help please... simple RegRead issue

keilamym

i just started writing this new code and as of now, its rather simple... i want autoit to look at the main "rebootrequired" key and based on its existance, i'll have it produce a popup or whatever...

I created this simple code but the error code is ALWAYS the same (1) , regardless of if the rebootrequired key is there or not.

RegRead ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired","")
MsgBox(4096,@error,@error)

I figured the space between "Auto Update" was creating a problem but couldn't figure it out... ive writtien many scripts and have never had this problem.. any assistance would be appreciated.

Edited by keilamym

Try this:

$Check_Key = _Reg_KeyIsEmpty("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired")

If $Check_Key = -1 Then
MsgBox(16, "Error", "Key doesn't exist")
Else
If $Check_Key = 0 Then
MsgBox(0, "Done", "The key exist and have values and keys.")
ElseIf $Check_Key = 1 Then
MsgBox(0, "Done", "The key exist and have only Keys.")
ElseIf $Check_Key = 2 Then
MsgBox(0, "Done", "The key exist and have only Values.")
ElseIf $Check_Key = 3 Then
MsgBox(0, "Done", "The key exist and have NOT values and Keys.")
EndIf
EndIf

Func _Reg_KeyIsEmpty($eKey)
; -1: key doesn't exist
; 0: keys and values
; 1: only Keys
; 2: only Values
; 3: no Keys, no Values
RegRead($eKey, '')
If @error = 1 Then Return -1
Local $RegKeyIsEmptyCount = 0
RegEnumVal($eKey, 1)
If @error = -1 Then $RegKeyIsEmptyCount += 1
RegEnumKey($eKey, 1)
If @error = -1 Then $RegKeyIsEmptyCount += 2
Return $RegKeyIsEmptyCount
EndFunc ;==>_Reg_KeyIsEmpty
Edited by Nessie

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nessie (and all),

I am also having problems when attempting to read this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000CodecInitDelay

Nessie, I used your script and get the message "Key doesn't exist" but it does exist, I see its value with regedit.

The path is correct, I used the "Copy Key Name" feature of the Windows Registry Editor.

Key type is REG_SZ.

Any hint would be welcomed !

Edit 1: I believe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000CodecInitDelay

is available on most of the Windows PCs.

Edit 2:

If I use:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000

I get "The key exist and have values and keys."

But i want the value of CodecInitDelay. Am I using the wrong instruction (RegRead) ?

Edited by Akshay07

I have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000

But don't have that key 'CodecInitDelay'.

win7 x64 pro

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Hi Nessie (and all),

I am also having problems when attempting to read this registry key:

Nessie, I used your script and get the message "Key doesn't exist" but it does exist, I see its value with regedit.

The path is correct, I used the "Copy Key Name" feature of the Windows Registry Editor.

Key type is REG_SZ.

Any hint would be welcomed !

Edit 1: I believe

is available on most of the Windows PCs.

Edit 2:

If I use:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000

I get "The key exist and have values and keys."

But i want the value of CodecInitDelay. Am I using the wrong instruction (RegRead) ?

The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000CodecInitDelay doesn't exist on my Windows XP SP3 x86.

Instead HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}0000 exist and contains values and keys.

Do you have an x64 system? BTW you have to use:

RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\CodecInitDelay", "THE NAME OF THE VALUE THAT YOU WANT READ")

If you are using a 64 bit os you have to add a "64" after HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,so:

RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\CodecInitDelay", "THE NAME OF THE VALUE THAT YOU WANT READ")

Hi!

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

LoL, yeah... :P

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Thank you !

So your CodecInitDelay is a value and not a registry key as you have always said, that's why you had problem :P

Hi!