Installing au3 program with right-click context menu

In the process of upgrading to Win-7, I lost my Register settings for right-click context menu options for a couple of small au3 programs I created 2 years ago. They are something I might want to share but would want to create an installer which would also add registry entries on folders and video files for right click context.

I tried using TheSaint's Install Creator but it seems to get an error and fail creating the exe installer, even though it's only one file to install.

Source code is not available so I don't know where it fails. Trying the zip install with Universal Installer created the install destination folder but without the program installed, even trying with Run As Administrator.

I've looked at _ShellFile() and _ShellFolder() as well but that would have to be incorporated into an installer as well for my needs.

Is there already other options available that I haven't found on the forums?

Also, is it possible to set context menu on known video extensions or would I have to register each one individually?

post-37367-0-43526300-1361902776_thumb.j

Edited by Garp99HasSpoken

For your installer you can use Inno Setup. And for associate your program during the installation take a look here:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#assoc

Hi!

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

Use those two amazing UDFs as ideas of what registry keys to write to. I also use NSIS (see chat thread for more details about that.)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

No problem.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

For your installer you can use Inno Setup. And for associate your program during the installation take a look here:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#assoc

Looking at the page quote

Creating File Associations

First set the [setup] section directive "ChangesAssociations" to "yes". Then create [Registry] entries as shown below.

[Registry]

Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".myp"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "MyProgramFile"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue

".myp" is the extension we're associating. "MyProgramFile" is the internal name for the file type as stored in the registry. Make sure you use a unique name for this so you don't inadvertently overwrite another application's registry key.

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "MyProgramFile"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "My Program File"; Flags: uninsdeletekey

"My Program File" above is the name for the file type as shown in Explorer.

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "MyProgramFileDefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}MYPROG.EXE,0"

"DefaultIcon" is the registry key that specifies the filename containing the icon to associate with the file type. ",0" tells Explorer to use the first icon from MYPROG.EXE. (",1" would mean the second icon.)

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "MyProgramFileshellopencommand"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}MYPROG.EXE"" ""%1"""

"shellopencommand" is the registry key that specifies the program to execute when a file of the type is double-clicked in Explorer. The surrounding quotes are in the command line so it handles long filenames correctly.

This is if i have .myp as an extension that I want to associate to *my* program. That's not what I'm looking for.

I want to add my program to the right-click context for .mkv, .avi, etc (or all if it becomes difficult) so user can see my program to execute for those file types (and folder).

Did I miss something in the description?

If you want associate your program during the installation process, this is the way. For example now i will associate your programm with .mkv file.

Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".mkv"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "MyProgramFile"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "MyProgramFile"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "My Cool Application"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "MyProgramFile\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}\MYPROG.EXE,0"
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "MyProgramFile\shell\open\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\MYPROG.EXE"" ""%1"""

After installed on every .mkv when you click with the right mouse button in the menu you will see your app with the name " My Cool Application" ;)

A guide how to associate file extension with your programm can be found here, just start to read from the point number 6.

If you have other question don't esitate to ask.

Hi!

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

Ok thanks -- the website made it imply it was NEW extensions.

That external link is not working for me right now -- could be my cable modem acting up.

I will try to incorporate into INNOsetup which I got to work for me.

One workaround, for the benefit of anyone reading this thread in the future is that I added _Shell_All.au3

#include "_ShellAll.au3"

and then simply added command line switches for /install and /uninstall to add/delete the registry entries like this...

#region - CmdlineSwitch
If $CMDLINE[0] Then
    For $i = 1 To $CMDLINE[0]
        If Not StringLen($CMDLINE[$i]) Then ContinueLoop        ;; empty
        If (StringLeft($CMDLINE[$i], 1) = "%")  Then ContinueLoop    ;; bad parameter

Switch $CMDLINE[$i]
            Case '/?'
             MsgBox(0x40000, @ScriptName & ' Help', 'Switches are:' _
                          & @CRLF & @TAB & '/install' _
                          & @CRLF & @TAB & '/uninstall' _
                         & @CRLF & '[END switches] & @CRLF & @CRLF')
                Exit

Case '/install'
                ; Add the running EXE to the Shell ContextMenu. This will only display when selecting a file and folder.
                _ShellAll_Install('Create NFO')
                Exit

Case '/uninstall'
                ; Remove the running EXE from the Shell ContextMenu.
                _ShellAll_Uninstall()
                Exit

Case Else        ;; files to process
                $allFiles &= $CMDLINE[$i] & "|"
;;                MsgBox(0, @ScriptName, 'Command line:' & @CRLF & @TAB & $CMDLINE[$i] & @CRLF)
        EndSwitch
    Next
EndIf
#endregion

And then create 2 batch files (install & uninstall) that I can add to the install process

Create_NFO_install.bat

@ECHO OFF

ECHO CALL Create_NFO.exe /install
CALL Create_NFO.exe /install

PAUSE
EXIT

I checked the website and work good. So you have solved your problem? :)

Hi!

