help on listview sorting

Good morning to all,

I'm starting to work with autoit and I have a problem with the sorting of the listview. I saw that there are many examples in the forum but I could not figure it out. In the example below I want to sort in ascending order the various elements of listview immediately after their insertion but do not understand where I'm wrong

#include <DateTimeConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <ListViewConstants.au3>
#include <GUIListView.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
$Form1_1 = GUICreate("Form1", 200, 300, 200, 200)
$ListView1 = GUICtrlCreateListView("Date", 5, 5, 190, 250)
GUICtrlSendMsg(-1, $LVM_SETCOLUMNWIDTH, 0, 200)
$Date1 = GUICtrlCreateDate("2013/04/03 14:34:10", 5, 265, 190, 25, 0)
$sortFlag = True
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
While 1
$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
Switch $nMsg
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Exit
Case $Date1
$myDate = GUICtrlRead($Date1)
if _GUICtrlListView_FindInText($ListView1, $myDate, -1) = -1 Then
$lvIndex = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($ListView1)
_GUICtrlListView_InsertItem($ListView1, $myDate, $lvIndex)
_GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort($ListView1, $sortFlag, 0)
EndIf
EndSwitch
WEnd

Can anyone help me?

thanks!

Sergio

Try modifying the listview creation line like this.

$ListView1 = GUICtrlCreateListView("Date", 5, 5, 190, 250, $LVS_SORTASCENDING)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BrewManNH,

many thanks for your advice that works well.

However I have not yet understood why the _GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort function () does not automatically update the sorting each time it is called..

bye

Sergio

The reason it's not sorting correctly is because the _GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort function uses _ArraySort to sort the incoming information in the array, and _ArraySort uses _ArrayReverse to reverse the array every time. So it appears that what is happening is that the information gets sorted correctly, but every other time through the function the contents are reversed. The listview is getting sorted, but it's reversing it so it gets sorted ascending then descending then back to ascending ad infinitum.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I re-wrote _GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort and submitted to the next version of AutoIt. This is what I created.

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort
; Description ...: Sorts a list-view control (limited)
; Syntax.........: _GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort($hWnd, ByRef $vDescending, $iCol)
; Parameters ....: $hWnd        - Handle to the control
;                  $vDescending - Can be:
;                  | True       - Sort Descending
;                  | False      - Sort Ascending
;                  +Array       - With the following format:
;                  |[0]         - First Column
;                  |[1]         - Second Column
;                  |[n]         - Last Column
;                  $iCol        - Column number
; Return values .: None
; Author ........: Gary Frost (gafrost)
; Modified.......: guinness - Re-write of function to remove magic numbers and unnecessary use of UBound.
; Remarks .......: This is a basic sort fuction, for advanced sort see GUICtrlRegisterListViewSort
; Related .......: GUICtrlRegisterListViewSort
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: Yes
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort($hWnd, ByRef $vDescending, $iCol)
    If $Debug_LV Then __UDF_ValidateClassName($hWnd, $__LISTVIEWCONSTANT_ClassName)

Local $iItemCount = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($hWnd)
    If $iItemCount Then
        Local $iDescending = 0
        If IsArray($vDescending) Then
            $iDescending = $vDescending[$iCol]
        Else
            $iDescending = $vDescending
        EndIf
        Local $vSeparatorChar = Opt('GUIDataSeparatorChar')
        Local $iColumnCount = _GUICtrlListView_GetColumnCount($hWnd)
        Local Enum $iIndexValue = $iColumnCount, $iItemParam ; Additional columns for the index value and ItemParam
        Local $aListViewItems[$iItemCount][$iColumnCount + 2]

