Amending the FAQ in the help file.

The brilliant thing about the help file is it's actually a community project, albeit a couple of MVPs have access to the editing the files. Besides this, user input is invaluable because the more we tailor the help file the less people will be asking everyday common questions.

So this is why I've decided to tackle the FAQ, but instead of adding questions I think are common, I thought I would ask you, what questions should be added? What questions do you see popping up on a regular basis? Have you asked a common question in the past and felt it would have been beneficial in the help file?

Please structure your post as the following:

[Question]: Required question.

[Answer]: Required answer.

[Optional Example]: Optional, but might be useful.

Note: I was undecided whether to post this in Chat or here, but felt this would gain more attention if posted here.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

OK, I will make a plan to remove the v2 data. About the wiki entry, what about those who use the help file and aren't online?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Q: How do I do "X"

A: Read the help file

Q: But now I want to do "Y" too, how do I do that?

A: Read the help file, and search the forums because it's been answered 1000 times already.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

After help files examples there could be some links to alternative solutions or some links which would point people to some AutoIT members examples(either at their signature or at some older posts with similar questions)

Edited by ileandros

I feel nothing.It feels great.

• Moderators

After help files examples there could be some links to alternative solutions or some links which would point people to some AutoIT members examples(either at their signature or at some older posts with similar questions)

Aren't you then encouraging necroing old posts, or worse yet - PM's to folks because "the help file says you're the guy to talk to"??

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

JohnOne, you're on the right track to what I'm looking for.

UDF List:

Q: How do I do "X"

A: Read the help file

Q: But now I want to do "Y" too, how do I do that?

A: Read the help file, and search the forums because it's been answered 1000 times already.

I take it this is a joke?

UDF List:

Only partly.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

In a more serious note:

Old Wiki FAQ #18 = Why isn't my thread getting any replies?

I'd have a link to the site that is in my signature "How to ask questions the right way". It's reproduced in 19 different languages, and describes in aching details how to get more replies to a question on a user assisted tech support site.

I will give it a couple of days and if no one takes advantage of this wonderful opportunity, then I will ask a Mod to remove sticky status.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Aren't you then encouraging necroing old posts, or worse yet - PM's to folks because "the help file says you're the guy to talk to"??

I don't think the guy who will add the links will be so stupid doing such things. Anyway it was an idea.

I feel nothing.It feels great.

ileandros,

It won't happen, for a couple of reasons. Examples in the help file should exhibit good coding standards and usage of the language (deja vu!) this can't be guaranteed with some of the examples I have seen floating around the Forum. Secondly, the help file is about AutoIt, linking to members past and/or present will cause problems as mentioned already.

Back on topic...

[Question]: How to pass values to a function?

[Answer]: Create a function using the Func keyword with however many variables you require to pass to the function.

#include <Constants.au3>

; Pass two string values to the function 'Example'.
Example('Value_1', 'Value_2')

; Create a function with 2 paramters.
Func Example($vValue_1, $vValue_2)
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', $vValue_1 & @CRLF $vValue_2 & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

a contrived question.

[Question]: How to me to create a window?

[Answer]: Easily, use GUICreate (This is the link).

[Optional Example]: an example already exists in the function description.

[Question]: How can I see the results of the script?

[Answer]: You can use the MsgBox, ConsoleWrite, FileWrite (This is the links).

[Optional Example]: an example already exists in the function description.

[Question]: How difficult is it to study AutoIt3?

[Answer]: Pay attention to simplicity of syntax.

[Optional Example]:

Run('calc.exe') ; Starting the program
Beep(500, 1000) ; Plays back a beep
Shutdown(32) ; Standby

There is often questions around the forum to do with

Keypresses

Pixel finding

Not sure whether those need making easier as they are used for a similar thing to John's examp[le

Maybe

[Question]: How do i install a program silently

[Answer]: Using a Silent switch /Examples of silent switches /msi and exe

[Optional Example]:

$scriptDir = "My Test Folder" ; the folder where your file is stored (amend accordingly)
$fileName = "My file i want to install.exe" ; the filename to install (amend accordingly)
$switch = "/S" ; the switch, there maybe multiple switches for different things check the manufacturers website (amend accordingly)
RunWait('"' & $scriptDir & "\" & $fileName & '"' & " " & $switch)

Or something along those lines as i see that question asked a lot and i dont think people realise the programs themselves often have the stuff you need

Edited by Chimaera

Thank you AZJIO & Chimaera, exactly what I'm looking for. I could create a list of questions but I would have to think really really hard, so why not draw on the experiences of you guys and what you see daily.

[Question]: How do I connect variables or strings together?

[Answer]: Use the & operator.

$sString_1 & $sString_2

[Question]: How do I remove the Exit and Script Paused tray menu items?

[Answer]: Use option 3 in Opt('TrayMenuMode', 3).

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Moderators

I don't think the guy who will add the links will be so stupid doing such things. Anyway it was an idea.

You call it stupid, yet it was your suggestion ;)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!