Delayed Commands

I'm relatively new to AutoIT, and have put together a script/gui to map/unmap a network drive. It works well, but there are several things I want to add and I'm not sure how. Would really appreciate someone educating me on the proper way to do these things.

• After the drive is mapped, if the application receives no input for an hour, I want to delete the drive map. I do not want this to prevent users from using a GUI button to disconnect early.

• If drive is being unmapped after the aforementioned inactivity period, I want to display a message that lasts for 1 minute indicating this will happen, with the ability to cancel. (I assume this is similar to what I'm using for the exit confirmation)

• Pie in the sky (seemed complicated when I researched) it would be cool to show a status bar on the disconnect window counting down the 1 hour
In general, would like to know if I'm doing things right in the code. Note that I'm not done with the calendars bit... just added that part thismorning but I don't think I'll have any trouble figuring out how to work it (just have to open a different webpage for each choice in the list)

Here's the code (got the base code from another topic, added onto it using Koda, forums, and help files.)

#AutoIt3Wrapper_icon=your_icon.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Obfuscator=y
#obfuscator_parameters=/striponly
#NoTrayIcon

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <ComboConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

;home screen
$home = GUICreate("[removed title]", 385, 176, -728, 125)
GUISetFont(12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$map = GUICtrlCreateButton("Map the P Drive", 12, 11, 361, 75)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 18, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$label_calendar = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Available Calendars", 100, 99, 170, 28)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$calendarlist = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Please Choose...", 65, 131, 241, 28, BitOR($CBS_DROPDOWN,$CBS_AUTOHSCROLL))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "[removed list items]")
;connect window
$connectwindow = GUICreate("Connect To The P Drive", 337, 198, -706, 343, -1, -1, $home)
$username_id = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 119, 26, 153, 32)
$password_id = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 119, 67, 153, 32, $ES_PASSWORD)
$label_username = GUICtrlCreateLabel("username", 45, 30, 60, 25)
$label_password = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Password", 15, 74, 90, 25)
$connect = GUICtrlCreateButton("Connect", 18, 114, 305, 57, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_BUTTON, $BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON))
;disconnect window
$disconnectwindow = GUICreate("Successful Map", 337, 199, -706, 344)
$disconnect = GUICtrlCreateButton("Disconnect P Drive", 9, 65, 312, 60)
$label_timeout = GUICtrlCreateLabel("The drive will automatically" & @CR & "disconnect after 1 hour.", 9, 5, 312, 57, $BS_MULTILINE)
$open = GUICtrlCreateButton("Open P Drive", 9, 133, 313, 60)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $home)

While 1
$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
$confirm = MsgBox(1, "Confirm Exit", "Are you sure you want to close this application? The next person who uses this computer may need it. Note: Closing this application will un-map the P Drive.")
If $confirm = 1 Then
DriveMapDel("P:")
Sleep(10)
Exit
         EndIf

Case $map
GUISetState(@SW_show, $connectwindow)

Case $connect
         $username = GUICtrlRead($username_id)
         $password = GUICtrlRead($password_id)

If $username = '' Or $password = '' Then
             MsgBox(16, 'Error', 'Empty username or password')
             ContinueLoop
         EndIf

If DriveMapGet("P:") <> '' Then ; very fast
             MsgBox(16, 'Error', 'The drive letter (P:) is already in use. You must be very talented to be seeing this message.')
             ContinueLoop
         EndIf

DriveMapAdd("P:", "[network location]", 0, "[domain]" & $username, $password) ; slow
         If @error Then
             Switch @error
                 Case 1
                     $err_message = 'Undefined / Other error. Windows API return code: ' & @extended
                 Case 2
                     $err_message = 'Access to the remote share was denied'
                 Case 3
                     $err_message = 'The device is already assigned'
                 Case 4
                     $err_message = 'Invalid device name'
                 Case 5
                     $err_message = 'Invalid remote share'
                 Case 6
                     $err_message = 'Invalid password'
             EndSwitch
             MsgBox(16, 'Error', $err_message)
Else ; Drive Mapped Sucessfully
; Show Mapped Drive
ShellExecute("explorer.exe", "P:")
; Clear Username/Password Values and set focus to username text box
GUICtrlSetData($username_id, "")
$username = ''
GUICtrlSetData($password_id, "")
$password = ''
GUICtrlSetState($username_id, $GUI_FOCUS)
; Hide Connect Window
GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE, $connectwindow)
GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $connectwindow)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $disconnectwindow)
EndIf

Case $disconnect
; Hide disconnect window and open the connect window for next user
GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $disconnectwindow)
GUISetState(@SW_ENABLE, $connectwindow)

Case $open

EndSwitch
WEnd
Edited by SnarfSnarf

Look at TimerInit/TimerDiff and perhaps in combination with AdLibRegister.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Look at TimerInit/TimerDiff and perhaps in combination with AdLibRegister.

