RegWrite a String fails

Hi,

wan't to use the following script to change a regentry, but writing fails. Hope anyone knows why? When i declare another var - like $writestring = "1234" - then it works. Hope you could help me. Thanks

$regread = RegRead ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2", "Settings")
$splitstring = StringSplit ($regread, "")
$replacestring = StringSplit ($CmdLineRaw, "")
$splitstring[17] = $replacestring [1]
$splitstring[18] = $replacestring [2]
Dim $writestring
For $i = 1 To $splitstring[0]
    $writestring = $writestring & $splitstring[$i]
Next
RegWrite ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2", "Settings1", "REG_Binary", $writestring)

Cyclops

Sorry for my cruel english :D

what's the value of $writestring before you write it?

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

Hi,

wan't to use the following script to change a regentry, but writing fails. Hope anyone knows why? When i declare another var - like $writestring = "1234" - then it works. Hope you could help me. Thanks

$regread = RegRead ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2", "Settings")
$splitstring = StringSplit ($regread, "")
$replacestring = StringSplit ($CmdLineRaw, "")
$splitstring[17] = $replacestring [1]
$splitstring[18] = $replacestring [2]
Dim $writestring
For $i = 1 To $splitstring[0]
    $writestring = $writestring & $splitstring[$i]
Next
RegWrite ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2", "Settings1", "REG_Binary", $writestring)

Cyclops

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

question...

it looks like you're trying to write a string (or number like 1234 from your example) as a binary value?

Yes, i looked in the help and there i found that:

When writing a REG_BINARY key use a string of hex characters, e.g. the REG_BINARY value of 01,a9,ff,77 can be written by using the string "01A9FF77".

So i thougtm that i must only change it and then rewrite it... Between $regread and $writestring isn't a optical difference only the two changed strings...

Sorry for my cruel english :D

So i thougtm that i must only change it and then rewrite it...  Between $regread and $writestring isn't a optical difference only the two changed strings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you may want to check your values after read and before write, and make sure you're writing what you intend to. also you may want to verify that the value you're trying to assign is supposed to be a REG_BINARY....

• Developers

So i thougtm that i must only change it and then rewrite it...  Between $regread and $writestring isn't a optical difference only the two changed strings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like Kurt asked: What is the value of $writestring when doing the RegWrite() statement ? (if it doesn't contain a proper HEX value, the RegWrite() will fail)

Also check the returncode of RegWrite to see if its 0 or 1.

$rc = RegWrite()

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)