Local $aSelectedItems = StringSplit(_GUICtrlListView_GetSelectedIndices($hWnd), $vSeparatorChar)
        Local $aCheckedItems = StringSplit(__GUICtrlListView_GetCheckedIndices($hWnd), $vSeparatorChar)
        Local $sItemText, $iFocused = -1
        For $i = 0 To $iItemCount - 1 ; Rows
            If $iFocused = -1 Then
                If _GUICtrlListView_GetItemFocused($hWnd, $i) Then $iFocused = $i
            EndIf
            _GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected($hWnd, $i, False)
            _GUICtrlListView_SetItemChecked($hWnd, $i, False)
            For $j = 0 To $iColumnCount - 1 ; Columns
                $sItemText = StringStripWS(_GUICtrlListView_GetItemText($hWnd, $i, $j), 2)
                If (StringIsFloat($sItemText) Or StringIsInt($sItemText)) Then
                    $aListViewItems[$i][$j] = Number($sItemText)
                Else
                    $aListViewItems[$i][$j] = $sItemText
                EndIf
            Next
            $aListViewItems[$i][$iIndexValue] = $i ; Index value
            $aListViewItems[$i][$iItemParam] = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemParam($hWnd, $i) ; ItemParam
        Next

; Sort the ListView array
        _ArraySort($aListViewItems, $iDescending, 0, 0, $iCol)

For $i = 0 To $iItemCount - 1 ; Rows
            For $j = 0 To $iColumnCount - 1 ; Columns
                _GUICtrlListView_SetItemText($hWnd, $i, $aListViewItems[$i][$j], $j)
            Next

_GUICtrlListView_SetItemParam($hWnd, $i, $aListViewItems[$i][$iItemParam]) ; ItemParam

For $j = 1 To $aSelectedItems[0]
                If $aListViewItems[$i][$iIndexValue] = $aSelectedItems[$j] Then
                    If $aListViewItems[$i][$iIndexValue] = $iFocused Then
                        _GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected($hWnd, $i, True, True)
                    Else
                        _GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected($hWnd, $i, True)
                    EndIf
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            Next
            For $j = 1 To $aCheckedItems[0]
                If $aListViewItems[$i][$iIndexValue] = $aCheckedItems[$j] Then
                    _GUICtrlListView_SetItemChecked($hWnd, $i, True)
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            Next
        Next
            $vDescending[$iCol] = Not $iDescending
        Else
            $vDescending = Not $iDescending
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

It does the same thing that the original does, it sorts the list ascending, then descending, then ascending etc, everytime you add a new item to the listview.

It's optimised from Gary's version.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

But based on your description the optimization seems to be of cosmetic nature. No new functions or faster processing.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I just figured out why this is happening with both functions, the original and the rewrite. The parameter $sortflag is passed to the function ByRef, at the end of the sort function that variable is reversed from True/False to False/True, so the next time you call the function, the $sortflag has been changed from its original value of True to False, and every subsequent call to the function reverses its value back and forth.

EDIT: I'm not sure why that the last part of the function was even put in there. Shouldn't the person using the function decide whether the column sort should be sorted the other way around the next time the function is called and not arbitrarily have it changed "under the hood"? Not only that, there's no mention that the function changes your sort direction setting after it's ended.

$vDescending[$iCol] = Not $iDescending
        Else
            $vDescending = Not $iDescending
        EndIf
Edited by BrewManNH

But based on your description the optimization seems to be of cosmetic nature. No new functions or faster processing.

The previous version was incomprehensible to understand from an average users perspective.

I can't see what is wrong with the last part.

UDF List:

Your comment says that you removed magic numbers and unnecessary use of UBound. That's what I meant with "cosmetic".

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I was agreeing with you.

UDF List:

What I means i: How can removing of magic numbers and UBound make a function easier to understand?

Usually the users don't try to understand the coding of a function. They use it as a black box and are happy if the function does what they need.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I did it for those who work on the UDFs i.e. me!

UDF List:

I can't see what is wrong with the last part.

Is this in reference to what I posted in my edit?

Yes.

UDF List:

My problem with the last part of this function is that it's doing something it shouldn't. It's inverting the value of the incoming variable for no good reason.

I could understand if this wasn't set up to select ascending or descending, and you wanted to reverse the sort of the items in the column of a list view that you clicked on every time you click on it. But, if you have a parameter that can be set to either sort ascending or descending, why on earth is it being changed inside the function? This shouldn't be set up this way in a production UDF because it's nonsensical to have it inverting incoming parameters for no reason, and then it's not even documented that your incoming sort direction parameter is getting changed every time you use the function. There's no reason to use ByRef on that parameter, and there's no reason to have it get inverted inside the function.

That's what's wrong with that section.