From what I read, using adlibregister would pause the script and load the CPU. Also, TimerInt/TimerDiff typically leverage Sleep (which pauses the script). This is undesired behavior. What I need is a way for the script to continue to wait for any of the case statements to trigger but if they do not for 1 hour, unmap P:.

Maybe what I'm asking isn't possible?

You read that totally wrong. They do exactly the opposite, they don't sleep the script at all, which is why you would want to use them to time things rather than using Sleep to pause the whole script for a period of time.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

OK, I came up with the code below. My question is...

1. Am I doing this in the cleanest possible way?

2. Where exactly should I place this in my existing code to get it to behave the way I want? (i.e. once the drive is mapped, continue to take other commands but 1 hour after mapping, dismount)

Global $timeofmap = TimerInit() ;start timer after drive is mapped
Global $sincemap = TimerDiff($timeofmap) ; return time since drive was mapped
Global $maxmappedtime = 3600000 ;set to 1 hour

AdLibRegister("AutoDismount", 5000) ; check every 5 seconds for maxmappedtime to be 1 hour

Func AutoDismount()
   If $sincemap >= $maxmappedtime Then
      $dismountconfirm = MsgBox(1, "Are you still there? The P Drive will unmap automatically in one minute. Click cancel to prevent this.", 60)
         If  $dismountconfirm = 1 or -1 Then
         ; Hide disconnect window and enable the connect window for next user
         Else
         $timeofmap = TimerInit()
         EndIf
   EndIf
EndFunc
Edited by SnarfSnarf

There is no where the Script to hook up

Hence it would exit before the Registered function is executed

Place a loop at the end of the script so that it continues its life

While 1
Sleep(10)
Wend

My code:

PredictText: Predict Text of an Edit Control Like Scite. Remote Gmail: Execute your Scripts through Gmail. StringRegExp:Share and learn RegExp.

Run As System: A command line wrapper around PSEXEC.exe to execute your apps scripts as System (LSA). Database: An easier approach for _SQ_LITE beginners.

MathsEx: A UDF for Fractions and LCM, GCF/HCF. FloatingText: An UDF for make your text floating. Clipboard Extendor: A clipboard monitoring tool. 

Custom ScrollBar: Scroll Bar made with GDI+, user can use bitmaps instead. RestrictEdit_SRE: Restrict text in an Edit Control through a Regular Expression.

This should do it in a more precise manner

AdlibRegister("AutoDismount", $maxmappedtime) ; Execute every 1 hour

Func AutoDismount()
$dismountconfirm = MsgBox(1, "Are you still there? The P Drive will unmap automatically in one minute. Click cancel to prevent this.", 60)
If $dismountconfirm = 1 Or - 1 Then
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>AutoDismount

While 1
Sleep(10)
WEnd

Plus: TimerDiff will return the Difference when you call it hence your logic was wrong in the script

Regards :)

My code:

PredictText: Predict Text of an Edit Control Like Scite. Remote Gmail: Execute your Scripts through Gmail. StringRegExp:Share and learn RegExp.

Run As System: A command line wrapper around PSEXEC.exe to execute your apps scripts as System (LSA). Database: An easier approach for _SQ_LITE beginners.

MathsEx: A UDF for Fractions and LCM, GCF/HCF. FloatingText: An UDF for make your text floating. Clipboard Extendor: A clipboard monitoring tool. 

Custom ScrollBar: Scroll Bar made with GDI+, user can use bitmaps instead. RestrictEdit_SRE: Restrict text in an Edit Control through a Regular Expression.

It won't work because this section...

Func AutoDismount()
   If $sincemap >= $maxmappedtime Then

never updates the $sincemap value, it's always going to be the first value you set at the top of your snippet.

You need to update $sincemap everytime you enter the function, or somewhere else in your script. Or just get rid of the $sincemap variable and check the timer directly.

