Scite and Scite4Autoit not playing well together

I use a vanilla scite for general purpose text editing and ive some how ended up with an issue that causes scite4autoit to become 'vanilla' when scite is installed at the same time on my system.

ive tried executing the scite.exe directly from the autoit program directory with no luck, still just vanilla scite.

Ive tried re-installing scite4autoit after vanilla scite is installed and still no luck.

as soon as i uninstall vanilla scite everything is fine.

I dont know enough about scite configuration to track down the cause and i'm hoping someone can help, thanks!

• Developers

Not sure why you want to have the vanilla installed as well since the Full version is based on the vanilla version with only a few modifications for the other file extensions.

... but, maybe you could tell me what is problem is you are having?

Is the problem you cannot run the vanilla SciTE at the same time or is it something else?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I guess i wasn't aware i could use scite4autoit as a general purpose code editor, i don't see things like php or html listed under language so i asume your saying i can add them..

Regardless it doesn't seem right that scite4autoit becomes inoperable if scite is installed on the same system. Its not not about running them at the same time... just having vanilla installed causes the issue.

i' ve confirmed this on 2 different win7x64 systems, when scite (scintilla.org) is installed on the same system as scite4autoit, scite4autoit becomes vanilla, regardless of install order or launch method.

If i had to guess they must be sharing some sort of registry key or a config file someplace, but that doesn't explain why simply uninstalling vanilla scite corrects the issue, unless its priority based (ie use registry if settings exist, look for ini file if they dont)

• Developers

You haven't yet explained in some more details what your problem is. ;)

The only thing that is shared are the user files in %USERPROFILE% like SciTEUSer.properties; SciTE.Session;abbrev.properties.

I do not see any reason why you couldn't have multiple SciTE installations in separate directories and used them independently, just not at the same time when configured to use one session. The only thing is they share the previous mentioned Users settings files.

So tell me: What isn't working aymore when both are installed?

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Ill try to explain it better...

like i said before scite4autoit becomes 'vanilla' scite once 'vanilla' scite is installed on the same system.

So i have autoit and scite4autoit installed on my pc like i always have, scite4autoit works great with all its customizations and build options and syntax coloring.

I install Scite on the same system and while scite works as expected, scite4autoit does not anymore... all the customizations, build options and syntax coloring that make it 'scite4autoit' are gone and all i see is a vanilla scite.

This is all regardless of if i re-install scite4autoit or if i launch scite4autoit directly from the autoit directory.

As soon as i uninstall scite, scite4autoit returns to normal.

Thanks for the help, i can make a quick video if im still not explaining it right

Sounds like the property files aren't playing well together.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Developers

No need for a Video. ;)

Just a couple of questions again:

• What installer are you using as I am not aware of any for the SciTE supplied by Neil? I would like to see f i can replicate your problem.
  • Which directory is the Vanilla SciTE installed in?
  • What is the content of SciTEUser.properties? (Although I don't understand how an uninstall would change that)
Jos Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

If you are using the linked installer from the official SciTE site, then check for an environment setting for "SciTE_HOME" which is changed in that installer.

That could very well be your issue why SciTE4AutoIt3 doesn't work any more.

Jos :)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

from http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDownload.html

An installer created by Troy Simpson.

Didnt realise i grabed this isntalled, didnt think much of it i guess because its linked from scintilla.org =/

Taking a quick look it seems that when the linked version of scite is installed env "SciTE_HOME" is set to "C:ProgramDataSciTE" when its not installed its not set at all.

Well thanks for stickin with me on this, this is plenty of information to come up with a fix, however it does seem like it would be wise to have scite4autoit ignore that environment setting as its doesnt seem to use/need it anyway.

Thanks!

Well thanks for stickin with me on this, this is plenty of information to come up with a fix, however it does seem like it would be wise to have scite4autoit ignore that environment setting as its doesnt seem to use/need it anyway.

Thanks!

YOUR'S may not use it, but mine does because I use a portable version of the AutoIt package. Also, it's not a SciTE4AutoIt environment variable, it's a SciTE one, and SciTE will look for that variable to determine where it is located.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Developers

..however it does seem like it would be wise to have scite4autoit ignore that environment setting as its doesnt seem to use/need it anyway.

I am using the standard SciTE which does look at the SciTE_Home environment variable when it is available.

The SciTE4AutoIt3 lite and standard installs don't set SCITE_HOME because there is no real need for it as long as the properties files are stored in the standard location.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

YOUR'S may not use it, but mine does because I use a portable version of the AutoIt package. Also, it's not a SciTE4AutoIt environment variable, it's a SciTE one, and SciTE will look for that variable to determine where it is located.

You kinda made my point, scite4autoit should have its own environment variable and scite should use its own. Scite is purpose built for autoit in this case so if another copy of scite (vanilla or another purpose built scite that doesnt play well) comes along they would conflict, right?

• Developers

You kinda made my point, scite4autoit should have its own environment variable and scite should use its own. Scite is purpose built for autoit in this case so if another copy of scite (vanilla or another purpose built scite that doesnt play well) comes along they would conflict, right?

I don't agree. Honestly I think you should only install one flavor of SciTE that will do all, so either pick my installer which can do it all and is build on the latest from Neil or use another Installer with its own settings. Never expect to have 2 different installers play well for the same product.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.