PixelSearch Accuracy

Hello everyone.

I've been using the pixelsearch function like this:

Do
      PixelSearch(StartX,StartY,EndX,EndY,Color)
Until @error = False

It's only searching for one pixel at a time and I have aero disabled. I'm not having any problems, it's just that sometimes it takes longer for AutoIt to react to success than other times.

For instance, if I time how long it takes for PixelSearch to complete it sometimes varies from 25ms - 50ms. Is there a better way to make a pixelsearch loop or a better function to achieve accuracy? I'm looking for accuracy from about 25ms - 30ms (+/- 5ms. I don't really care how long it takes. It could take 500ms, and I wouldn't care, but I need it to be accurate. I don't care about speed.)

Thanks!

If your talking about pixelsearch i dont know any other functions that do what pixelsearch does besides that...

The ms is not accurated and its because of your cpu performance. And i dont think this could change via autoit.

You could use pixelgetcolor and test it if its the color you want until it finds it. But this will take more cpu usage and i dont think thats much more accurated...

Edit: And the more your script run the slower its' performance becomes...

Edited by ileandros

I feel nothing.It feels great.

You're talking about not caring about speed, then you say you want 25 - 30 ms.

Please make your mind up.

I just want accuracy. I don't care about speed.

If your talking about pixelsearch i dont know any other functions that do what pixelsearch does besides that...

The ms is not accurated and its because of your cpu performance. And i dont think this could change via autoit.

You could use pixelgetcolor and test it if its the color you want until it finds it. But this will take more cpu usage and i dont think thats much more accurated...

Edit: And the more your script run the slower its' performance becomes...

Thanks, but I tried using a PixelGetColor loop and it's actually worst than the normal pixelsearch. Thanks for the advice on the performance decreasing if I have it running long, though.

Also, I have a Quad Core Processor with 6gb RAM and dedicated ATI 512mb Graphics.

Define what you mean by accuracy because that explanation to JohnOne's question is not very helpful.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Define what you mean by accuracy because that explanation to JohnOne's question is not very helpful.

By accuracy I mean that I want it to take the same amount of time each time to find the pixel. Let's say I use PixelSearch 5 times:

Original PixelSearch Results:

25ms

37ms

28ms

17ms

40ms

What I'm trying to achieve results:

25ms

27ms

26ms

24ms

25ms

I just used 25 as a default, It can be any number, but it needs to be +/- 5ms of that number.

Possible?

• Moderators

OnlyForMe,

I doubt you will ever get that level of consistency. Remember that Autoit is an interpreted language so each time you call PixelSearch the machine will take a finite (and different) time to parse and execute the command depending on what else is going on at the time. And we all know that the Pixel* commnads are not the fastest in the library. ;)

Why do you feel you need the command to have such a level of timing consistency? If you could accept say 50ms then just wrap the function call in a TimerInit/Diff wrapper which will only return after that fixed delay regardless of the actual time taken by PixelSearch. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

The time variation is mostly down to where the pixel is found. If the first pixel pixelsearch() checks is one that matches your criteria then it will be very quick, if it is the last one it will be considerable slower.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook