Wav -> MP3 automator

MrBadAxe

Haven't been using AutoIt very long, but already I love it. Haven't thought of many things I'd need to do with it, but here's one:

I was frustrated by the lack of free CD ripping utilities on the web. Those that were available either limited which tracks you could rip or how many you could rip before you would need to register the program. Then I discovered that while my music player of choice, the free version of WinAmp, would not allow me to rip tracks to MP3 without registering, it would allow me to rip to WAV without restriction. A quick search for "free audio editor" later and I had found Audacity, which would let me convert the tracks from WAV to MP3 after ripping. And because I could find no way to convert files in bulk, I wrote one.

Tell me what you think.

convertWAVtoMP3.au3

Actually you don't need the nice 'audacity' to do a convert - in related to a mp3 convert, it's the Lame library system that do the convert trick and audacity is here only a frontend...

Lame is an Open Source Project and comes with examples to convert and this could be done in a hidden background process and much faster too with the RunWait function...

Link to Lame:

http://www.mp3dev.org

kjactive :whistle:

Edited by kjactive

well some rip can be done from MSMedieplayer but you can't walk around homepages and do downloads...

Audecity on the other hand can do rip or recordings from natual source as it reads the stream or line and record what it hears and can do a mp3 saver directly if lame is available but Lame is not a ripper but a converter system that could be used in a background process if one wants to do a serie converts like between wave and mp3...

kjactive :whistle:

Edited by kjactive

Thanks for your responses all!

to SupraNatural: I think Windows Media Player only allows ripping to WMA files. Not what I'm looking for.

to others: the reason I was using Audacity was because I do some composition in a softsynth workstation, step design for Stepmania, and a little mp3 DJing for fun. It's just one of those things useful to have around when you do work like that. And now it has yet another use.

Also, Audacity automatically sets certain fields of the ID3 tag for the MP3, which, if I can automate it, why do it manually?

• 3 years later...

Thanks for your responses all!

to SupraNatural: I think Windows Media Player only allows ripping to WMA files. Not what I'm looking for.

to others: the reason I was using Audacity was because I do some composition in a softsynth workstation, step design for Stepmania, and a little mp3 DJing for fun. It's just one of those things useful to have around when you do work like that. And now it has yet another use.

Also, Audacity automatically sets certain fields of the ID3 tag for the MP3, which, if I can automate it, why do it manually?

Windows Media Player does rip to MP3 and to WAV, just right-click on the Rip tab and you can choose what you want under Format.

• 4 weeks later...

I've come across oodles of free cd ripping programs ... without any limitations, so I've got no idea how you had trouble finding any?

Anyway one of the best, that I've been using for years, is CDex. It also uses the Lame library (like most of the free ones). It will also process a folder full of sub-folders (a batch kinda thingy). It does much more, but you gotta check that out yourself.

Another great free program is Foobar2000. It can also use lame (etc), is a good replacement for Winamp, is very minimalist in visual features, but lots of options and very powerful if you like to tinkle under the hood.

That's just 2 of many. :)

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Another great free program is Foobar2000. It can also use lame (etc), is a good replacement for Winamp, is very minimalist in visual features, but lots of options and very powerful if you like to tinkle under the hood.

Yay! Another believer! fb2k is in fact the ultimate player. I have been using it for almost 4 years and so far I haven't found a single limitation in the software (mostly because the plugin SDK enables developers to do whatever they want with the software).

For example there isn't a single feature in iTunes, WMP or winamp that isn't possible in foobar.

Sorry for OT :)

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!