSheet.Range("H" & $i + 2).Interior.ColorIndex = 2 _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook1, $oWorkbook1.ActiveSheet, "*", "H" & ($i + 2)) EndIf Next Next MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Status", "Loc extraction, comparision and consolidation is Done", 2) DEAR TEAM, I am facing issue w.r.t subscript errors kindly help me in solving...
      456.xlsx
    • By matwachich
      AutoIt3 Lua Wrapper
      This is an AutoIt3 wrapper for the Lua scripting language. Consider it beta software, but since I will be using it in commercial product, expect it to evolve.
      It has been developped with Lua 5.3.5. Updates will come for new Lua version.
      Everything works just fine, except one (big) limitation: Anything that throws a Lua error (using C setjmp/longjmp functionality) will crash your AutoIt program. That means that it is impossible to use throw errors from an AutoIt function called by Lua (luaL_check*, lua_error...).
      It is hosted in Github: https://github.com/matwachich/au3lua
      Simple example
      #include <lua.au3> #include <lua_dlls.au3> ; Initialize library _lua_Startup(_lua_ExtractDll()) OnAutoItExitRegister(_lua_Shutdown) ; create new execution state $pState = _luaL_newState() _luaopen_base($pState) ; needed for the lua's print function $iRet = _luaL_doString($pState, 'print("Hello, world!")') If $iRet <> $LUA_OK Then ; read the error description on top of the stack ConsoleWrite("!> Error: " & _lua_toString($pState, -1) & @CRLF) Exit EndIf ; close the state to free memory (you MUST call this function, this is not AutoIt's automatic memory management, it's a C library) _lua_close($pState)
    • By VinMe
      $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookAttach($sWorkbook) $oWorkbook.sheets("Sheet1").activate Local $sMSN = InputBox("MSN NO", "Enter MSN in XX FORMAT", "") _Excel_FilterSet($oWorkbook, $oWorkbook.activesheet, "AF1", 32, $sMSN) can anyone help me here, excel filer is not working with the above code.. attached excel
      input: 12
      Thank you in advance!!
      to check.xlsx
    • By MakzNovice
      Hello Experts,
      I have Zero experience with Autoit + Adobe Acrobat, and I really in need to get this working as PoC.
      I am trying to automate some manual actions below are the steps I would like to do.
      INPUT to script : 
      1. PDF file to open
      2. String that I would like to add as \\Server\Directory name
      Steps : 
      1. Open the file in Adobe Acrobat Pro
      2. Browse to View > Tools > Send For Review > Open (see image 1)
      3. On the launched tool bar click on "Send for Shared Connecting" (see image 2)
      4. Next select option "Automatically Collect comments on my..." in dropdown and click 'Next' (see image 3)
      5. Select radiobutton "Network folder" and paste the input "\\Server\Directory" in text field and click 'Next' (see image 4)
      Experts, I would really appreciate a quick script which I can run and get rolling.
      Please note, I would not likwe to rely on MouseClick and/or cordinates match approach.
      PLEASE SUPPORT!!!!
      Makz
      **********************************************************************************************************
      Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4