Script not working after build

Ok, so I'm working on a script to automate a task for my organization, something I've done many times. While writing the script I press "f5" to run and test. All is working well unless I "build/compile" the script into an executable. When I run the executable version the script stops after the copying process. Any help or suggestions?

#include 
#include 
#include 
#include 
#include 
#include 
#include 
#include 

$drive = ""
$cursor = mousegetcursor()

while $drive = ""
$drive = FileSelectFolder("select drive","")
$drive2 = stringleft($drive,2)
if $drive = "" Then
msgbox(0,"Error", "no drive selected")
EndIf
WEnd

$pid = run(@comspec & " /c" & 'format ' & $drive2 & ' /v:BaseDrive /Q /X /FS:NTFS',"",@sw_maximize)
sleep(500)
send("{enter}")
while processexists($pid)
WEnd

;~ msgbox(0,"test",@scriptdir)
;~ runwait("xcopy '" &@scriptdir & "\root files\*.*' /z /y /e /d " & $drive)
;~ filecopy(@scriptdir & "\root files\*.*",$drive)
_filecopy(@scriptdir & "\root files\*.*",$drive)

;~ 4 Do not display a progress dialog box.
;~ 8 Give the file being operated on a new name in a move, copy, or rename operation if a file with the target name already exists.
;~ 16 Respond with "Yes to All" for any dialog box that is displayed.
;~ 64 Preserve undo information, if possible.
;~ 128 Perform the operation on files only if a wildcard file name (*.*) is specified.
;~ 256 Display a progress dialog box but do not show the file names.
;~ 512 Do not confirm the creation of a new directory if the operation requires one to be created.
;~ 1024 Do not display a user interface if an error occurs.
;~ 2048 Version 4.71. Do not copy the security attributes of the file.
;~ 4096 Only operate in the local directory. Don't operate recursively into subdirectories.
;~ 9182 Version 5.0. Do not copy connected files as a group. Only copy the specified files.

Func _fileCopy($fromFile,$tofile)
Local $FOF_RESPOND_YES = 16
Local $FOF_SIMPLEPROGRESS = 256
$winShell = ObjCreate("shell.application")
$winShell.namespace($tofile).CopyHere($fromFile,$FOF_RESPOND_YES)
EndFunc

dircreate($drive & "TrueCrypt")
sleep(1000)

_filecopy2(@scriptdir & "\truecrypt\*.*",$drive & "TrueCrypt\")

Func _FileCopy2($fromFile2,$tofile2)
$winShell.namespace($tofile2).CopyHere($fromFile2,$FOF_RESPOND_YES)
EndFunc

Sleep(1000)
Run($drive2 & "\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt Format.exe", "",@SW_SHOW)
winactivate("TrueCrypt","Select &File...")
winwaitactive("TrueCrypt","Select &File...")
SEND("!c")
winactivate("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard")
WinWaitActive("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard")
send("!n")
send("!n")
WinWaitActive("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","Volume Location")
opt("mousecoordmode",0)
$posarray = wingetpos("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","Volume Location")
$xcenter = ($posarray[2]/2)
$ycenter = ($posarray[3]/2)
mousemove($xcenter,$ycenter)
while $cursor <> 5

;~ sleep(1000)
mousemove($xcenter,$ycenter,1)
$ycenter -= 10

WEnd
mouseclick("left")
;~ send("{esc}")
send($drive & "Truecrypt\truecryptvolume")
send("!n")
send("!n")
winwaitactive("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","Encryption Options")
send("!n")
send("!m")
send("+{tab}")
$space = Round(DriveSpaceFree($drive) -16)
send($space)
send("!n")
send("password")
send("{tab}")
send("password")
send("!n")
winwaitactive("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","WARNING:",1)
send("!y")
$var = 0
while $var < 10
opt("mousecoordmode",0)
$posarray = wingetpos("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","Volume Format")
$xcenter = ($posarray[2]/2)
$ycenter = ($posarray[3]/2)
mousemove($xcenter,$ycenter)
if $var < 10 Then
mousemove($xcenter,$ycenter-100)
$var += 1
EndIf
WEnd

;~ sleep(5000)
winactivate("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","Volume Format")
send("!f")
winwaitactive("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","The TrueCrypt volume has been successfully created.")
send("{enter}")
winactivate("TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard","Volume Created")
send("!{f4}")
sleep(1000)
winactivate("TrueCrypt","Select &File...")
winwaitactive("TrueCrypt","Select &File...")
send("!x")
filedelete($drive & "\auto encrypt.exe")
filedelete($drive & "\encrypt_drive.bat")
FileSetAttrib($drive & "\autorun.inf","+sh")
filesetattrib($drive & "\truecrypt","+sh")

• Moderators

Take a look at TrayIconDebug in the help file. When enabled, it can give you some information about which line your script is stalling at.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I don't know why it does not work, it's supposed to add a MsgBox debug line.

Do it manually like this :

$iSleep = Sleep(500) ;func to debug
MsgBox(262144, "Debug line ~" & @ScriptLineNumber, "Selection:" & @lf & "$i = Sleep(500)" & @lf & @lf & "Return: " & @lf & $iSleep & @lf & "Error: " & @error) ;### Debug MSGBOX

Br, FireFox.

