[SOLVED]_GUICtrlListBox_AddString() & _GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString()

JonBMN

These two function from the GuiListBox.au3 file are similar, but different.

My question is if there is nothing in the listbox and I use _GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString() it won't add the string to the listbox because nothing was put there before, but if I add a whitespace in the value by doing " " it then can replace it. Why is it that I have to use _GUICtrlListBox_AddString() then _GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString() when in theory you can always replace essentially nothing ie: "".

Is there any other functions in a library similar to this that can do the task I described above without using two functions and instead just one?

Edited by JonBMN

Did you look at _GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString in the UDF? If you do it will explain what is happening.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Yes, I did. I understand that it only replaces a string, not nothing. My question was is there a function that can do both Add and Replace, but only replace when there is a value in it. Could this be in a different library? If no that's fine was just wondering!

P.S. Here is the documentation on the ReplaceString function. http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/libfunctions/_GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString.htm

Almost bare.

Edited by JonBMN

Bare? What would you recommended then?

You have to create your own. Simple as that I'm afraid.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Is there any other functions in a library similar to this that can do the task I described above without using two functions and instead just one?

I could be misreading your post here.

Your saying there is no function that can do both and that I should go make my own?

Or you just don't know?

Edited by JonBMN

Why are you quoting yourself? Provide a working example of what you expect and I will give you a better answer.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Because you keep referring to me like I'm asking you about ReplaceString when I'm asking you if you know of any libraries with a similar function that does the add and replace in one; instead of AddString then ReplaceString.

I will give a simple example of what I want to happen..

::simple example::

Func addOrReplace($handle, $index, $text)
    If $text <> "" Then
        _GUICtrlListBox_AddString($handle, $text)
    Else
        _GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString($handle, $index, $text)
    EndIf
EndFunc

I know I could do that myself, I was just wondering if there was a library out there that did what I just described above without using GUICtrlListBox_AddString and GUICtrlListBox_ReplaceString.

Edited by JonBMN

I gave you the answer in post #4. Also the example doesn't make much sense as the index is reset to 0, so why have a user parameter?

What about _GUICtrlListBox_InsertString OR/AND _GUICtrlListBox_DeleteString.

UDF List:

I asked you to explain what you meant and you didn't until post #8 where you said "I gave you the answer in post #4".

Answer: Make your own

now since I know the answer, what did you mean about InsertString AND/OR DeleteString?

also about this user parameter? I don't see where I specified a $user parameter

Edited by JonBMN

You edited the example in post #7, but this is what I meant.

Func addOrReplace($handle, $index, $text) ; Surely it should be this? ...$handle, $text)
    $index = 0 ; Why reset the index to 0? Or why have a parameter if it's just going to be reset to 0?
    If $text <> "" Then
    Else
    EndIf
EndFunc

Plus editing your posts isn't helping. A prime example is post #5 where all you had was a quote and nothing more. Take your time to post and don't rush into it.

Those functions are for you to check out. From what you've showed if $text contains an empty string then replace the index with the empty string, therefore isn't this similar to deleting it.

I'm trying to help you, so please don't make things more difficult than they already have been.

UDF List:

You need an $Index for the ReplaceString function without that you will have the wrong number of arguements. You are correct I had the if statement in the wrong order. it should be this:

Func addOrReplace($handle, $index, $text)
    If $text <> "" Then
    Else
    EndIf
EndFunc

I understand I will take more time before posting, but I have to say and I'm not trying to have a heated discussion, that my question in post one could have been answered with your post #4 with some clarity in your first reply.

Being that you were only trying to understand what I wanted to know I apologize for trying to rush an answer out of you.

I still don't get why you don't delete the string instead of replacing it with a blank string.

UDF List:

You don't even need the replace.

Func AddOrReplace($hWnd, $iIndex, $sText)
    If Not ($sText == '') Then
        _GUICtrlListBox_InsertString($hWnd, $iIndex, $sText)
    Else
        _GUICtrlListBox_DeleteString($hWnd, $iIndex)
    EndIf
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>AddOrReplace

UDF List:

You don't even need the replace.

Else
    EndIf
    Return True
EndFunc ;==>AddOrReplace

I think your if statement is a little messed up. Your essentially saying if their is a string then insert a string otherwise delete the nothingness.

If $sText == "" Then

Else
EndIf
Return True
EndFunc ;==>AddOrReplace

This would essentially like you said delete the string if its not empty, otherwise if there is nothing in the first place then Insert your string.

Am I correct?

Edited by JonBMN

Not ($sText == "") is the same as $sText <> "" from the previous example.

I think you need to go back and work out what you're trying to achieve as I'm now seeing two contradicting statements. As I've understood, if the text is empty delete the index item, otherwise add/insert it. Am I right?

UDF List:

You are correct. I got a little messed up in my logic.

Thank you for the help guinness I appreciate it greatly.

Your code was correct from post #14:

Else
    EndIf
    Return True
EndFunc ;==>AddOrReplace

I'm glad we got there in the end. -_0

UDF List: