How Efficient is AutoIT

I have a backup scheme that uses BAT files to copy files from one drive to another as a means of backing up. If I use AutoIT to accomplish this is it more or less efficient or does not matter? The files are 10-15 gig in size.

If you just do a FileCopy I think you won't see a difference.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

With all due respect you haven't provided any code so your results mean nothing.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I'm sorry, I did not think I needed to supply source for: 1) log time, 2) copy file, 3) log time. I saved it and will provide if you wish.

My question was more to see if there was a huge difference in copying a file, it appears to me there is not.

Thanks

It would be polite.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

You can try to automate tools like this : http://www.chip.de/downloads/FastCopy-64-Bit_44420604.html

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

• 3 weeks later...

@condoman - I know this is not what you asked, but I suggest you look at a more efficient and safer way to back up you files, using md5 etc.

In fact, there are many good backup programs out there, that will do all you want .... many of them free.

If you want something that is quick and simple, then I recommend TeraCopy big time. I move/copy a lot of big files around often, and it gives me peace of mind. Integrates with Explorer to make it even more seamless. I only have it partially integrated and use it via right-click drag and drop. Has to the most brilliant third party program I've ever come across to use with Windows. It comes in two flavors - Free (which I happily use) and Paid (Pro version) which most don't need.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• Moderators

I'm sorry, I did not think I needed to supply source for: 1) log time, 2) copy file, 3) log time. I saved it and will provide if you wish.

My question was more to see if there was a huge difference in copying a file, it appears to me there is not.

Thanks

I would agree wholeheartedly with guiness: how you are doing a file copy will help determine if the inefficiency is with AutoIt or with you. For example this method of copying 1000 files:

FileCopy(@DesktopDir & "\Test1\*.txt", @DesktopDir & "\Test2\*.txt")

requires a different length of time than this method:

#include <File.au3>

Local $aArray = _FileListToArray(@DesktopDir & "\Test1", "*.txt")

For $i = 1 To $aArray[0]
  FileCopy(@DesktopDir & "\Test1\" & $aArray[$i], @DesktopDir & "\Test2\" & $aArray[$i])
 Next

And there are a myriad of other ways to go about it as well. Without showing your code, you're asking us to first guess at how you're doing it, and then troubleshoot why it is slow. Help us help you ;)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Has to the most brilliant third party program I've ever come across to use with Windows.

So I guess you haven't come across Robocopy then. Robocopy, the joy light and hapiness of one's life. Robust to network disruptions, mirroring, handles long paths even when ms-dos copy doesn't, patterns, includes/excludes, properties timstamps, FAT disk timestamp precision issues, tee-style logging (to file AND to console), dry run/list-only. All for free originally in the win srv 2008 tools package. After so many years I still keep discovering new uses options and features. (sigh) (love)... I ll still check yours to see if I'm not missing on sth, but I doubt. Take care. P.

So I guess you haven't come across Robocopy then. Robocopy, the joy light and hapiness of one's life. Robust to network disruptions, mirroring, handles long paths even when ms-dos copy doesn't, patterns, includes/excludes, properties timstamps, FAT disk timestamp precision issues, tee-style logging (to file AND to console), dry run/list-only. All for free originally in the win srv 2008 tools package. After so many years I still keep discovering new uses options and features. (sigh) (love)... I ll still check yours to see if I'm not missing on sth, but I doubt. Take care. P.

Yes I have, and last time I used it, it was way outside the same league as TeraCopy, as regards a Windows copy/move replacement.

With TeraCopy, you get md5 checking and you can do comparisons, and best of all, you can queue up jobs from various locations to various destinations .... and even add to existing jobs. The process even continues to work when individual elements fail, and doesn't spit the dummy (like Windows does) at a bad copy etc, just reports every instance when finished, and you get the ability to try again for just those files. You get even more with the paid for Pro version. My memory of RoboCopy, is that it is a very different kind of fish and much more complex.

TeraCopy can be as seamless as you like it too - either fully replacing the regular Windows processes, or like I use it, via right-click and/or copy and drag ... which is brilliant, as I can still use the regular Windows processes for small stuff if I so wish.

In fact, I recall hearing or reading somewhere, that Microsoft were interested in the product ... it's that good.

EDIT

When copying/moving lots of files and/or big files (especially) around, I've known Windows to fail and not advise. Generally you don't realize this until a later date, when you come across 0 byte files. This is usually from one harddrive to another, and appears to be a memory related issue regarding indexing. This happens with TeraCopy too in the same circumstances, but the difference, is that it gets reported and you can see immediately what elements failed and can very simply select just them in the GUI to try again and again and again, until they all succeed. This happens on some PC's more than others, and most people are unaware of the Windows failures, until it is too late (years hence). If you think it hasn't happened to you, then I'm sorry, but I have some bad news for you.

I'm lucky, because I always keep multiple copies of my files on different drives/discs/etc.

In fact, I only became aware of the problem, when I decided to relocate some stuff years later, using CDCheck (works with disc and drive folders) to make sure all copied ok.

I rarely use CDCheck now, because TeraCopy is that good.

Once I realized there was an issue, and until I came across TeraCopy, I had to double and triple check every important Copy and Move I did ... for years. Being aware of the issue, and checking, I also discovered how often (to my disgust) the errors occur, without notification.

TeraCopy has been a brilliant step forward and gives me peace of mind.

EDIT 2

I've wondered for decades, why many of the features available now with TeraCopy, weren't standard abilities in the regular Windows' processes. I could never understand why Microsoft never improved something, that we use many times a day, that was so hugely lacking.

EDIT 3

TeraCopy also has a command-line ability, which I regularly use in scripted automation.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png