Edited by FireFox

ok, i don't know what i'm doing wrong but when i click the option from tools or i press the keys "ctrl+shift+d" nothing happens, is something supposed to?

You need to install the full version of Scite4Autoit3 and have a saved .au3 script in the editor.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

ok, thank you BrewMan installing the "full" version seem to have done the trick allowing me to add the msgbox debug, plus it looks like i've got a lot more options in the script editor. So now i need same assistance with my script. on $winShell.namespace($tofile).copyhere($fromfile,$fof_respond_yes) seems to be where it stops working but i don't get a msgbox after it runs because the script just closes out.

Func _fileCopy($fromFile,$tofile)

MsgBox(262144,'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber,'Selection:' & @lf & ' $winShell' & @lf & @lf & 'Return:' & @lf & $winShell) ;### Debug MSGBOX
MsgBox(262144,'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber,'Selection:' & @lf & ' $winShell.namespace' & @lf & @lf & 'Return:' & @lf & $winShell.namespace) ;### Debug MSGBOX

EndFunc

if i "F5" the script now the msgbox errors out and if i build it it does the same thing it's been doing where the script just closes out after it starts copying.

Are you trying to copy a file using this script? Because there are a lot easier ways to do it than using objects.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Ok, I think i've got it figured out. I had a "autorun.inf" file to be copied. for some reason that file was causing the script to end. rename it to something else works just fine. The strange thing is it would work just fine unless ran as an executable. so i guess i'll have it copy it over as a "tmp file" then rename it. and suggestions as to why this "broke" the script?

There's no progress bar in the script you posted, but you can easily add one. There's a link in my signature that points to a customizable GUI with embedded progress bar and label that would help.

#include <File.au3>
Global $aFileList = _FileListToArray("C:\Windows", "*", 1) ; list of files only
Global $sDestinationFoler = "C:\Temp"
Global $iCount = $aFileList[0]
$aProgressGUI= _ProgressGUI("Copying file # 1 of " & $iCount, 1)
For $Loop = 1 to $iCount
    ;here's where you're copying the files
    ;FileCopy(""C:\Windows\" & $aFileList[$Loop], $sDestinationFolder)
    GUICtrlSetData($aProgressGUI[1], Int(($Loop/$iCount)* 100)) ; updates the progress bar
    GUICtrlSetData($aProgressGUI[2], "Copying file # " & $Loop & " of " & $iCount & @CRLF & "Filename - " & $aFileList[$Loop]) ; updates the label text
    Sleep(100) ; only used for the demo, not needed in a real script
Next