Func AutoDismount()
   If TimerDiff($timeofmap) >= $maxmappedtime Then

Thanks to both of you. PhoenixXL, I think you misunderstood my intention for the code... I believe I do still need the timer.

In my original code, I have a while/wend loop handing the events from the GUI. After the $connect event maps a drive, I want a timer to start and after 1 hour for the drive to be dismounted. The user can cancel this, which would also reset the timer.

I think I can clean it up from here... one more dumb question though: where should I place the adlibregister in my original post's code to ensure it runs the function after 1 hour of the drive being mapped? Also, does it matter where I put the function definition? I assume it should be outside the while/wend stuff.

There isnt a need to use both AdlibRegister and TimerFunctions

;The point where you want to initiate
Global $iTimer = TimerInit()

Func AutoDismount()
EndIf
EndFunc ;==>AutoDismount

While 1
If TimerDiff($iTimer) >= $maxmappedtime Then
AutoDismount()
$iTimer = TimerInit();Reset the timer neglecting whether the user pressed ok or cancel in the msgbox
EndIf
WEnd

There might be accuracy related issues regarding AdlibRegister,

you can place the timer in the main loop.

You can define the function anywhere in the script though not inside a loop

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

There isnt a need to use both AdlibRegister and TimerFunctions

;The point where you want to initiate
Global $iTimer = TimerInit()

Func AutoDismount()
EndIf
EndFunc ;==>AutoDismount

While 1
If TimerDiff($iTimer) >= $maxmappedtime Then
AutoDismount()
$iTimer = TimerInit();Reset the timer neglecting whether the user pressed ok or cancel in the msgbox
EndIf
WEnd

There might be accuracy related issues regarding AdlibRegister,

you can place the timer in the main loop.

You can define the function anywhere in the script though not inside a loop

How does this fit in with my case statements in the original code? I want this the timer to start when the $connect case completes sucessfully and only be checking to see if it has been going more than an hour while the $disconnectwindow is active/shown.

I think this is the reason that BrewManNH reccomended using adlibregister ... so I could start the timer when the $connect case happens and be periodically checking for the timer being over an hour at all times. Does this sound right? Here's my updated code... I put the hour variable and function right below the gui definitions, the adlibregister above the case statements in the while loop, and declared the timer variable (thereby starting it?) at the end of the $connect case.

Edited by SnarfSnarf

adlibregister registers a function to be executed continuously in a specific amount of time till adlibunregister is called or the script is exitted

hence there is no requirement to call it in a loop, registering it once is sufficient.

I recently read in a topic that the function was executing in incorrect intervals

Hence if accuracy is a priority TimerInit and TimerDiff should be used in a loop

TimerInit(could be anywhere) is used to initiate a timer and the TimerDiff should be checked inside a loop( for accuracy).

When the elapsed time is greater or equal than required time the function should be executed.

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

• Moderators

PhoenixXL,

I recently read in a topic that the function was executing in incorrect intervals

That thread was a complete red herring - the OP admitted later that it was a coding error on his part that casued the problem. Adlib is as accurate as the PC clock - which is not that wonderful when dealing with very precise timings. ;)

m23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

the OP admitted later that it was a coding error on his part that casued the problem.

Sorry, didn't notice the further changes :(

My code:

I think I've got it. Tested this with lower time values to make sure it was working properly. Posting code so that...

• Anyone who is interested can see what I did
  • Mods/Experts can let me know if I did anything wrong/poorly (so I can correct)

Here's how the timer part works:

1) Map Drive - timer starts and so does function to check for timer to reach 1 hour

2) When timer reaches 1 hour, drive is dismounted and function is stopped (notification message appears for 1 minute)

Users can cancel the dismount when message appears (resets timer), and dismounting the drive from the gui stops the function (and essentially resets the timer, since connecting will reset it).

#AutoIt3Wrapper_icon=your_icon.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Obfuscator=y
#obfuscator_parameters=/striponly
#NoTrayIcon

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <ComboConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

