More elegant/effective way to use Select/Case

stealth

Hi! I want to improve my coding by using Select/Case instead of several If/ElseIf statements.

Depending on the value of $CRTN and $PKG, I want to return the following:

1 LOOSE CARTON

2 LOOSE CARTONS

1 CARTON ON 1 SKID

3 CARTONS ON 1 SKID

123 CARTONS ON 5 SKIDS

By CARTON(S), I mean box(es).By SKID(S), I mean pallet(s).

Both of the following are impossible solutions for my purpose, minding the English singular and plural:

"x LOOSE CARTON(S) ON y SKID(S)" If carton(s) are loose, then they are not on a skid(s).

"1 CARTON on >1 SKID" 1 carton does not fit on multiple skids.

"5 CARTONS on 4 SKIDS" the number of skids must be =>the number of cartons

In practice, $CRTN and $PKG refer to Excel (with error trapping for opening the Excel Application):

$CRTN=$oExcel.Activesheet.Cells(1,1).Value

$PKG=$oExcel.Activesheet.Cells(1,2).Value

But in theory, I just define the dims in SciTE4 editor, change the values each time for confirmation it does what I'm telling it to. Notepad must be open.

$Loose=MsgBox(4,"Loose?","Are the cartons on a skid?")
$CRTN=1
$PKG=1

;---If/ElseIf---------
WinActivate("Untitled - Notepad")
If $Loose=6 Then
If $CRTN=1 Then
Send($CRTN & " LOOSE CARTON")
ElseIf $CRTN>1 Then
Send($CRTN & " LOOSE CARTONS")
EndIf
EndIf

If $Loose=7 Then
If $CRTN=1 Then
If $PKG=1 Then
Send($CRTN&" CARTON ON "&$PKG&" SKID")
EndIf
EndIf

If $CRTN>1 Then
If $PKG=1 Then
Send($CRTN&" CARTONS ON "&$PKG&" SKID")
ElseIf $PKG>1 Then
Send($CRTN&" CARTONS ON "&$PKG&" SKIDS")
EndIf
EndIf
EndIf

Then I rewrote the mess above using Select and Case

;----with Select/Case----
$CRTN=1
$PKG=1

Select
Case $Loose = 7 AND $CRTN=1
Case $Loose =7 AND $CRTN>1
EndSelect

Select
Case $Loose = 6 AND $CRTN=1 AND $PKG=1
Case $Loose =6 AND $CRTN >1 AND $PKG=1
Case $Loose =6 AND $CRTN >1 AND $PKG>1
EndSelect

Then I rewrote Select and case using only 1 argument.

;----with Select/Case but better----
$CRTN=1
$PKG=1
Select
Case $Loose = 7 AND $CRTN = 1
Case $Loose = 7 AND $CRTN > 1
Case $Loose = 6 AND $CRTN = 1 AND $PKG = 1
Case $Loose = 6 AND $CRTN > 1 AND $PKG = 1
Case $Loose = 6 AND $CRTN > 1 AND $PKG > 1
EndSelect

Is there a way to make the following code better/more elegant?

Is there an error trap(s) that I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Looks alright to me, you could use a function I suppose and tuck it away somewhere.

$Loose = MsgBox(4, "Loose?", "Are the cartons on a skid?")

$CRTN = 1

$PKG = 1

Switch _Select($Loose, $CRTN)
    Case  1
    Case 2
    Case 3
        Send($CRTN & " CARTON ON " & $PKG & " SKID")
    Case 4
        Send($CRTN & " CARTONS ON " & $PKG & " SKID")
    Case 5
        Send($CRTN & " CARTONS ON " & $PKG & " SKIDS")
EndSwitch

Func _Select($Loose, $CRTN)

Select
        Case $Loose = 7 And $CRTN = 1
            Return 1
        Case $Loose = 7 And $CRTN > 1
            Return 2
        Case $Loose = 6 And $CRTN = 1 And $PKG = 1
            Return 3
        Case $Loose = 6 And $CRTN > 1 And $PKG = 1
            Return 4
        Case $Loose = 6 And $CRTN > 1 And $PKG > 1
            Return 5
    EndSelect
EndFunc   ;==>_Select

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

More often than not there is no need to use Select...EndSelect as Switch...EndSwitch is a better choice.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

JohnOne, I have two more questions.

How come there is no need to include $PKG these two lines?

and

Also, how do I place the function out of the way of the main body of the script?

For example:

$Loose = MsgBox(4, "Loose?", "Are the cartons on a skid?")
$CRTN = 1
$PKG = 1
code
code
;send carton and skid count to Notepad
_Select($Loose,$CRTN)
code
code
Msgbox(0,"Done","Finished!")

Case 1
Case 2
Case 3
Send($CRTN & " CARTON ON " & $PKG & " SKID")
Case 4
Send($CRTN & " CARTONS ON " & $PKG & " SKID")
Case 5
Send($CRTN & " CARTONS ON " & $PKG & " SKIDS")
EndSwitch

Select
Case $Loose = 7 And $CRTN = 1
Return 1
Case $Loose = 7 And $CRTN > 1
Return 2
Case $Loose = 6 And $CRTN = 1 And $PKG = 1
Return 3
Case $Loose = 6 And $CRTN > 1 And $PKG = 1
Return 4
Case $Loose = 6 And $CRTN > 1 And $PKG > 1
Return 5
EndSelect
EndFunc ;==>_Select

And don't forget to add #include-once at the top of the UDF.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018