Platform Request: Microsoft Surface RT

Flashman

I'd like to see the AutoIt install package re-compiled for ARM to support the Surface RT. Already developers have ported the editor and the old open-source version of AutoIt, so it is feasible. Such a package would let me use my Surface RT as a true portable development environment. Both to develop Surface utilities, but also to develop source that later on I will recompile on regular Windows.

The only desktop apps it supports are those that come preloaded. The rest are Modern UI style apps loaded from the app store.

No it really is the full desktop. Just jailbrake and you can run whatever you want. Getting VS2012 to target ARM is easy, and .NET 4.5 apps runs as is. Follow my link above to the XDA-developers forum and read all about it.

And yes, the old AutoIt source runs just fine when compiled for ARM, just like Flashman said.

Posted Image

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

I consider AutoIt to be about much more than automation, but sure I see your point. Anything specific you want me to test? I happen to have a Surface right beside me. Remember that it is 3.1.0.15 we are running.

GUI automation pretty much have to work 100% or applications wouldn't work to start with, as they use the same messages internally as AutoIt would send them.

Just as an example, I just ran the notepad2.au3 example with no problems (after replacing the CLASS syntax with the window title, easiest).

Posted Image