How Can I Start a Download, for a Certain URL of a File?

If you just want to download the file you could use InetGet. No fiddling with the browser needed.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi Water

Thank you very much,

indeed I often use InetGet() for downloading files, webpages, etc.

However in this case,

I actually want InternetExplorer's small Download Window to appear, and do the work..

(as If you had a link on a page, for some file, say ZIP/PDF/etc,

and you want it to be downloaded via the small download window)

Can that be done?

Any help to initiate that window will be appreciated.

Zohar

Edited by Zohar

In this case I would use the IE UDF and click on link.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hmm

But not always I have a webpage that contains a Link..

Sometimes I have a URL in Clipboard, which is the file that I want to download..

Thank you for the workaround so far,

but If anyone knows how to initiate the Download Window somehow, please write..

Thank you

Zohar

Can't you use _IENavigate to open the desired URL?

Good point.

_IENavigate() is actually good in some cases, for example for files like ZIP, RAR, etc.

It indeed initiates the Download Window that I want.

However,

for files that are set to be Opened rather than Downloaded,

like PDF for example(and not only PDF, but also many more), _IENavigate() opens and shows them, in the browser, instead of downloading them.

I want to Download the file, no matter what file type it has.

_IENavigate() will not do this for me, since it's meant, by definition, to navigate..

I tried it now for 2 files on the internet:

"http://www.aip.org/history/climate/climate.zip"

"www.cred.be/sites/default/files/CredCrunch15.pdf"

(those are just example files I found on Google - i have no idea what's written in them..)

So I need some way that calls the download window,

that way, no matter what file type you have, the download window will take care of it..

Edited by Zohar

Why do you need to see the download window?

Can't you just display a Tooltip or something like that telling the user "Download is running"?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water :)

I am usually open for many other "side" solutions,

but this time, I prefer the Download Window, not a workaround..

I am trying to find a way to tell IE to simply download a file for me, using its small window..

Edited by Zohar

I still don't get why you NEED to use the Download Window, but so be it.

You can only try to let AutoIt do what you need to do when you manually download a file.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's simply nicer.

It has a progressbar.

It supports all the protocols that IE supports - not only HTTP, but also FTP, HTTPS, and more.

You can choose to download several in parallel.

It already has a UI for the selection of the Target Folder that you want.

And many more.

Now you may say:

OK, but you can develop this in AutoIt.

You can Create a GUI with a ProgressBar

You can add CommonDialogWindow for selecting the folder, selecting the filename, etc etc

You can add support for protocols..

And I know that.

But there's something already implemented, that works very well.

If it's possible to ask it to download for me, then I would like to utilize that.

If not, then I will continue to use the workarounds/small-developments that I did for that, till now.

But I want to use the small download window, if possible.. :)

I think, sometimes, it's legitimate for someone to ask for a specific implementation.

And not just for "anything that will solve my problem".

This time, I do want a specific implementation...

And I will understand if it's not possible too..

If Microsoft did not expose any way to use the download window(i.e. via command line),

and if therw's absolutely no way to trigger it to use the download window somehow,

then I will understand..

But please, I would like to have ideas on how to get that,

not ideas on how to divert to something else..

Edited by Zohar

How does your download start?? You click on a link? You insert a link?

You are asking too much without even providing a piece of code besides that i think that your hidding something. Provide more informations

I feel nothing.It feels great.

Another question. How do you know that your download has finished?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You are asking too much without even providing a piece of code besides that i think that your hidding something. Provide more informations

I guess it's better that the users show you their problem in a direction,

that allows them to solve their problems, and at the same time won't infringe the rules.

As for the topic problem, you could always create your own downloader no? sitting in tray.. trying to download copied clipboard links or so.

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

How does your download start?? You click on a link? You insert a link?

The case is this:

I have a URL for a file, and I need to download it.

The URL is not on a webpage, but in a variable for example.

besides that i think that your hidding something.

It's your right to think whatever you wish to think :)

As for the topic problem, you could always create your own downloader no? sitting in tray.. trying to download copied clipboard links or so.

Yeah I know..

But I don't want to write a downloader :)

I want to utilize something that exists and works perfectly well.

Edited by Zohar

Create a small GUI with an object and iecreateembedded in it

Then use it to navigate each link you want to download. If it is a direct link then it will download, if it something else then use ie automatation to download what you want.

I still am not sure what you trying to achieve

I feel nothing.It feels great.