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........:  _ProgressGui
; Description ...:  A small splash screen type GUI with a progress bar and a configurable label
; Syntax.........:  _ProgressGUI($s_MsgText = "Text Message", $s_MarqueeType = 0, $i_Fontsize = 14, $s_Font = "Arial", $i_XSize = 290, $i_YSize = 100, $b_GUIColor = -1, $b_FontColor = -1)
; Parameters ....:  $s_MsgText   - Text to display on the GUI
;                   $s_MarqueeType - [optional] Style of Progress Bar you want to use
;                       0 = Marquee style [default]
;                       1 = Normal Progress Bar style
;                   $i_Fontsize - [optional] The font size that you want to display the $s_MsgText at [default = 14]
;                   $s_Font - [optional] The font you want the message to use [default = "Arial"]
;                   $i_XSize - [optional] Width of the GUI [Default = 290] - Minimum size is 80
;                   $i_YSize - [optional] Height of the GUI [Default = 100] - Minimum size is 100
;                   $b_GUIColor  - [optional] Background color of the GUI [default = 0x00080FF = Blue]
;                   $s_FontColor - [optional] Color of the text message [default = 0x0FFFC19 = Yellow]
; Return values .:  Success - An array containing the following information
;                       $Array[0] - ControlID of the GUI created
;                       $Array[1] - ControlID  of the ProgressBar control
;                       $Array[2] - ControlID of the label
;                   Failure - 0 and @error to 1 if the GUI couldn't be created
;
; Author ........:  Bob Marotte (BrewManNH)
; Remarks .......:  This will create a customizable GUI with a progress bar. The default style of the progress bar using this function is the
;                   Marquee style of progress bar. If you call this function with any positive, non-zero number in the $s_MarqueeType
;                   parameter it will use the normal progress bar style. All optional parameters will accept the "Default" keyword, an empty
;                   string "", or -1 if passed to the function.  Use the return value to delete the GUI when you're done using it
;                   (ex. GUIDelete($Returnvalue[0]))
; Related .......:  None
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:  No
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _ProgressGUI($s_MsgText = "Text Message", $s_MarqueeType = 0, $i_Fontsize = 14, $s_Font = "Arial", $i_XSize = 290, $i_YSize = 100, $b_GUIColor = -1, $b_FontColor = -1)
    Local $PBMarquee[3]
;~  UDF Constants so no includes are needed
    Local Const $PG_WS_POPUP = 0x80000000 ; same as the $WS_POPUP constant in WindowsConstants.au3
    Local Const $PG_WS_DLGFRAME = 0x00400000 ; same as the $WS_DLGFRAME constant in WindowsConstants.au3
    Local Const $PG_PBS_MARQSMTH = 9 ; BitOr of $PBS_SMOOTH and $PBS_MARQUEE
    Local Const $PG_PBS_SMTH = 1 ; same as the $PBS_SMOOTH constant in ProgressConstants.au3
    Local Const $PG_PBM_SETMARQUEE = 1034 ; same as the $PBM_SETMARQUEE constant in ProgressConstants.au3
    ; bounds checking/correcting
    If $i_Fontsize = "" Or $i_Fontsize = Default Or $i_Fontsize = "-1" Then $i_Fontsize = 14 ; use the default setting of 14 for font size
    If $i_Fontsize < 1 Then $i_Fontsize = 1 ; minimum font size is 1
    If $i_XSize = "" Or $i_XSize = "-1" Or $i_XSize = Default Then $i_XSize = 290 ; use the default setting for X dimension of the GUI
    If $i_XSize < 80 Then $i_XSize = 80 ; minimum X dimension is 80
    If $i_XSize > @DesktopWidth - 50 Then $i_XSize = @DesktopWidth - 50 ; maximum X dimension is Desktop Width - 50
    If $i_YSize = "" Or $i_YSize = "-1" Or $i_YSize = Default Then $i_YSize = 100 ; use the default setting for Y dimension of the GUI
    If $i_YSize > @DesktopHeight - 50 Then $i_YSize = @DesktopHeight - 50 ; maximum y dimension is Desktop Height - 50
    If $i_YSize < 100 Then $i_YSize = 100 ; minimum Y dimension is 100
    If $s_Font = "" Or $s_Font = "-1" Or $s_Font = "Default" Then $s_Font = "Arial" ; use the default font type
    ;create the GUI
    $PBMarquee[0] = GUICreate("", $i_XSize, $i_YSize, -1, -1, BitOR($PG_WS_DLGFRAME, $PG_WS_POPUP))
    If @error Then Return SetError(@error, 0, 0) ; if there's any error with creating the GUI, return the error code
    Switch $b_GUIColor ; background color of the GUI
        Case "-1", Default; Used to set the default color
            GUISetBkColor(0x00080FF, $PBMarquee[0])
        Case ""
            ; don't set a default color, use the theme's coloring
        Case Else ; set the BG color of the GUI to the user provided color
            GUISetBkColor($b_GUIColor, $PBMarquee[0])
    EndSwitch
    ;   Create the progressbar
    If $s_MarqueeType < 1 Then ; if $s_MarqueeType < 1 then use the Marquee style progress bar
        $PBMarquee[1] = GUICtrlCreateProgress(20, $i_YSize - 20, $i_XSize - 40, 15, $PG_PBS_MARQSMTH) ; uses the $PBS_SMOOTH and $PBS_MARQUEE style
        GUICtrlSendMsg($PBMarquee[1], $PG_PBM_SETMARQUEE, True, 20) ; change last parameter to change update speed of marquee style PB
    Else ; If $s_MarqueeType > 0 then use the normal style progress bar
        $PBMarquee[1] = GUICtrlCreateProgress(20, $i_YSize - 20, $i_XSize - 40, 15, $PG_PBS_SMTH) ; Use the $PBS_SMOOTH style
    EndIf
    ;   Create the label
    $PBMarquee[2] = GUICtrlCreateLabel($s_MsgText, 20, 20, $i_XSize - 40, $i_YSize - 45) ; create the label for the GUI
    GUICtrlSetFont($PBMarquee[2], $i_Fontsize, 400, Default, $s_Font)
    Switch $b_FontColor
        Case "-1", Default; Used to set the default color of the label
            GUICtrlSetColor($PBMarquee[2], 0x0FFFC19)
        Case ""
            ; don't set a default color, use the theme's coloring
        Case Else
            GUICtrlSetColor($PBMarquee[2], $b_FontColor)
    EndSwitch
    GUISetState()
    Return SetError(0, 0, $PBMarquee) ;Return an array containing the ControlIDs of the GUI, Progress bar, and the Label (in that order)
EndFunc   ;==>_ProgressGUI

Here's a quick demo that shows one way to do it.

_filecopy(@scriptdir & "\truecrypt\*.*",$drive & "TrueCrypt\")

Func _FileCopy($fromFile,$tofile)
EndFunc

I'll take a look at your script but this is a snipit from mine... basically it opens the windows file copy dialogue. and like i mentioned it works great if i don't have that autorun.inf file in the directory. and i just tried a filemove to rename the file but same thing the script closes out. autoit just does not like autorun.inf files it looks like.

AutoIt isn't being used to do the file copy, Windows is. You're using an Windows shell object to copy the file, AutoIt is only giving you access to it. Use FileCopy and get out of the VBScript mindset.

even with filecopy it's still killing the script. I don't know why but i can use filecopy just fine without the autorun.inf file in the directory that i am copying the files from... but if there is a file in there named autorun.inf it kills the script, but not if i use f5 out of script editor. I don't understand this doesn't make sense.