Exit Codes And Windows 98

Hi all,

Unfortunatly, i got no answers, so I post it again

Despite the description of the exit codes in the helpfile, the errorlevel read under windows 98 is always 0 (probably means script ran OK!) How to get the errorlevel read as 1 if the exitcode of the script = 1. Works under windows 2000 by reading %errorlevel% in batch file. Under Windows 98 %errorlevel% gives a syntax error, and errorlevel always returns 0.

If this is by design (or M$ restriction), helpfile should state that exit-codes cannot be used under windows 98

thx

Peter

Edited by PJThys

• 3 weeks later...

Trying again

As I understand (JON can confirm) the errorlevel from .bat cannot be returned by Win9x.

When I did a global nonreg under all OS I found out this problem and There is no solution to solve it by return %errorlevel%.

Usually I write a file with different name so I can check it on the return.

I hope that help.

On Win98 %Errorlevel% has meaning within batch files, otherwise it is ignored. It is not passed out of Command.com . Sorry.

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

i hope this helps. the syntax for command.com does return the error code for dos programs...

Syntax:

COMMAND [path] [device] [/Switches] 

path
Directory (and drive) containing command.com. This must be specified unless command.com is in the root directory.
device
Device to use for command input and output. By default this is the keyboard and monitor.
/P
Makes the new Command Interpreter permanent.
/E:x
Sets the initial environment size [bytes]. x should be set between 256 and 32,768 bytes. The default is: 256 bytes.
/L:y
Internal buffers length [bytes]. y should be set between 128 and 1,024 bytes. The default is: ? This switch is only accepted if the Command Interpreter is permanent - ie. the /P switch must also be set.
/U:z
Input buffer length [bytes]. z should be set between 128 and 255 bytes. The default is: ? This switch is only accepted if the Command Interpreter is permanent - ie. the /P switch must also be set.
/MSG
Stores all error messages in memory. This switch is only accepted if the Command Interpreter is permanent - ie. the /P switch must also be set.
/LOW
Forces COMMAND to keep in low memory
/Y
Steps through the batch program specified by /C or /K
/C command
Executes command and exits. This must be the last switch on the command line.
/K command
Executes command and continues running. This must be the last switch on the command line.
/F
Forces a "Fail" response to the Command Interpreter's error handling routine query: "Abort, Retry, Fail?".
/Z
Causes the ERRORLEVEL number returned by external DOS commands to be appended to the command's output.