Almost, install running well with INNOsetup (thanks for that).

Having problem with multiple entries for different video types

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "My Tech\Create_NFO"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "My Tech\Create_NFO\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}\Create_NFO.EXE,0"
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "My Tech\Create_NFO\shell\open\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\Create_NFO.EXE"" ""%1"" ""%2"" ""%3"" ""%4"" ""%5"" ""%6"" ""%7"" ""%8"" ""%9"""
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".avi"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".iso"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".mkv"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".mp4"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".mpg"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".wmv"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".ts";  ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".vob"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue
Root: HKCR; Subkey: ".nfo"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create_NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletevalue

Don't see it but I think if it partially worked it was only for the *.avi file setting (can't find an avi to test right now).

Looking at the other values I believed I should be able to simply list the other file types I need rather than repeat the same 4 lines over and over.

Also, how to enter registry for folder as a Subkey?

Ok, more testing shows this is not what I want because it overrides the default action for video files, which is to play the video.

It shows up in explorer as my program name and tries to execute it when double-clicked. I only want the user to right-click context menu

while in Explorer and select Create_NFO, just like you would select UnRar Here on a .rar file.

After uninstall the default action is returned properly.

I checked the website and work good. So you have solved your problem? :)

Problem was with a new VPN setup and the location chosen.

So far I have the install working well but not the registry keys within the install process.

Using my trick posted earlier, running the batch files on their own does the trick but it doesn't seem to work letting the installer do the call.

Still testing.

If I have understood right , now you want to "emulate" the _ShellAll() function in InnoSetup?

Hi!

It would appear to be.

UDF List:

Ok, using the values I got from the registry that _ShellAll() installed, these values in INNOsetup is working for me

Root: HKCR; Subkey: "*\shell\Create_NFO"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "*\shell\Create_NFO\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}\Create_NFO.EXE,0"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "*\shell\Create_NFO\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\Create_NFO.EXE"" ""%1"" ""%2"" ""%3"" ""%4"" ""%5"" ""%6"" ""%7"" ""%8"" ""%9"""; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "Directory\shell\Create_NFO"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "Directory\shell\Create_NFO\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}\Create_NFO.EXE,0"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCR; Subkey: "Directory\shell\Create_NFO\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\Create_NFO.EXE"" ""%1"" ""%2"" ""%3"" ""%4"" ""%5"" ""%6"" ""%7"" ""%8"" ""%9"""; Flags: uninsdeletekey

Root: HKCU; Subkey: "*\shell\Create_NFO"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "*\shell\Create_NFO\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}\Create_NFO.EXE,0"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "*\shell\Create_NFO\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\Create_NFO.EXE"" ""%1"" ""%2"" ""%3"" ""%4"" ""%5"" ""%6"" ""%7"" ""%8"" ""%9"""; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "Directory\shell\Create_NFO"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "Create NFO"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "Directory\shell\Create_NFO\DefaultIcon"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: "{app}\Create_NFO.EXE,0"; Flags: uninsdeletekey
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "Directory\shell\Create_NFO\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName: ""; ValueData: """{app}\Create_NFO.EXE"" ""%1"" ""%2"" ""%3"" ""%4"" ""%5"" ""%6"" ""%7"" ""%8"" ""%9"""; Flags: uninsdeletekey

Now I am just trying to get a proper icon associated to the program showing up on the context menu -- new thread started.

Thanks for your help on this.

Edited by Garp99HasSpoken

This should emulate _ShellAll():

[Registry]
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\My Tech"; ValueType: string; ValueName:""; ValueData: "Create NFO"
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\My Tech"; ValueType: string; ValueName:"Icon"; ValueData: "{app}\Create_NFO.EXE,0"
Root: HKCU; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\My Tech\command"; ValueType: string; ValueName:""; ValueData: """{app}\Create_NFO.EXE"" ""%1"" ""%2"" ""%3"" ""%4"" ""%5"" ""%6"" ""%7"" ""%8"" ""%9"""

Hi!

Edit: i have just seen that you have solved your problem, exellent!

Edited by Nessie

This ideally should have been in the developer thread as it's not related to AutoIt.

UDF List:

It's true, this thread is "evolved" to a different "aim" ;)

As Nessie said, it evolved from being an AutoIt question into a general computing question, so no worries.

I'm just busy developing SciTE Jump right now, hence why I left it to Nessie to help. Sorry Nessie.

UDF List: