Auto DVD Ripper (Need some guidance)

I was interested in creating something that will automatically rip a DVD to an ISO file using DVDfab. I plan on using this on a system that has multiple DVD drives so I can load it up and let it run over a few hours. I was hoping for some guidance with a GUI to make this automation cleaner.

I would like for it to:

Detect the DVD Drives

Eject them all

prompt for DVD name as each disk is inserted (creating folder name based on name entered)

rip DVD to folder (creating ISO)

ejecting disk

wait for next disk

rinse and repeat

Anyone have a good starting point for this novice?

Thanks!

Um... isn't it illegal in the US and countries covered under the FTA to go near this subject? IE attempting to circumvent the encryption? Does this forum want to leave itself open to legal beagles?

Edited by 4Eyes

Archival copies are legal in most countries. The OP hasn't mentioned pirating, so take that as a hint.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I didn't mention pirating either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_ripper says in part:

"A DVD ripper is a software program that facilitates copying the content of a DVD to a hard disk drive. They are mainly used to transfer video on DVDs to different formats, to edit or back up DVD content, and to convert DVD video for playback on media players and mobile devices. Some DVD rippers include additional features such as Blu-ray support, DVD and Blu-ray Disc decryption, copy protection removal and the ability to make discs unrestricted and region-free."

Sounds to me like removing the encryption which is against the FTA.

And... I wouldn't say that an ISO is an archival copy. Sure, it can make another copy.

Personally, I think this is asking for the heavies to jump on the OP. My 2 cents. Don't need an argument... I'm married.

Not sure what the FTA is but I don't see any mention of removing any type of encryption, so giving people the benefit of the doubt never gets the law involved until proven otherwise.

As to an argument, there's no argument here, just pointing out the facts.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

@JohnOne,

Fine. If you made 'em, you own the copyright. If one of the big stuidios made it, they do. What we do is our own free will. Sometimes we break the law of the land speeding etc. It happens and we generally don't get caught.

@BrewManNH, the FTA is the Free Trade Agreement signed by Australia and the US. It incorporates the Digital Millenium Act. There may be other countries effected too. I believe this has made even having a copy of DVD Decrypter an offence. Does that mean everybody deleted theirs? No.

All I was trying to say is that we (the forums) may be exposing ourselves to some legal action. I did not say or imply that the first poster or anybody else is pirating anything. Let's drop it, ok.

You did imply it by bringing it up in the first place without cause. I agree lets drop it because you're not paying attention anyways.

• Moderators

KoolFrank87,

Some interesting posts above. You might have questions - but so do I. ;)

- Your IP shows you as coming from a nation which has very strict laws about this sort of thing - are you content that you are legally permitted to rip these DVDs?

- Your wish to automate this process seems to me to indicate it happening on a scale above what I would call "personal use" - is that indeed the case?

I would appreciate answers, please. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

M23,

Let me give everyone a bigger picture of what my goals are. Let me start by saying this 100% for personal use. I have a LARGE collection of DVD's that I would love to rip and encode to stream from my Netgear ReadyNAS. This automation will help in getting those DVD's into the ISO format and then I plan on using handbrake or DVDfab to encode them so they are playable on any of my network devices (PS3, XBox 360, Roku... ect)  I am still putting all the pieces of this puzzle together on how to automate my little project and am in no way attempting to circumvent any laws.  I am positive I can do this one DVD at a time but that alone is very intimidating. lol

High level summary:

Rip DVD to ISO (paid version of DVDFab)

Run ISO through encoder (produce playable format for home network)

Enjoy the flexibility of watching my movies on any TV in my house :-D

I hope this helps clear the air some. 

Thanks everyone!

• Moderators

KoolFrank87,

Thanks for the clarification - happy for the thred to continue. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area