SOLVED - winmove in windows 8 does not appear to be working

ahha

I hate asking basic questions, however I have spent 2 days and hours reading the forums and trying everything I can think of and I am stuck. This whittled down simple winmove script works in XP and Win7 but does not work in desktop windows 8. Any hints?

;#RequireAdmin ;<-- makes no difference
#AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y ; use this to debug in console window <--- LOOK
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", -2) ;nocase partial match okay

$pgm_title = "Run"
Send("#r") ;open run box
;wait for it
WinWait($pgm_title) ;partial match
If Not WinActive($pgm_title) Then WinActivate($pgm_title)
WinWaitActive($pgm_title)
;WinSetState($pgm_title, "", @SW_SHOW) ;make sure we can see it - makes no difference

MsgBox(0,"Debug","Ready to move.")
$hl = WinMove($pgm_title, "", 0, 0)
;WinSetState($pgm_title, "", @SW_ENABLE) ;enable it - makes no difference
;WinSetState($pgm_title, "", @SW_SHOW) ;make sure we can see it - makes no difference
MsgBox(0,"Debug","Should be at 0,0 and handle = " & $hl & " 0=not found")

$hl = WinMove($pgm_title, "", 100, 100, Default, Default, 100) ;move slowly keep current size
;WinSetState($pgm_title, "", @SW_ENABLE) ;enable it - makes no difference
MsgBox(0,"Debug","Should be at 100,100 and handle = " & $hl & " 0=not found")

MsgBox(0,"Debug","Move completed.")
Send("{ESC}") ;be polite and close run box
Exit

#cs
Works on XP Pro SP3 x32 (x86)
Works on Win 7 Pro x32 (x86)

Fails in Windows 8 Pro x64 desktop mode
#RequireAdmin ;<-- makes no difference
all versions seem to wait a time for the move but do NOT actually move the box
#ce
Edited by ahha

What is the title of the Run box in Windows 8? Can AutoIt see it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#include <Constants.au3>

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', WinExists('[TITLE:Run; CLASS:#32770]'))

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Does the MsgBox show a handle when you run it? You're not giving us a lot of information here, and trying to think of things to try with nothing to go on is tough. What does the Au3Info window show on Windows 8 for the run box (the Summary tab's contents)?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

MsgBox show a handle when you run it?- YES each time.

I tried to paste the image in. How is this done?

Here's the text summary:

>>>> Window <<<<

Title: Run

Class: #32770

Position: 8, 795

Size: 413, 213

Style: 0x94C801CC

ExStyle: 0x00050101

Handle: 0x0000000000060920

>>>> Control <<<<

Class:

Instance:

ClassnameNN:

Name:

Advanced (Class):

ID:

Text:

Position:

Size:

ControlClick Coords:

Style:

ExStyle:

Handle:

>>>> Mouse <<<<

Position: 303, 810

Cursor ID: 2

Color: 0x7FFA93

>>>> StatusBar <<<<

>>>> ToolsBar <<<<

>>>> Visible Text <<<<

Type the name of a program, folder, document, or Internet resource, and Windows will open it for you.

&Open:

OK

Cancel

&Browse...

>>>> Hidden Text <<<<

Run in separate &memory space

Edited by ahha

When I run the program the Run box opens up in lower left corner. It does NOT move to 0,0. And it does NOT move to 100,100. Debug trace shows all statements executed and Msgbox shows a handle each time.

Edited by ahha

Well, everything looks like it should work, but I don't have Win8 to try it on, and I'm guessing that the WinMove you want to do isn't actually on the Run box, so I'll leave it to someone with the OS to try and figure out what's going on.

Check the return value of WinExists.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Can you move other windows like notepad?

And something looks very odd about the handle of that window.

Is there such thing as a 64 bit handle?

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Administrators

The script works fine for me on Windows 8 x64 Pro. Both when run as a 32bit and 64bit script.

Edit: I ran it manually (right-click the script and select Run Script (x64))

Edited by Jon

Update

guinness - yes winexists shows a 1 at each MsgBox

JohnOne - tried Notepad and it moves around fine.

Decided to reboot computer even though nothing wrong.

Jon - tried it and it WORKS.

In fact it seems to work now without any problem using the Run box and Notepad. It appears a reboot cleared something.

I will reboot from now on before posting a question to verify it.

I apologize for apparently wasting everyone's time on a non-issue. Is there a way to mark my post as a non-issue post is wrong or deleting it? If so please do it.

Thanks for assisting.

So my message box example was telling you AutoIt could find the window.

UDF List:

guinness - yes the box existed even when it was not shown as moving. The reboot apparently did something because now it works just as it should. I'm puzzled by the Notepad working, the Run not working and now after a reboot both working fine. I'm going to install Windows 8 on another machine and will as a standard practice not only reboot the machine but test my code on both win 8 machines before any further posting.