RunAsWait failed return value, but successful process

Hello!

Can someone offer some advice as to why this process is coming back as failed when it appears to be successful? This is a process that needs to run under a non-administrative user account.

$sUserName = "XXXXX"
$sPassword = "XXXXX"

Global $FileCopyINF

$FileCopyINF = RunAsWait($sUserName, @ComputerName, $sPassword, 0, FileCopy("C:\Windows\INF\usbstor.inf", "C:\Windows\INF\usbstor.inf.old", 1), @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE)

;test output
MsgBox(0, "Test", "Returned value for $FileCopyINF: ", $FileCopyINF)

If $FileCopyINF = 0 Then
$CopyValueINF = "Failure"
Else
$CopyValueINF = "Success"
EndIf

MsgBox(0, "File Copy Results", 'Results of the File "Copy" process...' & @CRLF & @CRLF & " C:\Windows\INF\usbstor.inf................Rename to: usbstor.inf.old [" & $CopyValueINF & "]")
Exit

The test message output = 0 and the results message comes back as [Failure], but a copy of the file is created.

Before:

usbstor.inf

After:

usbstor.inf

usbstor.inf.old

I'm sure this is just a simple brain freeze on my end but I don't want to push forward without understanding the output.

Thanks!

Edited by HockeyFan

• Developers

This is not how RunAsWait() works. It will only shell a program, not a function.

It cannot perform another AutoIt3 function in this way with alleviated rights!

This is an UDF I use that can do that:

Func RunReqAdmin($Autoit3Commands, $prompt = 0)
    Local $temp_Script = _TempFile(@TempDir, "~", ".au3")
    Local $temp_check = _TempFile(@TempDir, "~", ".chk")
    FileWriteLine($temp_check, 'TempFile')
    FileWriteLine($temp_Script, '#NoTrayIcon')
    If Not IsAdmin() Then
        FileWriteLine($temp_Script, '#RequireAdmin')
        If $prompt = 1 Then MsgBox(262144, "Need Admin mode", "Admin mode is needed for this update. Answer the following prompts to allow the update.")
    EndIf
    FileWriteLine($temp_Script, $Autoit3Commands)
    FileWriteLine($temp_Script, "FileDelete('" & $temp_check & "')")
    If @Compiled Then
        RunWait('"' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $temp_Script & '"')
    Else
        RunWait('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $temp_Script & '"')
    EndIf
    ; Wait for the script to finish
    While FileExists($temp_check)
        Sleep(50)
    WEnd
    FileDelete($temp_Script)
EndFunc   ;==>RunReqAdmin
Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

This is not how RunAsWait() works. It will only shell a program, not a function.

It cannot perform another AutoIt3 function in this way with alleviated rights!

This is an UDF I use that can do that:

Func RunReqAdmin($Autoit3Commands, $prompt = 0)
Local $temp_Script = _TempFile(@TempDir, "~", ".au3")
Local $temp_check = _TempFile(@TempDir, "~", ".chk")
FileWriteLine($temp_check, 'TempFile')
FileWriteLine($temp_Script, '#NoTrayIcon')
If Not IsAdmin() Then
FileWriteLine($temp_Script, '#RequireAdmin')
If $prompt = 1 Then MsgBox(262144, "Need Admin mode", "Admin mode is needed for this update. Answer the following prompts to allow the update.")
EndIf
FileWriteLine($temp_Script, $Autoit3Commands)
FileWriteLine($temp_Script, "FileDelete('" & $temp_check & "')")
If @Compiled Then
RunWait('"' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $temp_Script & '"')
Else
RunWait('"' & @AutoItExe & '" /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $temp_Script & '"')
EndIf
; Wait for the script to finish
While FileExists($temp_check)
Sleep(50)
WEnd
FileDelete($temp_Script)
EndFunc ;==>RunReqAdmin

Jos,

That makes sense, though I wasn't sure when the script line passed the syntax checker.

To be honest, I'm not sure I totally understand your Func. Wouldn't it be the same thing if I just called an external script in the RunAsWait command? What are you passing to the Func using the $Autoit3Commands parameter? Am I wrong that this Func still requires a non-admin user to provide elevated credintials to work? That's one of the things I was trying to get around and why I didn't use #RequireAdmin.

My appologies for being a little confused...my normal S.O.P...but thanks for the reply and information.

HockeyFan

• Developers

All the UDF does is build a temp script in a tempfile adding #NoTrayIcon and #RequireAdmin on the first 2 lines.

Then adding your function and running shelling itself with the tempfile as inputscript.

The "/AutoIt3ExecuteScript" parameter will tell the Script EXE to execute the new input file and not the embedded script.

Does that make sense?

Jos :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

All the UDF does is build a temp script in a tempfile adding #NoTrayIcon and #RequireAdmin on the first 2 lines.

Then adding your function and running shelling itself with the tempfile as inputscript.

The "/AutoIt3ExecuteScript" parameter will tell the Script EXE to execute the new input file and not the embedded script.

Does that make sense?

Jos :)

Jos,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was confused about the $Autoit3Commands paramater in the Func name...Func RunReqAdmin($Autoit3Commands, $prompt = 0). What are you passing into the Func with that paramater?

Thank you for the explaination though!!. I still will need the final outcome of my script to not propmt the user to provide elevated rights.

• Developers

This is an example from from SciTEConfig:

RunReqAdmin("RegWrite('HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell', '', 'REG_SZ', 'Run')")
            RunReqAdmin("RegWrite('HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3ScriptBeta\Shell', '', 'REG_SZ', 'Run')")

Just think in terms of a script to run in Admin mode.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

This is an example from from SciTEConfig:

RunReqAdmin("RegWrite('HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell', '', 'REG_SZ', 'Run')")
            RunReqAdmin("RegWrite('HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3ScriptBeta\Shell', '', 'REG_SZ', 'Run')")

Just think in terms of a script to run in Admin mode.

Jos

Thanks Jos, ...and thanks for you help with this. I appreciate it!! Learned something new today.