;home screen
$home = GUICreate("[removed title]", 385, 176, -728, 125)
GUISetFont(12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$map = GUICtrlCreateButton("Map the P Drive", 12, 11, 361, 75)
$label_calendar = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Available Calendars", 100, 99, 170, 28)
$calendarlist = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Please Choose...", 65, 131, 241, 28, BitOR($CBS_DROPDOWN,$CBS_AUTOHSCROLL))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "[removed list]")
;connect window
$connectwindow = GUICreate("Connect To The P Drive", 337, 198, -706, 343, -1, -1, $home)
$username_id = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 119, 26, 153, 32)
$password_id = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 119, 67, 153, 32, $ES_PASSWORD)
$label_netID = GUICtrlCreateLabel("netID", 45, 30, 60, 25)
$label_password = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Password", 15, 74, 90, 25)
$connect = GUICtrlCreateButton("Connect", 18, 114, 305, 57, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_BUTTON, $BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON))
;disconnect window
$disconnectwindow = GUICreate("Successful Map", 336, 148, 323, 232)
$disconnect = GUICtrlCreateButton("Disconnect P Drive", 9, 9, 312, 60)
$open = GUICtrlCreateButton("Open P Drive", 9, 77, 313, 60)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $home)

Global $timeofmap = TimerInit() ;this value is reset later on the $connect case

Func AutoDismount() ; checks for the drive to be mapped an hour and if true disconnect
   If TimerDiff($timeofmap) >= $maxmappedtime Then
      $dismountconfirm = MsgBox(1, "Auto-Dismount Notification", "Are you still there? The P Drive will unmap automatically in one minute. Click cancel to prevent this.", 60)
         If $dismountconfirm = 2 Then
         $timeofmap = TimerInit()
         Else
         $timeofmap = TimerInit()
         AdLibUnRegister("AutoDismount") ; stop checking for time to be 1 hour
      EndIf
   EndIf
EndFunc

While 1

$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
   Switch $nMsg

Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            $confirm = MsgBox(1, "Confirm Exit", "Are you sure you want to close this application? The next person who uses this computer may need it. Note: Closing this application will un-map the P Drive.")
            If $confirm = 1 Then
               Exit
            EndIf

Case $map
   GUISetState(@SW_show, $connectwindow)

Case $connect
   $username = GUICtrlRead($username_id)
   $password = GUICtrlRead($password_id)

If $username = '' Or $password = '' Then
       MsgBox(16, 'Error', 'Empty username or password')
       ContinueLoop
   EndIf

If DriveMapGet("P:") <> '' Then ; very fast
       MsgBox(16, 'Error', 'The drive letter (P:) is already in use. You must be very talented to be seeing this message.')
       ContinueLoop
   EndIf

DriveMapAdd("P:", "[network location]", 0, "[domain]" & $username, $password) ; slow
   If @error Then
       Switch @error
           Case 1
               $err_message = 'Undefined / Other error. Windows API return code: ' & @extended
           Case 2
               $err_message = 'Access to the remote share was denied'
           Case 3
               $err_message = 'The device is already assigned'
           Case 4
               $err_message = 'Invalid device name'
           Case 5
               $err_message = 'Invalid remote share'
           Case 6
               $err_message = 'Invalid password'
       EndSwitch
       MsgBox(16, 'Error', $err_message)
    Else ; Drive Mapped Sucessfully
      ; Show Mapped Drive
      ; Clear Username/Password Values and set focus to username text box
      GUICtrlSetData($username_id, "")
      $username = ""
      GUICtrlSetData($password_id, "")
      $password = ""
      GUICtrlSetState($username_id, $GUI_FOCUS)
      ; Hide Connect Window
      GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE, $connectwindow)
      GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $connectwindow)
      GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $disconnectwindow)
      $timeofmap = TimerInit() ;start timer after drive is mapped
      AdLibRegister("AutoDismount", 60000) ; start checking for time to be 1 hour

EndIf

Case $disconnect
      ; Hide disconnect window and open the connect window for next user
      AdLibUnRegister("AutoDismount") ; stop checking for time to be 1 hour

Case $open

EndSwitch
Sleep(10)
WEnd
Edited by SnarfSnarf

• Moderators

SnarfSnarf,

You have not set a specific time for the Adlib function to repeat - at present you are checking every 250ms (the default value). As you are waiting for an hour to elapse, I would have thought a significantly longer period would be sufficient and save CPU cycles - perhaps every minute or so? ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

SnarfSnarf,

You have not set a specific time for the Adlib function to repeat - at present you are checking every 250ms (the default value). As you are waiting for an hour to elapse, I would have thought a significantly longer period would be sufficient and save CPU cycles - perhaps every minute or so? ;)

M23

Ah yes, thank you I forgot to change that back. When I was testing it I wanted the default value. Setting it to 60000. It doesn't seem to take any CPU @ the default value though. (updated code)