Gui with slim border

Chimaera

Im messing with a gui like this

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>

$hGui = GUICreate( "", 465, 136, -1, -1, $WS_BORDER)
$hButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton( "", 21, 23, 70, 70)
$hButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton( "", 109, 23, 70, 70)
$hButton3 = GUICtrlCreateButton( "", 197, 23, 70, 70)
$hButton4 = GUICtrlCreateButton( "", 285, 23, 70, 70)
$hButton5 = GUICtrlCreateButton( "", 373, 23, 70, 70)
GUISetState()

While 1
$hMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $hMsg
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Exit
EndSwitch
WEnd

If you run this example it has a slim border all round the bottom and each side is it possible to get that border all round the gui?

I tried $DS_MODALFRAME / $WS_DLGFRAME / $WS_BORDER

But i need it to affect the top bar as well and optional have square edged corners as it will be a windows 8 only script

Any thoughts?

Edited by Chimaera

I also corrected the structure of your example, as this is how I would do it personally. 0_-

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('', 465, 135, Default, Default, BitOR($WS_THICKFRAME, $WS_POPUP))
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_NCHITTEST, 'WM_NCHITTEST')

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    WEnd

GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

; If you want the GUI to be moved as well.
Func WM_NCHITTEST($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam
    Return $HTCAPTION
EndFunc   ;==>WM_NCHITTEST
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

It was pretty much as i took it from FormBuilder m8 i hadn't really got started tweaking.

Im assuming by corrections you mean no -1 and use default?

Do you always make a gui in a function?

Just lately there seems to be different code popping up all over in threads which i know nothing about..

I get Autoit is evolving towards being a proper language but it feels sometimes like its moving away from the non programmers domain into serious geek stuff.

Thx anyway now i just got to work out how to colour the edges the same as the inner bit :)

None of the changes made will affect how the script works in AutoIt. You can continue coding in the same way as you normally do.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The answer is yes or I least make sure I avoid using Global variables if I can. I once didn't care about good coding standards in AutoIt because no one bothered to talk about it in the Forums/Wiki. Some people are against my methods and that's fine, I just want show people that good code can be written and that we aren't just a bunch of (I hate this term) newbs who know very little about coding.

Anyway, I will continue to post the way I do and hopefully it will teach someone or make people think differently about AutoIt. I know I've learnt a lot in the last 12 months of the dos and don'ts with peroper coding.

Thx anyway now i just got to work out how to colour the edges the same as the inner bit :)

You can't do that with what I presented above. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

None of the changes made will affect how the script works in AutoIt. You can continue coding in the same way as you normally do.

Well not completely true, but Chimaera can decide what to use and what not to use.

UDF List:

I think the thing that confuses me and prob some others is it filters in in dribs and drabs, i was reading the convo you were having earlier about default , thats how i knew about it.

If there was for e.g. latest change section Now you must use Default instead of -1 thread. << just an e.g.

We would know its something we need to change, as I see little mentions here and there I have no idea is it implemented ? or not ?, it could just be 2 members discussing an opinion.

There has been a number of things like that lately, BitOr etc was another one it seems mandatory to use a a Bit something these days and i have no idea whether its necessary as again it grew out of little convos here and there, and then all of sudden its here.

That how it appears to me. Prob because i dont understand the bigger picture who knows, i certainly dont understand any other languages

You can't do that with what I presented above.

Just read this line

Only Button, Label, Checkbox, Group, Radio, Edit, Input, List, Listview, ListviewItem, Treeview, TreeviewItem, Graphic, Progress and Combo controls can currently be colored.

Feck thats that idea out the window, i was trying to make a win 8 style smooth to the edges gui..

@guinness As to your coding teaching style m8, my stuff wouldn't be half as good now if it wasn't for your help :)

Edited by Chimaera

Just an FYI, in the built-in functions, Default and -1 have the same meaning, not so much so in the UDFs though, there if it says use -1then use -1 unless you look at the function and see that it will accept Default in its place.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Some of the bugs in the UDF functions came about because the authors used -1 or 0 as a default value (instead of using the Default keyword) when the function should be able to use those values as input, such as the bug in _FileWriteFromArray where you couldn't write the zeroth element of an array by itself, because the function needed a start element and an end element as options, and if you used 0 in the end element the function assumed you meant the whole array instead of the first element.

Other than that, some people don't like the look of using -1 to denote a default value, even when it's valid.

Just an FYI, in the built-in functions, Default and -1 have the same meaning, not so much so in the UDFs though, there if it says use -1then use -1 unless you look at the function and see that it will accept Default in its place.

This should be changed in the next version of AutoIt as I've gone through quite a few of the UDFs so they now accept Default keyword.

Chimaera,

By all means use -1, but personally I use Default if I want to use the default parameters of that function. It just so happens that the default parameter for the GUICreate left and top is -1, but if for example it was -123456789 as the default parameter, then you wouldn't need to remember that complex number as you would use the Default keyword. Understand? If not let me know.

It's not my nature to confuse people, I just want to get people interested in exploring AutoIt's uses further and people going out of their comfort zone.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Thx for the info

Im guessing Autoit as whole is still full of little inconsistences that trancexx and the others iron out over time.

I know what my code is like sometimes, it must be a nightmare handling autoit itself

@guinness no i get it, it makes sense to have an easily identifiable setting, makes it easier when people post as well id imagine, it just the way it sneaks into the lingo that confuses me..

_FileWriteFromArray

That was the first function that came to my mind when discussing about Default and -1.

UDF List:

I know what my code is like sometimes, it must be a nightmare handling autoit itself

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from perfect and that's the sole reason I'm posting in General Help and Support these days asking "Is this right or is this wrong, could it be better, what is the standard practice?" because the only language I have ever really got to grips with is AutoIt (+ some VBScript/Batch commands) so I don't have a coding background per say.

Edit: Re-worded.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I will commend you Chimaera on paying attention to what happens around here, you never know maybe one day it will come in quite handy.

UDF List:

I try and follow the broad view of AutoIt, i never comment much because most is way over my noodle. :idiot:

Anyway thx guys for a stimulating mostly off topic thread in which the answer was found ;)