new au3 file

Hello,

I downloaded autoit on my laptop after a clean windows install and installed autoit, but before i did i was looking at an au3 file and told windows to open it with text editor. After autoit installed, the icon still looks like a txt file, meaning it is a white icon not the purple one that an au3 normally looks like. When i right click to make a new au3 file the option isnt there. I uninstalled autoit and reinstalled it but the problem persists. Anyone know how to remedy the sitation? Im using windows 7 home premium x64.

Thanks!

• Developers

Run the attached script and cut&paste the result so we can see what your registry settings are.

It will advice you what to do to fix it.

Jos :)

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

******************************************************************************************************************************************

!* Found always open with Win7:Applications\AutoIt3.exe

!* Fixed by removing Registry key: "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\Userchoice"

!* Registry key: "HKCR\.au3" - "Default" is currently set to au3_auto_file ==> This should be changed to "AutoIt3Script" (or "AutoIt3ScriptBeta")

* HKCR\.au3 ShellNew :Template.au3 File Exists.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

* Explorer shell options:

* HKCR\au3_auto_file\shell:

* => Default Action:

* ShellNew:Template.au3

• Developers

Where did you get that error?

Un-installing AutoIt3 and then installing it again should also fix this issue as far as I know.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Just tried it myself by doing an "Open With" for an au3 file and selected to always open with notepad.

That did create the registry key:

"HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerFileExts.au3Userchoice"

I then started REGEDIT.EXE and deleted the userchoice key which restored the normal behaviour.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I went in and deleted userchoices then the au3 file went to the blank icon like it didnt know what to open it with. When i right clicked it to open it i chose autoit to open it with and after doing so the icon turned back into the notepad emblem, not the purple autoit one. When i right clicked to edit the au3 file it took me to notepad not the normal autoit edit where the code is colored.

• Developers

I went in and deleted userchoices then the au3 file went to the blank icon like it didnt know what to open it with. When i right clicked it to open it i chose autoit to open it with and after doing so the icon turned back into the notepad emblem, not the purple autoit one. When i right clicked to edit the au3 file it took me to notepad not the normal autoit edit where the code is colored.

You do not what to do the right click open with thing. Do what the script has adviced being:

removing Registry key: "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerFileExts.au3Userchoice"

Change Registry key: "HKCR.au3" - "Default" is currently set to au3_auto_file ==> This should be changed to "AutoIt3Script" (or "AutoIt3ScriptBeta")

This will fix the settings to what the installer sets them.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Just start SciTE that comes with Autot3 and do a File/Open for the script... then F5 to run it.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

!* Registry key: "HKCR.au3" - "Default" is currently set to au3_auto_file ==> This should be changed to "AutoIt3Script" (or "AutoIt3ScriptBeta")

* HKCR.au3 ShellNew :Template.au3 File Exists.

* Explorer shell options:

* HKCRau3_auto_fileshell:

* => Default Action:

* ShellNew:Template.au3

thats the output but when i go look at the regedit, "AutoIt3Script" is the value for all the defaults.

• Developers

So it seems you haven't updated the Default for registry key: HKCR\.au3

It should look like:

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.