3D array from excel

I have look at the examples in the forms and in the help file however I still dont think I understand what is wrong with my script. I keep getting a "Subscript used with non-Array variable" error. Maybe I am delcaring the array wrong but I am not sure.

I am trying to get the excel sheets to populate into a 3D array.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiButton.au3>
#include <GuiTreeView.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GuiTab.au3>
#include <array.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>
Global $next = 0
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 0)

;...

$oExcel = _ExcelBookOpen(@WorkingDir & "\Databaseproject.xls", 0)
dim $Databaseproject[10]
dim $array[100][100]
For $sheet = 1 to 10
_ExcelSheetActivate($oExcel, $sheet)
$array = _ExcelReadSheetToArray($oExcel, 1, 1, 100, 100)
$Databaseproject[$sheet] = $array[100][100]
Next
_ArrayDisplay($Databaseproject)
_ExcelBookClose($oExcel)

No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.Voltaire

_Array2HTMLTable()_IEClassNameGetCollection()_IEquerySelectorAll()

You're not using a 3D array for one thing, and for another, you never test to see if the _ExcelReadSheetToArray returns anything, or if it does return anything, whether there are 100 rows and columns. Also, does your spreadsheet really have 10 sheets in it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You're not using a 3D array for one thing, and for another, you never test to see if the _ExcelReadSheetToArray returns anything, or if it does return anything, whether there are 100 rows and columns. Also, does your spreadsheet really have 10 sheets in it?

If I am not using a 3D array then I must be declaring it wrong, could you give me an example of what it should look like?

I did test to see if I was getting an array from excel using _ArrayDisplay but I thought was was unnecessary for this post. As far as returning the 100 sheets, that's just over compensating if I need it later. I put ten sheets in there in case I would need it.

single d array: $array[1]

2d" $array[1][1]

3d: $array[1][1][1]

so you can setup like $array[sheet][x][y]

or, an array of arrays, using the excel read sheet to array function:

$array[sheet] = _ExcelReadSheetToArray() (so, this is a 1d array, comprised of 2d arrays)

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Easier to handle are 2D arrays. 3D arrays can become quite complex to work with.

Do you really need to process multiple sheets in one go? Or could you process sheet by sheet?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Easier to handle are 2D arrays. 3D arrays can become quite complex to work with.

Do you really need to process multiple sheets in one go? Or could you process sheet by sheet?

Maybe you are right Water, I might be over doing this a bit. I must think on this, maybe there is a way I can flatten the data.

Universalist, an Array within array, I did not think that was possible but I will try that function out. Thanks for your comments.

uncommon,

This is a rough example of what jdelaney has advised...

#include <Excel.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

local $myExcelFile = @scriptdir & '\budget.xls'
Local $oExcel = _ExcelBookOpen($myExcelFile,1)

switch @error
    case 1
        ConsoleWrite('Unable to create object' & @LF)
        exit
    case 2
        ConsoleWrite('File does not exist' & @LF)
        Exit
endswitch

local $sheet_list = _excelsheetlist($oExcel)                ; get list of sheets to array, count is at offset 0
local $aSheets[$sheet_list[0]]                              ; define array from sheet list

for $1 = 0 to ubound($aSheets) - 1
    _ExcelSheetActivate($oExcel, $sheet_list[$1])           ; activate each sheet
    $aSheets[$1] = _ExcelReadSheetToArray($oExcel)          ; read each sheet (2D array) to an element of $aSheets (1D array)
next

for $1 = 0 to ubound($aSheets) - 1
    _arraydisplay($asheets[$1])                             ; $aSheets[$1] contains a 2D array
    ConsoleWrite('Number of dimensions for sheet # ' & $1 & ' = ' & ubound($aSheets[$1],0) & @LF)
next

_ExcelBookClose($oExcel, 1)

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill