[Solved] Question about RegWrite()

The function documentation states "When running on 64-bit Windows if you want to write a key or value specific to the 64-bit environment you have to suffix the HK... with 64 i.e. HKLM64"

I am a little confused about "a key or value specfic to the 64-bit environment". What does that mean? Is it saying use HKLM64 on 64-bit Windows or just on certain keys and values?

Edited by CountyIT

When i (rarely) use windows registry i have always doing in this way:

Local $sKey

If @OSArch = "X64" Then
    $sKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"
Else
    $sKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"
EndIf

RegWrite($sKey, "", "REG_SZ", "")

Hi!

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

I'm sure I've read that you can just use "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64".

If it's a 32 bit OS then windows deals with it and operates on the correct place.

I have just tried to write a value in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64" on a 32 bit OS and seems to work. But maybe this method is slower?

EDIT:

I have just done some test. I have compared the speed of writing a value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE64 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on a 32 bit OS:

Here is the result:

1000 values
95.8329760813401 ;x64
94.8971530960913 ;x32

10000 values
889.989895824652 ;x64
703.917127093924 ;x32

100000 values
5275.28225452121 ;x64
5073.15004517043 ;x32

500000 values ;<<<< Tested 3 times and x64 always win!
34697.8030785899 ;x64
37739.6327143929 ;x32

Hi!

Edited by Nessie

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

Thanks guys. The phrase in the docs that was throwing me was "specfic to a 64-but environment" almost as if on a 64-bit machine some things are specfic and some aren't. It would have perhaps been clearer if the docs just said "in a 64-bit environment use HKLM64". Much appreciated.