Constant keyword, does it have use when I create code for myself?

In my pursuit of applying 'good coding practice' to AutoIt, I draw your attention to the Const keyword and ask whether I should I use it in my own code when I already have an understanding of what the code is doing? Or should I use it for the purposes of debugging as Au3Check will flag a syntax error?

#include <Constants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $sMessage = 'Some message that is assigned to a variable which won''t be changed i.e. constant variable.' ; This won't change
    Local $iVar = 0 ; This variable in local scope will be changed.

For $i = 1 To 10
        $iVar += 1
    Next
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '$iVar=' & $iVar, $sMessage)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

OR should I use it regardless?

#include <Constants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local Const $sMessage = 'Some message that is assigned to a variable which won''t be changed i.e. constant variable.' ; This won't change

For $i = 1 To 10
        $iVar += 1
    Next
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Invoke an Au3Check error.

#include <Constants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local Const $sMessage = 'Some message that is assigned to a variable which won''t be changed i.e. constant variable.' ; This won't change

; Creates an error as previously being declared as a Const.
    $sMessage = ''

For $i = 1 To 10
        $iVar += 1
    Next
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I use the Const keyword for handle and control ID variables so I don't accidentally include something that changes it later. I started doing this when I used the same variable name for a label I was using as a timer, and didn't use good naming techniques and then I had the same name in an include file that changed it. Now that I name my variables differently, I don't ever see this issue, but still use the Const keyword for the handles because they should never be changed, and this assures it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I should have mentioned I use AutoIt-hungarian-like notation for variable naming. Yes, I made that name up!

It must have been a Global you were using BrewManNH?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• Moderators

guinness,

I have just looked through some of my scripts and, rather to my surprise, I find I use it very sparingly: :)

; IDs of icons stared within the compiled exe
Global Const $iPlay_Icon = -5, $iPause_Icon = -13, $iIndex_Icon = -21, $iFile_Icon = -22, $iList_Icon = -23

; Basic colours to ensure consistency in the script
Global Const $iRed = 0xFF8888, $iAmber = 0xFFCC88, $iYellow = 0xFFFF88, $iBlue = 0x80FFFF
Global Const $iGrey = 0xCCCCCC, $iGreen = 0xCCFFCC, $iWhite = 0xFFFFFF, $iBlack = 0

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

It was a handle to a control, and it was a global because it was meant to be a global.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

It was a handle to a control, and it was a global because it was meant to be a global.

I'm not judging -_0 If I need to manipulate Global variables in custom UDFs I create wrapper functions to get/set them. An idea I adopted from Valik.

Note: Can't find the post between him and MvGulik about this.Found it >>

I have just looked through some of my scripts and, rather to my surprise, I find I use it very sparingly: :)

I will spend the rest of my free time today creating a parser to check whether or not a variable should be a constant. Therefore I will take a break from the Forum today! Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I eventually created a very very rough parser to determine if a variable was to be declared as Const or not.

UDF List:

I'm always open to ideas and suggestions kylomas.

UDF List:

Well i guess it doesn't really matter that much in interpreted/dynamic languages, besides compile-time checking of assignment to constant variables (does autoitcheck do this?). It's useful to avoid name clashing and give symbolic meaning / clues to what a variable does. Also, of course, it should be used on constants, which autoit, to my understanding, is able to optimize.

In compiled languages, if you explicitly state the constness of variables (and the compiler can guarantee this), the compiler is able to do a lot of optimizations on code, registers, memory layouts, copying (specifically able to do reference passing instead of copying parameters) etc.

I do think it's an excellent coding practice in dynamic languages though, to make everything you don't intend to change immutable, both because of symbolism but also transitions to/from other languages.

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

As I've understood from trancexx, AutoIt just marks in the variable table whether or not the variable is a constant, no optimisation (though I could be wrong not being a Dev and all.) Au3Check will throw errors if you assign a variable with the Const keyword, thus less likely to have issue(s) as BrewManNH did.

I agree with your last statement.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I would imagine that using Const is useful when working alongside other coders or if someone else decides to update or modify your code. This way they will be less likely to make a mistake. I would always use Const to declare a mathematical constant, or any variable used as some kind of standardized unit calibration or ratio. Pi would fall into this category.

Regarding other uses, I'm not really sure if you can give a clear set of rules, since it can be applied in so many different situations. I'm also not sure about handles, since I don't know if Windows will reassign the same handle to another control under certain circumstances. Then again. perhaps that's just me being paranoid.

I don't think the keyword should be used willy nilly. Of course it makes sense to use it for things like Windows control styles (already defined as constants) etc...

Edited by czardas

I don't think you have to worry about that.

UDF List:

I don't think you have to worry about that.

Are you refering to control handles free to be reassigned after you destroy the original controls? I thought Windows might do something like that. If I destroy a control and then recreate it, it doesn't always get the same handle, if I remember correctly from past experience.

Edited by czardas

Are you refering to control handles free to be reassigned after you destroy the original controls? I thought Windows might do something like that. If I destroy a control and then recreate it, it doesn't get the same handle, if I remember correctly from past experience.

OK, now I get it. Then you would of course declare wit the same variable which Au3Check would throw an error if assigned with the Const keyword. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

For what it is worth, I've often made fair use of the Enum keyword as well as Const. That you use/need auto_incrementing successive values or forced ones, I find an Enum group cleaner than a series of separate Const as it more clearly shows the common character between identificators listed. Yet the distinction is essentially cosmetic (for now).

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Enum with arrays is something I have been using for about 6 months now and even though it adds nothing in terms of enhancement, it does help with readability and not having to worry about modifying index values.

UDF List:

Yeah, typical use.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

You know when you 'hack' something together because you need it right away, that's exactly what I did the other day with my 'is it a constant variable' script. So today I will improve on this and may post to the Forum, depending on how well structured it is.

UDF List: