Using a UDV with a Run command

Guest Synthetic ID

Guest Synthetic ID

A friend guided me to AutoIt about 2 days ago, cause I hated having a dos window open during a .BAT file being ran. Right now, I am trying to add a variable of $path, which I have used as an input box in a GUI to get a path name that the user enters, but I wanted to try to use the stored variable in a run command. Here is the snippets of my code where it involves the $path variable

$path = GuiCtrlCreateInput("D:\DVD_VIDEO\{movie}\VIDEO_TS\{filename.vob}",10,25,294,20)
RunWait("C:\Program Files\AutoGK\DGMPGDec\DGIndex.exe -AIF=[{$path}] -OF=[""] -exit","",@SW_MINIMIZE)

I've tried it like that, as well, I've also tried to unquote where the $path begins and the $path variable ends, with no luck (i.e. "... -AIF=["$path"]...").

Is this even possible or am I trying to hard?

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's to call me an idiot :whistle:

Welcome to the forums!

Variables aren't recognised within a string. Also, if you use double quotes within a string that is surrounded by them then you need to either double up on the internal ones or use single quotes around the string instead.

$path = GuiCtrlCreateInput("D:\DVD_VIDEO\{movie}\VIDEO_TS\{filename.vob}", 10, 25, 294, 20)
RunWait('C:\Program Files\AutoGK\DGMPGDec\DGIndex.exe -AIF=[{' & $path & '}] -OF=[""] -exit', "", @SW_MINIMIZE)

Guest Synthetic ID

I've tried double quoting and every other possible method I can think, but if variables aren't passable within a string then I guess, I'll have to think of something else. Thanks a lot. The script I wrote up there is wrong as well, I edited it before I pasted it in, but oh well. Thanks for your help. :whistle:

Don't dispare so quickly... LxP said that variables are not recognized "within" a string -- not that they couldn't be passed "with" a string.

He showed you an example how you can do it (notice the &'s)

To illustrate:

$a = "John"
$b = "Smith"

$x = "$a $b"
$y = $a & $b
$z = $a & " " & $b

$x is now the string "$a $b" because variable substitution is not done inside quotes.

$y is now the string "JohnSmith" and $z is "John Smith"

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Guest Synthetic ID

I tried a few other methods, and I had one to work, where I set a variable and it grabbed the $path variable with GUICtrlRead($path) and then it grabbed it in the clipboard, and pasted it into a temp.bat file, where it ran it using _RunDOS, although, I was having errors, which I eventually debugged. Although, I still had one with DGIndex.exe which I figured out and tried to fix, but now my whole set up isn't working. I am gonna try your idea DaleHohm, and see what the result will become. I am quite the noob at this, and of course I had to make something that required thought, lol.

Thanks for your help guys.