ProcessExist is slow in a loop?

I have read somewhere on the Example's section ( i can't find again that thread, i remember Malba32/guinness was there ) it would be better don't use ProcessExist in a loop but another internal function.

If i remember well, ProcessExist do an array of all process and then check if process exist and add it in a loop can be slow the entire script.

Someone can confirm this?

Edited by OliverA

I'M QUIT FROM THIS FORUM!

It was fun until it lasted, hope on my future way i can't find people that offend without any reason ( i was called lazy and parasitic, and everyone agreed...United we stand, divided we fall ) just for fun because don't have anything to do in the life, without knowing anything about the person who write, noone forced to post, noone forced to help.

From the top of the from their very great superiority they not go down to my level, that people can not spread the knowledge but you have to learn by yourself.

In what way? It's easy...just search on google

For that people, wish you the best way,

Oliver Astone

Maybe you are right but i was confused from opinions of MPVs of that thread :huh:

I can't test it from here but i'll do when i'll go home.

It was fun until it lasted, hope on my future way i can't find people that offend without any reason ( i was called lazy and parasitic, and everyone agreed...United we stand, divided we fall ) just for fun because don't have anything to do in the life, without knowing anything about the person who write, noone forced to post, noone forced to help.

From the top of the from their very great superiority they not go down to my level, that people can not spread the knowledge but you have to learn by yourself.

Oliver Astone

ProcessExists isn't slow, but it eats up your CPU if you use it in a loop to check whether something is running or not. Changing from ProcessExists to checking if a specific window is open reduces CPU usage by a large margin.

Here's how I did it for the toolbar example I posted.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I was referring precisely to that thread ( i have say ...would be better don't use ProcessExist in a loop )

WinGetHandle require a title to work, if a software don't have a GUI work as the same? ( ex. spoolsv.exe ) or we need to use ProcessExist?

Thanks

Edited the title for better understanding

Edited by OliverA

Oliver Astone

No, it won't work if there's no window, hence the name WinGetHandle. You could try using ProcessList with the name of the program in a loop and see if that has as much effect as ProcessExists does.

EDIT: Don't bother testing, ProcessList is probably a bit worse for CPU usage than ProcessExists is in the test I just ran.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The bad part is ProcessExist is an internal function and i don't know how is scripted ( maybe a dev can say it ), but i'll test your solution, thanks

EDIT: Ok, thanks. So no other alternative for a less-resuorce process exist for now

Edited by OliverA

Oliver Astone

You could try this function from the WinAPIEx UDF that's included in the latest beta, or you can download from the Example scripts section.

_WinAPI_GetProcessUser($Process)

It returns an array, so you can use Ubound or IsArray to check if it returns the array, or just check for @error after calling it. $Process is the PID of the program you want to check on.

BTW, some processes might need administrator access to be able to get the array, spoolsv.exe is one of those.

Edited by BrewManNH